MMA Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
I never cared for Sonnen until this fight. The guy is funny as f***. I would love to see him win but I think it might be best for the UFC that Silva retains.

Meltzer is saying he's heard Silva is pissed and is going to try and kill him, basically exactly what Dana wanted to happen

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Meltzer is saying he's heard Silva is pissed and is going to try and kill him, basically exactly what Dana wanted to happen

At least he won't be doing his stupid dancing around, backing away and wasting peoples money if this is true.

What an upset it would be to see Sonnen actually beat him.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Chael gets caught with 2 minutes left because he got lazy. He had Silva for the whole damn fight and fell asleep

My co-worker wrestled with Chael at Oregon. He was so excited...and now so disappointed.

He basically told me this would happen though.

Sonnen fought his ass off tonight, just wasn't enough. Maybe Anderson's ribs bothered him that much. You've gotta wonder why Chael didn't go into defensive mode in the 5th.

I found myself on my phone more times than not during Fitch/Alves. I don't wanna see Fitch anywhere near a main event. He's not gonna beat GSP, so why even bother. Dana says he's gonna tell Alves that he belongs at 185...after the way he looked tonight, perhaps he's right.

Same ol' Guida.

Nice job by Hughes, still don't care for him though.

Dos Santos looked good.

However, my favorite part of the night happened when leaving the bar that I was watching at...some dude, very upset that Silva won storms out of the bar yelling "HE'S A POSER!" "SILVA'S SUCH A p****!" repeatedly. His girlfriend/sister/whoever it was looking highly embarrassed.

Fitch/Alves was quite the snoozer but MAN Sonnen blew it..

He was destroying Silva the entire fight, it was the biggest let down ever at the bar I was at when he half submitted.. which I still didn't think was that legit anyways but oh well..

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
Fitch/Alves was quite the snoozer but MAN Sonnen blew it..

He was destroying Silva the entire fight, it was the biggest let down ever at the bar I was at when he half submitted.. which I still didn't think was that legit anyways but oh well..

What do you mean? He tapped. He doesn't deny it and nobody in mainstream MMA media disputes this idea, Team Quest, as Meltzer points out, has done that same thing before. Chael clearly tapped.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
I wouldnt say Sonnen got lazy at the end, he just got caught. That is what happens to him.

Lazy might not be the right word, but he definitely used terrible technique when it happened, he postured up and left an arm in, I mean terrible decision by him, you can't do that with a blue or purple belt much less a black belt.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:45 AM)
I wouldnt say Sonnen got lazy at the end, he just got caught. That is what happens to him.

I dont know, he was laying the hammer fists on Silva and sat up, and you could tell they were both tiring, instead of being chest to chest with Silva and grinding out the last two minutes he sat up and got caught in the triangle

Sonnen gets tapped all the time. His sub defense is horrible. There were a few times in the final couple of rounds where he was sitting up on both knees and letting Anderson control one of his wrists. It was just a matter of time before he was going to be in major trouble if he kept posturing up like that.

As for the tap, I think Sonnen went out for a moment which might have led to the weak tap. He still tried to fight a little even when the ref was on him which makes me believe he wasnt totally "there". It did seem like Anderson held the arm a little too long after the ref jumped in which is cheap.

Give Fitch one last shot at GSP and then cut him. He is boring and adds nothing to the UFC.

JDS looked alright but I dont see him beating any of the wrestlers(Lesnar,Carwin,Cain).

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
What do you mean? He tapped. He doesn't deny it and nobody in mainstream MMA media disputes this idea, Team Quest, as Meltzer points out, has done that same thing before. Chael clearly tapped.

If you say so, but I disagree

Speaking of MMA, if anyone saw the video of Roger Huerta beating on a guy who knocked out a woman, it is worth watching. The identity of the guy who suckerpunched the girl has been revealed(supposedly) as former University of Texas linebacker Rashad Bobino

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/ex-longhorn-...tmz-video-28799

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
If you say so, but I disagree

OK, our opinions are obviously different, but when the guy who tapped doesn't dispute it I'm not really sure what you're basing it on.

It's a Gracie/Brazilian/Ghost tap, Gracie's have been known to use it/teach it, especially in grappling matches. There's a web video floating around today with some of the Gracie's explaining it. Basically it's a shot in the dark when you're screwed. Matt Lindland, Chael's main trainer, has attempted it in MMA matches before. When going against it you're suppose to break automatically because it helps speed up the refs decision that the guy tapped, Anderson let it go pretty quickly, although not right away, but he did make a point to talk to the ref immediately, he's obviously familiar with it.

Meltzer said the internet search engines blew up after the event with 117 related searches, even more so than when they have had mega buy rates, will be interesting to see if they give Belfort a shot or automatic rematch.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
OK, our opinions are obviously different, but when the guy who tapped doesn't dispute it I'm not really sure what you're basing it on.

I just think it was weak, they even continued on the ground for a little while afterwards with Sonnen looking like he didn't know why it was stopped..

QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)
I just think it was weak, they even continued on the ground for a little while afterwards with Sonnen looking like he didn't know why it was stopped..

Maybe b/c he went out for a second and didnt remember tapping just seconds ago. Just like when you see a fighter trying to take down the ref after getting KOed.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (T R U @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 09:11 PM)

Here's a good gif showing Sonnen going out for a few seconds.

29bcb39.gif

Guess the Penn era is officially over. I'm puzzled on why he would continue to try to out strike Edgar when it's obvious he cant. BJ was able to get a couple of takedowns so maybe that should be his game plan if there is ever a third fight.

Couture was the best opponent for Toney. Imagine if Toney fought a bigger, more dangerous heavyweight. Couture talking s*** during the fight was pretty lame though.

It's 4am and I'm wide awake. I guess that 15 minute nap I took during the Maynard-Florian fight is to blame. Hopefully Maynard gets his ass kicked by Frankie and then is cut.

Penn just looked flat. Not sure what it is when he gets in there with Edgar. No emotion showed at all.

Florian just isn't elite. Good, but not the elite. With that being said, I'm sure Maynard will wrestle Edgar for 25 minutes and 155 will have another champ that lays & prays.

Last night's PPV was a snooze fest. Outside of Diaz/Davis.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Penn just looked flat. Not sure what it is when he gets in there with Edgar. No emotion showed at all.

Edgar matches up perfectly against Penn. Until BJ realizes he cant win the stand up, he will never beat Edgar. He is a bully in the cage in the sense that once things dont go his way early, he mentally just checks out. If he is serious about being the champ again, he needs to surround himself with some better coaches. He and his corner made zero adjustments last night and looked totally lost.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 08:47 AM)
Couture was the best opponent for Toney. Imagine if Toney fought a bigger, more dangerous heavyweight. Couture talking s*** during the fight was pretty lame though.

Toney never stood a chance.

Zero takedown defense against a wrestler? It's over.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 07:02 PM)
Edgar matches up perfectly against Penn. Until BJ realizes he cant win the stand up, he will never beat Edgar. He is a bully in the cage in the sense that once things dont go his way early, he mentally just checks out. If he is serious about being the champ again, he needs to surround himself with some better coaches. He and his corner made zero adjustments last night and looked totally lost.

He really needs to go to a bigger camp to prepare for fights. He has too many yes men around him.