Crede Update

AWhiteSoxinNJ

Joe Crede-3B-White Sox May. 20 - 10:00 pm et

Joe Crede received a cortisone shot for his sore back after leaving Sunday's game.

He'll likely need a couple of days to recover. Crede still has two herniated discs in his back that he tries to manage as best he can. Alex Cintron and Pablo Ozuna will fill in for him against the A's. If Crede needs to go on the DL, then Josh Fields could be called up.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Joe Crede-3B-White Sox May. 20 - 10:00 pm et

Joe Crede received a cortisone shot for his sore back after leaving Sunday's game.

Ouch, I had 3 series of those shots a couple years ago in my lower back as well. It took a few days before being able to get back to softball practice, not fun at all, hope he's feeling better soon!

This is going to be a problem as long as he plays baseball. Is there anyone here that could add some insight as to whether or not this would be an ongoing issue had he elected to have the surgery in the offseason, and what kind of complications go along with that surgery that would make him elect not to have it?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
It might be wisest to trade him last winter, while you could still get something for him.

Oh wait a minute...

Nevermind.

It could be looked back upon as Kenny's biggest mistake with us. I can't even imagine how much we would have got for him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
what kind of complications go along with that surgery that would make him elect not to have it?

The potential of losing out on his big payday if things don't go according to plan.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
The potential of losing out on his big payday if things don't go according to plan.

\

Missing several days, getting cortisone shots and hiting .200 also will hurt the big payday chances. I was asking more on the line of why he just wouldn't do it. Maybe there is danger involved.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
\

Missing several days, getting cortisone shots and hiting .200 also will hurt the big payday chances. I was asking more on the line of why he just wouldn't do it. Maybe there is danger involved.

I am not a doctor, but I'd assume it's pretty dangerous to have surgery on a herniated disc on your back. I would guess he figured he could play through it like last year, but it hasn't worked that way.

And I REALLY hope we just DL Crede and call up Fields to play if this is significant. Despite his great play today, Pablo at 3rd is not cool and Cintron has been atrocious this year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
This is going to be a problem as long as he plays baseball. Is there anyone here that could add some insight as to whether or not this would be an ongoing issue had he elected to have the surgery in the offseason, and what kind of complications go along with that surgery that would make him elect not to have it?

I have had 3 lower back surgeries. 2 of them were fusions. I have had nothing but problems since having surgery. My advice would be do everything you can to avoid it. Once you have surgery on your back you are never the same. Some people have good results, but even they will tell you, your back is never the same once they cut you. As for complications, my last surgery has left me with no feeling in my right leg, and no strength whatsoever, and I suffer from chronic pain in both legs and also in my back still. My case is more extreme than many others, so don't take my problems that I have had, and assume someone else would have the same results. I'm just letting you know the problems you can have. Hope I helped.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
I have had 3 lower back surgeries. 2 of them were fusions. I have had nothing but problems since having surgery. My advice would be do everything you can to avoid it. Once you have surgery on your back you are never the same. Some people have good results, but even they will tell you, your back is never the same once they cut you. As for complications, my last surgery has left me with no feeling in my right leg, and no strength whatsoever, and I suffer from chronic pain in both legs and also in my back still. My case is more extreme than many others, so don't take my problems that I have had, and assume someone else would have the same results. I'm just letting you know the problems you can have. Hope I helped.

Sorry to hear that, but none of it surprises me. Back surgery seems about as serious as it gets in terms of non cancerous or neck surgeries.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
It could be looked back upon as Kenny's biggest mistake with us. I can't even imagine how much we would have got for him.

It seemed to me that the White Sox were interested in talking long-term deal if he was willing to do the surgery. Crede's skittishness, an alternate rehab plan from Herm Schneider, and Scott Boras teamed up to squash the surgery option.

Now it looks like both the Sox and Crede could lose out. Crede because he doesn't get big $, and the Sox because they don't get big return on their investment through a trade.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Cortisone shots do not heal the injury, correct? So basically he is not helping himself. For his sake, I hope he gets his back fixed, whether he is with us much longer or not.

They're steroidal, reducing inflammation. So in that sense it's probably the best thing you can do for a bulging disc. It doesn't "heal" the injury in that it's not a permanent fix, but it's certainly the best thing you can do in the short term for immediate results without rehab...

/not a doctor.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)

I have heard that, and sorry to hear about the complications. I know Scottie Pippen recovered nicely from back surgery, but I really don't know if his problem was a disc problem or not. There was someone else on the White Sox at least last year that had the same surgery Crede was considering, and they didn't have issues. There are so many things going on with your back, I can see how surgery even if it seems minor, which I have no idea if this is or not, could cause other problems.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
They're steroidal, reducing inflammation. So in that sense it's probably the best thing you can do for a bulging disc. It doesn't "heal" the injury in that it's not a permanent fix, but it's certainly the best thing you can do in the short term for immediate results without rehab...

/not a doctor.

^^^^ At least that's what I was told. I wanted to avoid back surgery at all costs, so cortisone shots were the next best option. Those didn't work for me and aren't guaranteed to help everyone else, obviously in Crede's case.

QUOTE(shaneomacfan @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
^^^^ At least that's what I was told. I wanted to avoid back surgery at all costs, so cortisone shots were the next best option. Those didn't work for me and aren't guaranteed to help everyone else, obviously in Crede's case.

And even if they work for a while, doesn't it decrease the likeliness of it working if you had to get more, and don't they limit the number of shots you can take? There's still a long way to go this season.

I know a guy who had "simple" back surgery.

He now uses a cane, can barely walk and is 27 years old with 2 little kids.

Sucks.

The back is nothing to mess with knife wise.

Joe's career may be over cause if I was him I would not have back surgery.

QUOTE(greg775 @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
I know a guy who had "simple" back surgery.

He now uses a cane, can barely walk and is 27 years old with 2 little kids.

Sucks.

The back is nothing to mess with knife wise.

Joe's career may be over cause if I was him I would not have back surgery.

Yeah these stories aren't surprising me, I figured they were the type Joe was hearing this offseason when he said no to surgery.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
And even if they work for a while, doesn't it decrease the likeliness of it working if you had to get more, and don't they limit the number of shots you can take? There's still a long way to go this season.

Yep, I had a series of 3 over 3 months. I recall them telling me that they limit you to that amount over 6 months. It sucks when the numbing shots help your pain/mobility more than the actual cortisone shots, because you realize that you're pretty much screwed.

As long as we have Crede, THome and Pods on this team you know some point in the season they will be on the DL. Im not surprised by this. Just put him on the 15 day and bring up Fields. And is keeping Terarro up here really better than having Sweeney up here? I guess Ozzie wants a lot of playing time for Mack and Ozuna. I guess its smart to give Sweeney his ABs down in triple-A but still this kid was fun to watch.

The best thing for him to do is go on the DL and get some real aggressive physical therapy and even try some non-surgical decompression.

I thought Crede's back had degenerative discs, meaning they would continually get worse over time.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ May 20, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)

/not a doctor.

/stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night