MMA Thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
They put so much into it without much planning at all. You would think with the biggest event the promotion has, they would map out a better game plan, instead of scrambling for venues and if some of their fighters(Barnett) can even fight in certain states. Couple that with just straight awful production values, it's frustrating to see the coverage they get when they put such little effort into the events.

I agree. The production value on the Fedor/Silva show was laughable, not only the horrible camera work and direction, a microphone screeched at least 5 times. I also do not like Mauro because he constantly yells about everything, it gets annoying, and Gus Johnson is just there so casual fans recognize him.

I'm really interested to hear the reason this thing got delayed. If they are moving this thing to accommodate Barnett I'll be annoyed as hell. I don't think he should be in there at all because he offers no upside to SF. He wasn't a U.S. draw and if he wins, while not the favorite he could pull it off, they'll have a 3x caught red handed juicer as their new poster boy, one who the California AC wants nothing to do with and he won't even appear in front of to attempt to get re-licensed there.

Marlon Sandro signed with Bellator and Hioki hasn't asked for his release from SRC yet, but if he does Gross reports he prefers UFC over Bellator. On a side note to that, it looks like MMA in Japan is done for awhile, guys are coming over to U.S. based promotions in droves at this point and all a fighter has to do is ask SRC for their release and reportedly they'll give it to them

Josh Gross is reporting the 2nd leg of GP opening round will be on June 18th show, so four months between opening round matches, meaning a minimum of 6 months for Sergei and Bigfoot between.

No real reason given, looks like Gina Carano is on 6/18 card, but does NOT look like it will be on CBS.

Diego Sanchez is my favorite fighter in MMA period, but man.. he should not have gotten that decision. Rogan pointed out the extra fat Diego is carrying around his midsection nowadays. He looks very slow out there and showed the "Rocky Balboa Defense". I dont know if the move to this heavier weight is the right move for him, but if he insists..... i want the diego sanchez that went buck wild on clay guida. if he fights a jake shields or GSP he will get absolutely destroyed.. i dont know what he is thinking.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 11:37 PM)
Diego Sanchez is my favorite fighter in MMA period, but man.. he should not have gotten that decision. Rogan pointed out the extra fat Diego is carrying around his midsection nowadays. He looks very slow out there and showed the "Rocky Balboa Defense". I dont know if the move to this heavier weight is the right move for him, but if he insists..... i want the diego sanchez that went buck wild on clay guida. if he fights a jake shields or GSP he will get absolutely destroyed.. i dont know what he is thinking.

his faced was obviously insanely jacked up, but I disagree, 29-28 was correct score for Diego IMO. Really entertaining card, worth checking out the replay if somebody missed it.

Also, not an early stoppage in the CB/Munoz fight, he was out, the look on his face when the ref was over him proved it to me, he just recovered quickly.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 03:47 AM)
I know this is almost a week late, but man Fitch got jobbed in the Penn fight.. how could that possibly have been a draw

if BJ put up some sort of fight, even for 30seconds to a minute in the 3rd he loses it.

It's the unified scoring rules, it's not outrageous BJ got the 2nd round, had his back going for a finish, sometimes things like that stick in judges minds more than the reversals off of that.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:39 AM)
his faced was obviously insanely jacked up, but I disagree, 29-28 was correct score for Diego IMO. Really entertaining card, worth checking out the replay if somebody missed it.

Also, not an early stoppage in the CB/Munoz fight, he was out, the look on his face when the ref was over him proved it to me, he just recovered quickly.

Agreed w/ all above. I wouldn't have been upset if Kampmann won either. But I did score it for Diego.

QUOTE (T R U @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 03:47 AM)
I know this is almost a week late, but man Fitch got jobbed in the Penn fight.. how could that possibly have been a draw

I wouldn't say jobbed. 1st round to BJ. I had the 2nd round being dead even, I can't call that one either way. Then I gave the 3rd to Fitch.

If this was PRIDE, then Fitch would of more than likely been the winner. But the unified rules are what they are.

I actually had Penn winning 29-28. First two rounds to BJ and Fitch in the third. I cant give a guy a 10-8 if he never advances past the guard or if he never comes close to stopping his opponent.

I can see how someone would give Fitch a 10-8 so I dont see a problem with it being a draw.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
rumor has it Fedors dropping to LHW and is fighting Hendo for the title...AWESOME

can you throw a link up please... only thing I heard of this was bloodyelbow.com and that was just a column suggesting it. (EDIT: OK, some of the sites have it up as being discussed by SF and both camps).

I wouldn't mind the fight, but not for the title. ACs have said they would sanction 5 round non-title fights if that's an issue... do it at a catch weight. You can't have a guy coming off 2 loses fight for a title at his first time at the weight class, even if that guy is, IMO, the greatest fighter of all time. Makes complete sense from a business standpoint though, Hendo failed to draw great ratings on Showtime again this weekend and Fedor proves to be a solid draw for SF, SF needs to get some mileage out of Hendo's deal.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
my DVR will be working overtime 2nite... going out for a friends b-day, so have to DVR Bellator, SF and Ricky Hatton's brother is fighting on HBO!

Canelo !! Ricky Hatton is like 250 pounds lol

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)

lol, yeah he looked absolutely terrible!!!! I mean I know about the Ricky Fatton thing even when he was fighting, but it looks like the bottle and drugs took a toll on him since he retired.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Mar 8, 2011 -> 07:08 PM)

If he keeps his current style Canelo is going to put on some crazy entertaining fights, might not be the best for longterm career, but damn, that guy just stands there and he has some heavy hands.

Word has it that the contracts from SF are so detailed that they will be run as separate promotions for a while. So, don't expect crossover, which will be somewhat odd because Zuffa has long stated they don't want championships to become like boxing. I expect Zuffa to let SF contracts lapse and then "UFC" deals will be signed. IE, Hendo has one fight left on his SF deal, they'll probably give him a can and then reup him with UFC.

basically UFC can renegotiate any SF deal they want, all they have to do is add one UFC fight and it's ample consideration for the fighter to convert their deal to UFC. Although, I'm sure Zuffa will run SF for awhile because they want nothing to do with Daley, Barnett and Fedor's M-1 deal

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
basically UFC can renegotiate any SF deal they want, all they have to do is add one UFC fight and it's ample consideration for the fighter to convert their deal to UFC. Although, I'm sure Zuffa will run SF for awhile because they want nothing to do with Daley, Barnett and Fedor's M-1 deal

I think Showtime has a 2 year contract with Strikeforce, so for at least 2 years they will run pretty much as independent companies and than merge after.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 12, 2011 -> 08:03 PM)
I think Showtime has a 2 year contract with Strikeforce, so for at least 2 years they will run pretty much as independent companies and than merge after.

true, but it depends what those terms are, ie if showtime has picks of the guys under the deal. UFC/Zuffa can always burn through those deals with fights and leave SF as a "developmental league" and burn through Barnett, Daley's and Fedor's M-1 deal. A lot to be settled, will be interesting