MMA Thread

Sherk looked totally out of his league tonight, Penn owned looks like he'll get the winner of Huerta/Florian.

Silva looked dominant. Very dominant.

Machida/Ortiz bored the hell out of me. Nice send off for Ortiz though.

Thiago looked damn good, it'll be interesting to see who they match him up against next.

Penn will have trouble finding any competition in 155 at this point unless UFC signs JZ Calvancante or Aoki.

Awesome to see the old Wand back tonight, as deep as the UFC 205 is, he makes it that much more exciting

I loved the Machida fight. As boring as the first two rounds were, the 3rd round was great. Ortiz will still have a name, but he is not a top ten 205er. He had no chance against Machida tonight. (yes, I saw the potential sub he had, but the triangle wasn't deep enough and arm bar was at a bad angle). Ortiz will pop a huge rating or buy rate for another org though.

Overall a very good PPV, Relij (sp?) looked good too.

Edited by SoxFan562004

So Ortiz decided to go out with a bang after all, he went to the room where they were having the post-event press conference and he was told he wasn't invited.... So he sits anyway and starts to take questions. UFC's press people tell him to leave, Tito's lady tells him to stay, UFC cancels the press conference, only to un-cancel and invite Tito this time.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...70&zoneid=2

article saying Matt Hughes brother will return to MMA, specifically with the UFC soon. The thing that caught my interest is Matt saying he would like to fight in the midwest, and then the note that Missouri and Illinois now regulate MMA (Technically I think IL takes effect 6/1). I imagine either St. Louis or Chicago is where the Hughes/Serra fight will take place. Even if Alves mops the floor with Hughes, there's still money in that fight.

So the EliteXC event tonight started off well, but ended poorly. Whether it be the ending to the title fight, or the suspicious ending to the Kimbo fight...i'd say it's an epic fail for EliteXC. Hopefully they'll take notes from the WEC on Sunday.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 12:23 AM)
kimbo got exposed but we all knew that was coming. but EXC didnt expect Thompson to be the one to expose him.

Thompson's ear looked so gross before and after the fight. Made me cringe everytime they showed it.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:09 AM)
So the EliteXC event tonight started off well, but ended poorly. Whether it be the ending to the title fight, or the suspicious ending to the Kimbo fight...i'd say it's an epic fail for EliteXC. Hopefully they'll take notes from the WEC on Sunday.

As someone who never watches MMA, it left me wondering. Do they always stop the fights like that, or did they do that because it was on CBS?

I don't mean just the Kimbo fight, because I known there are other possible reasons for that. But the middleweight and the women's fight seemed to get a quick stop, too.

And what's the 'hierarchy' of these leagues? Is UFC>EliteXC, vice versa, about equal?

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
As someone who never watches MMA, it left me wondering. Do they always stop the fights like that, or did they do that because it was on CBS?

I don't mean just the Kimbo fight, because I known there are other possible reasons for that. But the middleweight and the women's fight seemed to get a quick stop, too.

And what's the 'hierarchy' of these leagues? Is UFC>EliteXC, vice versa, about equal?

It was obvious because of it being on CBS that they were going to stop these fights before they even had the chance to get ugly.

UFC would be the "king" of MMA, mainly because of having a majority of the best fighters in their organization. To my knowledge EliteXC hasn't been around as long and would be lower on the totem pole.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:54 AM)
Thompson's ear looked so gross before and after the fight. Made me cringe everytime they showed it.

Is it normal for a fighter to come to the ring with something like Thompsons swollen ear, where it would cause an immediate stoppage? I dont know why Kimbo didnt hammer on his ear from the outset and finish him quick.

A couple of things about the fight(admittedly from a novice viewer):

Kimbo Slice:

Kimbo wasnt all that good in his ground game, however he did squirrel out of a couple of pins, and I thought when he did it was pretty impressive. IIRC, he was completely pinned and completely reversed it on Thompson basically by sitting up and pivoting his hips, which I thought was quite the feat of strength. However, Thompson pinned Kimbo against the fence and repeatedly elbowed kimbo on top of his squeaky clean noggin for the last 2 minutes of the second, round, and that was pretty ugly.

James Thompson:

I really couldnt believe he was allowed to step in the ring with his ear swollen like a peach. I was even more surprised that his own team didnt at least try and drain it before the fight or something. When he was introduced to the crowd you could see the target that Kimbo was going to look for.

Robbie Lawler:

He showed flashes of excitement, but he looked really unsure of how to fight Smith the entire fight. The crowd booed the fight multiple times. Everytime he rocked Smith, he just backed off and wouldnt finish the fight, it really seemed like he was afraid of a kick to the head with his approach.

Scott Smith:

His comments after the fight were hilarious "It was a good fight. I think i broke my right foot" But the ending of this fight sucked, and everyone in the ring knew it.

Phil Baroni:

Can anyone say Disco Inferno? All I can say is if you are going to enter the ring like that, you better bring the thunder. Villasenor schooled him.

Joey Villasenor:

never heard of this guy, but I liked watching him fight.

Gina Carano:

Im in love. Seriously, this is the hottest female combatant I have ever seen, and its gonna be a sad day when she meets her equal in the ring, and gets her pretty face all blown up. She looked really out of shape and winded, but when she finally started putting the hammer down, Young's face opened up like the red sea.

Kaitlyn Young:

She also got winded and it cost her the fight. For a quick second I thought she was going to take this fight, then her hands went down and Carano unloaded on her.

