MMA Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 12:26 PM)
McGregors biggest fault is his biggest strength. He is not afraid to take a hit and get close. The problem is, those hits add up, and eventually a KO finds its way in there.

The style also leaves him open to take-downs. In the Mendes fight he actually did OK when Mendes was going for take downs from a distance, but when he's in close he has no base to defend takedowns.

Worth mentioning, Fedor is going to fight again, looks like he's negotiating with Bellator and UFC.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Never saw that, very interesting. UFC is going to pull a Kenny Williams and get their guy way too late. I would imagine he's just using Bellator as a negotiation tactic. I wonder if Dana/Silva throw him right in with a good fight or give him a can or two to build up his image again.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Link below is an article discussing his coming return. Fedor's people are saying the right things, ie Reebok deal won't effect him going to UFC, they don't have to co-promote UFC events (meaning M-1, this was reportedly why he was never in UFC prior).....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/8/5/910032...werdum-mma-news

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 6, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Never saw that, very interesting. UFC is going to pull a Kenny Williams and get their guy way too late. I would imagine he's just using Bellator as a negotiation tactic. I wonder if Dana/Silva throw him right in with a good fight or give him a can or two to build up his image again.

IIRC it was merchandising, he wanted to co-promote and UFC wouldnt allow it. I saw Fedor at the sears center about 8 years ago, the crowd was insane. The guy just draws, his countrymen love him

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
Too me she looked out of shape and tired quickly. She also seemed more to be fighting more towards Holm's style and not her own. Overall, Holm just destroyed her.

She got destroyed, but she looked out of shape because she ate a few big punches and had two failed grapples which take a lot out of you. Rousey has said she doesn't need to get in shape because she's constantly training year round, so conditioning is not an issue.

She got wayy too cocky (not even touching gloves before the fight), and tried to come out-boxing Holm. She very quickly got a taste of Holly's punching power, so she tried to go to her main strategy right away and get Holm on the ground and in the armbar. She got Holly down once which Holly was able to escape rather easily and Holly got her down. Rousey only go two good shots in and when she was trying to box, she showed horrible technique - kept her head in a straight line, no movement, kept the hands down and chin up.

And Ronda's mom was definitely right about her trainer - he's horrific. After the first round, he told Ronda she was doing great and told her Holly is only trying to get her with the left. He should've told her, stop eating punches, move your head, and get in, tag her, get out. If you daze her, then get her to the ground for the armbar. Also looked like he tried to give her a kiss when she was on the ground and he was holding her.

She needs new trainers, she should stop boxing and she needed this for her ego.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
She got destroyed, but she looked out of shape because she ate a few big punches and had two failed grapples which take a lot out of you. Rousey has said she doesn't need to get in shape because she's constantly training year round, so conditioning is not an issue.

She got wayy too cocky (not even touching gloves before the fight), and tried to come out-boxing Holm. She very quickly got a taste of Holly's punching power, so she tried to go to her main strategy right away and get Holm on the ground and in the armbar. She got Holly down once which Holly was able to escape rather easily and Holly got her down. Rousey only go two good shots in and when she was trying to box, she showed horrible technique - kept her head in a straight line, no movement, kept the hands down and chin up.

And Ronda's mom was definitely right about her trainer - he's horrific. After the first round, he told Ronda she was doing great and told her Holly is only trying to get her with the left. He should've told her, stop eating punches, move your head, and get in, tag her, get out. If you daze her, then get her to the ground for the armbar. Also looked like he tried to give her a kiss when she was on the ground and he was holding her.

She needs new trainers, she should stop boxing and she needed this for her ego.

Those two takedown attempts didn't take much out of her. Usually it's the clinching against the cage or if you actually go down to the ground together. She was just beat up. Her body language before round 2 was horrible.

She got cocky because she bought in to her "invincibility" that UFC was pushing like a drug. She got what she deserved with her terrible sportsmanship she showed. Couldn't even give an interview after the fight.

