MMA Thread

sounds like a way to keep lesnar active for 2011. i dont see how lesnar could be a coach when he is still really learning mma himself.. im no nostradamus but lesnar doesnt like the standup game and JDS is a standup fighter, i dont see that fight lasting very long in the end unless lesnar trains with freddie roach from now until the fight

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
sounds like a way to keep lesnar active for 2011. i dont see how lesnar could be a coach when he is still really learning mma himself.. im no nostradamus but lesnar doesnt like the standup game and JDS is a standup fighter, i dont see that fight lasting very long in the end unless lesnar trains with freddie roach from now until the fight

as far as the coaching goes, the "coaches" are usually just figureheads and they bring in their trainers or outside trainers to run the sessions. For example, Kos wasn't running the nitty gritty of his sessions, Camarillo and Cook from AKA were, which is why it was laughable the fighters on the team were complaining about training sessions, they didn't take advantage of it. So he'll use some of the Death Clutch guys or he has an established relationship with Extreme Couture in Vegas I'm sure those guys will assist as well.

It will be interesting to see if Lesnar takes advantage of his time out in Vegas and mixes his training up a little with the crazy amount of camps out in Vegas. I'm sure UFC will give him a ton of leeway in his filming schedule if he asks.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 11:34 PM)
im no nostradamus but lesnar doesnt like the standup game and JDS is a standup fighter, i dont see that fight lasting very long in the end unless lesnar trains with freddie roach from now until the fight

Lesnar is going to try to outstrike JDS unless he's an idiot. He'll go for the takedown.

I don't know much about JDS' early Brazilian opponents, but none of his UFC opponents have been wrestlers. With the exception of Werdum, they've all been guys who like standup.

There's a new article out about it, but similar news has been floating around for a few months, basically FEG who runs K-1 and DREAM are hurting extremely bad financially and the Dynamite New Years ratings didn't help their cause. So it will be interesting to see how this shakes out this year.

UFC is running another "Salute to the Troops" show tomorrow on Spike... Main event is Guillard vs. Dunham (was suppose to be K-Flo vs. Dunham but K got hurt). Should be an entertaining card, they run it on a military base and have active military make up a majority of the audience, so they really attempt to have match-ups that feature explosive stand-up fighters.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 09:57 PM)
UFC is running another "Salute to the Troops" show tomorrow on Spike... Main event is Guillard vs. Dunham (was suppose to be K-Flo vs. Dunham but K got hurt). Should be an entertaining card, they run it on a military base and have active military make up a majority of the audience, so they really attempt to have match-ups that feature explosive stand-up fighters.

I've got work & probably going out drinking afterwards, I'll have to catch a download of this. Might be a fun one.

• 2 weeks later...

Really exciting card tonight. Silva vs. Belfort with a lot of great pre-fight hype between the two. Griffin/Franklin in a fight that has potential to be exciting. Torres vs. Buanelos (i know that's likely horribly misspelled) and Jones/Bader it what is an exciting match-up where the winner jumps into 205 title picture and loser has a longer road. Cerrone on the undercard who normally brings it. Also, Kid Yammamoto's UFC debut on a facebook stream.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
Really exciting card tonight. Silva vs. Belfort with a lot of great pre-fight hype between the two. Griffin/Franklin in a fight that has potential to be exciting. Torres vs. Buanelos (i know that's likely horribly misspelled) and Jones/Bader it what is an exciting match-up where the winner jumps into 205 title picture and loser has a longer road. Cerrone on the undercard who normally brings it. Also, Kid Yammamoto's UFC debut on a facebook stream.

One of the best cards ever on paper

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
One of the best cards ever on paper

if you didn't watch them yet, grab an on-line video of the weigh-ins, really cool atmosphere. With the WEC merger and their tip guys, outside of Cain, being healthy, they some great cards coming up... 129 has Shields/GSP, Aldo/Hominick, Machida/Couture, 130 has Maynard/Edgar III, Rampage/Thiago Silva and Mir vs. Big Country.

127 and 128 look good to, mixed with some good SF cards, great time to be an MMA fan

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
Jones!!!!!!!! Gets his title shot now!

probably the most exciting thing from a letdown of fights last night.

The Torres fight lacked excitement.

The Bones/Bader fight was one sided. I wouldnt say it was a beatdown but Bader never had a chance. And then the submission came out of nowhere because of a bad camera angle.

Forrest/Franklin was pretty uneventful.

Vitor/Silva had a great finish but I felt I was hoping for a great title fight. Belfort looked good and fast at the beginning and I still think he could give Silva a good fight. But just as I was getting pumped, it was all over.

The hype of Shogun-Bones is going to be off the hook. I think Bones will have a good showing, especially early, but I dont think he's there just yet to beat Shogun in a 25 minute fight. I see Shogun turning the fight in his favor from the 3rd round and on in retaining his belt.