Brett Rodgers:

Didnt care for him or his off-center mohawk, even though he won. Although it was funny to see Big Black in the background posing

Jon Murphy:

Didnt look like he was only chasing 3 pounds to Rodgers. In fact, he didnt look even close to the same size. He took quite a shot to the jaw

Theyre attempt to make Kimbo seem unbeatable until they were ready to go for the blockbuster fight took a big hit. I think it seems apparent if he fights one of the top wrestlers he is going to be in trouble unless he lands some early punches. That guys ear wanted to make me throw up. Im exactly sure what they can do about something like that but I would hope they could drain it somehow.

I thought I was seeing things with Rogers' mohawk. glad you saw it too.

Lawler had a few chances to unleash on Smith but held back for some reason. He mustve been worried about Smith's punches too much.

CBS really missed the boat by stopping fights before they got ugly. The people who dont want to see that stuff werent watching last night. Since the blood wasnt really harmful to the fighters, they shouldve let it go.

Baroni hasnt looked good since losing to Frank Shamrock. Maybe its b/c he got busted for roids?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
It was obvious because of it being on CBS that they were going to stop these fights before they even had the chance to get ugly.

UFC would be the "king" of MMA, mainly because of having a majority of the best fighters in their organization. To my knowledge EliteXC hasn't been around as long and would be lower on the totem pole.

Thanks. That was kind of my impression of UFC vs Elite, but I don't really know why I thought that.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)

UFC is the best organization right now. It is lacking in the heavyweight division though, with a lot of big name guys not around (Fedor, Barnett, Couture, Sylvia, etc), but otherwise, it's got the best guys. EliteXC is on a much lower level.

There were a lot of questionable stoppages.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Theyre attempt to make Kimbo seem unbeatable until they were ready to go for the blockbuster fight took a big hit. I think it seems apparent if he fights one of the top wrestlers he is going to be in trouble unless he lands some early punches. That guys ear wanted to make me throw up. Im exactly sure what they can do about something like that but I would hope they could drain it somehow.

Kimbo is EliteXC's moneymaker. They'll keep feeding him cans. Thompson is like a D-level fighter and he won the first two rounds and if not for a series of calls that went against him (standup while in side-control?, no stoppage at end of 2nd, early stoppage in third), he may have won.

Kimbo's ground game is really bad and even his power has to come into question now based on how many punches a Glass Joe was able to take from him.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Kimbo is EliteXC's moneymaker. They'll keep feeding him cans. Thompson is like a D-level fighter and he won the first two rounds and if not for a series of calls that went against him (standup while in side-control?, no stoppage at end of 2nd, early stoppage in third), he may have won.

Kimbo's ground game is really bad and even his power has to come into question now based on how many punches a Glass Joe was able to take from him.

He looked like he wasnt in the best of shape either. The Colossus's ground game wasnt really good and he still managed to get the fight on the mat at will. One thing I noticed about Kimbo when he was on the ground though is that he had the strength to get out of holds. When he fights someone who has a better idea what theyre doing down there it wont work.

As far as stopping the fight in the third, I didnt have a problem with it. That guy had no idea what was going on. He got hit with some shots. Once Kimbo saw that and the blood coming from his ear he started throwing some haymakers and if he would have landed any of them cleanly that guy really could have gotten hurt.

At the end of the second though its like you said, it was questionable but we knew they wouldnt stop it like that for a Kimbo loss.

Thompson nearly did to Kimbo what Mir did to Lesnar, expose him for having no ground game.

Watching the event last night really makes you appreciate the UFC production and miss the PRIDE production. It seems like EliteXC is trying to pull off the PRIDE style in a way and it just comes off as cheap.

Watching last night really makes me miss getting to see Fedor and other awesome well rounded heavyweights.

I'm sure the WEC show will blow this one away.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
Is it normal for a fighter to come to the ring with something like Thompsons swollen ear, where it would cause an immediate stoppage? I dont know why Kimbo didnt hammer on his ear from the outset and finish him quick.

I've personally while watching MMA have never seen a guy with a swollen ear like that period. I still don't understand why him bleeding from it would of caused the stoppage, especially while he was still coherent.

To all of the MMA fans here, do you prefer the way PRIDE went about things in regards to fighter introduction, etc. or do you prefer the way the UFC does it?

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
I've personally while watching MMA have never seen a guy with a swollen ear like that period. I still don't understand why him bleeding from it would of caused the stoppage, especially while he was still coherent.

To all of the MMA fans here, do you prefer the way PRIDE went about things in regards to fighter introduction, etc. or do you prefer the way the UFC does it?

Concious? Yes. Coherent? Debatable.

He took a couple of really good shots at the end there, he looked like he was more than a little bit loopy. He even pushed the refs face away when he was being restrained, he didnt look like he knew where he was for a second

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Concious? Yes. Coherent? Debatable.

He took a couple of really good shots at the end there, he looked like he was more than a little bit loopy. He even pushed the refs face away when he was being restrained, he didnt look like he knew where he was for a second

He was certainly loopy, but considering the quality of punches Kimbo was throwing at the time and the significant leeway Kimbo was given at the end of round 2, Thompson deserved better.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
He was certainly loopy, but considering the quality of punches Kimbo was throwing at the time and the significant leeway Kimbo was given at the end of round 2, Thompson deserved better.

agreed, it was definitely favoring Kimbo