It was hilarious watching Dana trying to talk about the fight afterward. He couldn't be his usual "blatantly honest" self after that one. Ronda thinking that she could stand up against an established boxing champion was a horrible idea. Again buying in to her own hype. Those two takedown attempts were terrible. Holly saw them coming a mile away. Ronda was doing nothing to fake the takedowns to try to be unpredictable.

Dana will really be s***ting his pants if McGregor gets whooped.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

Rousey has feasted off of stiffs and finally came up against a good fighter and was completely outclassed. It was pretty embarrassing. Not as embarrassing as Joe Rogan and Dana White going crazy over Rousey over the past year. Rogan calling her something like a once in the history of ever fighter is downright pathetic. Just look at the technique of the most dominant fighter the world has ever seen:

NvZftQ8.gif

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

so in the last year we've seen a few of Dana White's money machines blow up in his face. Cain, Ronda, Jon Jones and hopefully McGregor next month. He really needs a big star and he really doesnt have it anymore (Lesnar or GSP).

meanwhile Bellator is joining with Pride 2.0 and atleast making entertaining matches.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Sounds like you hate any UFC fighter that's popular. Rousey whiffs on one punch and her form is awful. She got dominated like she has dominated. Plain and simple.

Go watch her stand up and you can see how awful her boxing is. It wasnt just one punch. There is video of her throwing a jab where she lifts her leg like she's about to deliver a pitch. Every boxing coach in the fight game is saying how awful her stand up is.

Can you imagine what Cyborg would do to Rousey? That'd be a savage beating again. Rousey couldnt get a takedown because Holm wasnt stupid to come rushing in on her, which is exactly what her judo skills looks for.

And I like plenty of UFC fighters but I'm not going to fall victim to the Dana White hype machine. He is a POS and watching his golden fighters fall is entertaining.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
Sounds like you hate any UFC fighter that's popular. Rousey whiffs on one punch and her form is awful. She got dominated like she has dominated. Plain and simple.

To be fair, the UFC really pushes the faces of their sport way too much making it annoying for fans. From a marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense especially since the UFC is really trying to find fighters the transcend the UFC, but they overdo it because they have lost a lot of stars recently. Just watch Joe Rogan post fight interviews. There's a lot of people that don't like Ronda. McGregor too, but he's a different story.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Go watch her stand up and you can see how awful her boxing is. It wasnt just one punch. There is video of her throwing a jab where she lifts her leg like she's about to deliver a pitch. Every boxing coach in the fight game is saying how awful her stand up is.

Can you imagine what Cyborg would do to Rousey? That'd be a savage beating again. Rousey couldnt get a takedown because Holm wasnt stupid to come rushing in on her, which is exactly what her judo skills looks for.

And I like plenty of UFC fighters but I'm not going to fall victim to the Dana White hype machine. He is a POS and watching his golden fighters fall is entertaining.

All you have to do is post a couple of gifs.

LiveSeveralIncatern.gif

And just so you guys don't say it's one screenshot

giphy.gif

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 11:39 PM)
To be fair, the UFC really pushes the faces of their sport way too much making it annoying for fans. From a marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense especially since the UFC is really trying to find fighters the transcend the UFC, but they overdo it because they have lost a lot of stars recently. Just watch Joe Rogan post fight interviews. There's a lot of people that don't like Ronda. McGregor too, but he's a different story.

Rogan also said Rousey could beat 50% of the UFC roster of male 135'ers. That is just flat out stupid.

funny video of someone using Rogan's comments of him ripping other fighters over a video of Rousey doing the same exact stuff. Look at the technique at 1:15. lol

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 26, 2015 -> 03:11 AM)
Zenryan you are the guy in this thread. You should keep this thread active so I can get your opinion on the Saturday nights I can't watch (most of them).

Honestly, I hate when people rip on the UFC. I have to work or drink almost every Saturday night and the fact that they fight on Saturday's is the only reason I am not a "huge" fan.

Good news for you is that UFC starts at 5 am this saturday!