The possibility of a Silva-GSP fight is exciting but I just cant see GSP doing anything to Silva. If GSP comes to fight then I think he will get worked. Only way I can see GSP winning is to lay on top of Silva for 25 minutes and win a boring decision.

fights weren't electric, but that's going to happen once in a while with UFC cards because with a handful of exceptions they are the top fighters in the world being matched up, not paper mismatches, so the guys are far more evenly matched. IMO it's why they added the 145 and 135, those tend to produce more exciting fights (although Torres seemed to fall to the Tristar Gym's style)

Just how timing of other things work out, but that cemented to me Anderson is the best fighter in the world as of now, and as far as 2011 goes the only 2 I can see possibly dethroning him are, obviously, if he and GSP fight and GSP wins or if Overreem absolutely tears through the HW GP in SF.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
fights weren't electric, but that's going to happen once in a while with UFC cards because with a handful of exceptions they are the top fighters in the world being matched up, not paper mismatches, so the guys are far more evenly matched. IMO it's why they added the 145 and 135, those tend to produce more exciting fights (although Torres seemed to fall to the Tristar Gym's style)

Just how timing of other things work out, but that cemented to me Anderson is the best fighter in the world as of now, and as far as 2011 goes the only 2 I can see possibly dethroning him are, obviously, if he and GSP fight and GSP wins or if Overreem absolutely tears through the HW GP in SF.

What if Fedor tears through the the GP?

I do think whoever wins the SFGP should be the number 1 ranked heavyweight in the world as long as there are no pull outs due to injuries.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:06 AM)
What if Fedor tears through the the GP?

I do think whoever wins the SFGP should be the number 1 ranked heavyweight in the world as long as there are no pull outs due to injuries.

yeah, forgot to mention him.

it depends on how the GP shakes out, but likely, yes, whoever wins it barring injuries or other complications should be considered #1 HW, however, having the 2nd card of it with AO/Werdum and Barnett take place in Japan in April already has me leery of how this thing is going. I am looking forward to the potential of it, but between injuries and other potential roadblocks, etc, I am in a big wait and see mode with it. At least as fans we are going to get the first 2 very good cards out of it.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 02:14 PM)
MMArising.com had an article the other day saying the plans for Japan have been scrapped.

mixed stories on that, Josh Gross has a tweet a day earlier than that article saying a venue in tokyo was finalized, working on TV... not it's possible Showtime balked at a tape delayed, but I don't think it's been settled quite yet

first GP card firing up in about hour and a half... will be interesting to see how this thing plays out, just glad they're getting their HWs active again, really don't care that they threw brackets around it, but understand they are trying to create buzz. Good luck watching it if you don't have comp or showtime, basically zero bars are showing this thing, me and about 4 friends wanted to head out for it tonight but are stuck watching it at a house.

Jorge Santiago is coming back to UFC, was 1-2 about 4 years ago but went on a 7-1 tear since... probably never a true title contender but he is very good and entertaining.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 13, 2011 -> 07:27 AM)
Fedor and Arlovski, both probably done for good.

Arlovski is done. He cant take a punch.

Fedor is just too small for the new wave of elite heavyweights. He is still top 10 and could still beat some top 10 fighters but he isnt big enough for the guys who cut to get to 265. The division has changed in the last couple of years. We're now seeing guys between 275-290 cut down to 265. In the past, especially when Fedor dominated the heavyweight division, the top guys were all in the 235-250 range and the heavyweights who were at the 265 max were the slow, plodding types like Tim Sylvia. The most powerful guys Fedor fought in the 2000s were guys like Fujita,Randleman and Coleman and those guys topped out at around 230-250 max.

Now I dont know who I'd want to win this tournament. Overeem winning should get him the top ranking and that would be nice to see Dana White pissed about that. But then again, there is no doubt Overeem juiced up during his career so that would suck. Barnett winning would be a nice comeback story, ala Coleman back in 2000, but he is a known cheater too. Maybe SF should have the last two rounds in Japan so Barnett, Overeem and Bigfoot can get back on the sauce haha.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing official yet, but a few sites, including sherdog who's been solid about breaking stories lately, have the other 2 quarter finals of the GP scheduled for April being delayed. No reason on why or when they're going to be rescheduled to. Sounds like SF still wants an event that day, but multiple locations that have been rumored athletic commissions haven't been contacted by SF regarding a show for that date.

Earlier they said they wanted to run Japan, it might have fallen through and can't or don't want to scramble to hastily put together an April show for their showcase event. Best case is they got a better TV deal and need to wait until summer for an open slot.

Also, looks like since Thiago Silva had a positive drug test and their fight will be changed to a "no contest" UFC isn't cutting Brandon Vera

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
Working in the industry for a little while now, Strikeforce has to be one of the worst run organizations in professional sports.

they just put so much into the HW GP, I don't know the details, but I would have to imagine they basically put the future of the company as a significant MMA org into it. I just have a feeling they gave M-1 a lot to promote Fedor and him losing screwed a lot up, add to that the burden of Barnett and they're scrambling a little right now. I do think if they can keep delays to a minimum they still can roll with some of the momentum they have, but they need to get straightened out.