MMA Thread

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 07:19 PM)
Eh I said it was trolling earlier but it's definitely legit now. Legit to an extent. I'm sure he'll fight again but he's done for the time being. He can go to WWE and make more or do something else.

Seems to be a popular opinion. How are the UFC contracts laid out? I highly doubt he could just "retire" and go right to the E. Certainly intriguing though.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
Seems to be a popular opinion. How are the UFC contracts laid out? I highly doubt he could just "retire" and go right to the E. Certainly intriguing though.

They're per fight so you can walk and away and just not fight again, but prevents you from going to another MMA org. No idea how that works with WWE. With WWE in Europe for the last week and his recent twitter follows I do think we are about to find out what happens.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 07:51 PM)
This is basically on the UFC. They created this monster and now he's become too powerful and they don't know how to control him. He's Frankenstein.

They definitely did give him everything and are at fault, but he's also the one that's locked in to a contract with the UFC in terms of MMA. So if he wants to fight again, the UFC has the upper hand.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 19, 2016 -> 08:18 PM)
Sort of. Even after the loss, he's the biggest star they have with that status of Ronda sort of up in the air. The UFC is hurting for house hold names right now and need McGregor to be fighting as much as possible. Conor knows this.

I'm sure his price goes up after every fight and the UFC doesn't want to go that much higher and is using the loss against him in negotiations. On top of it, the UFC is most likely finalizing the contract for the GSP return, which is going to cost them A LOT. And Conor is most likely using that in negotiations as well.

A lot of layers here. Clearly as we all know, this isn't about him not making a press conference. This is way, way deeper.

Oh yeah, it's not a press conference thing. Conor loves those.

I still think the UFC has the upper hand. They do need Conor, but he can't fight anywhere, but the UFC. He's not even 30. He's going to have to bring his demands down at least enough to where the UFC is willing to go.

damn lots of conar hate haha. But warranted with all the talking he does.

Did anyone see his statement he sent out? Clearly a puff item, but a lot of what he says was/is true...The man lost and wants to focus on his lost because how can he talk and not back it up? so many others on this would continue to talk lost after lost. He does more promotion work for UFC than anyone right now and about the same as Ronda did when she was the champ. Being THE guy in the UFC you have to do the most, but he made it clear he want's to focus on training, because at the end of the day he makes more money for UFC by winning fights than going on non mma/sport talk shows and losing.

• 2 weeks later...

FLOYD MAYWEATHER and Conor McGregor are on the verge of agreeing the richest fight in boxing history.

The Sun can reveal that undefeated Mayweather, considered one of the greatest boxers of all time, is set to go toe-to-toe with the UFC star in Las Vegas this summer.

Every MMA writer is laughing at that story by The Sun.

Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones had a better chance of happening.

Smart fight for both fighters to try and make happen. Mayweather can roll out of bed and collect tens of millions of dollars for a 3 round fight and Conor gets to take a beating for 9 minutes for a millions of dollars.

Not happening

• 4 weeks later...

DC vs Bones and Lesnar fighting at 200? Looks like I'll be ordering a PPV for the first time in a few years

Nevermind on paying for 200. Appears that Dana White sent his gestapo out to get Ariel Helwani before the main event. Kicked him out, took his credentials and banned him for life bc he broke the Lesnar news earlier this evening. It's a joke if ESPN or other big media outlets don't ask questions.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:37 AM)
They're just using Brock for buys...and it'll work. I may order as well. Chances they give him a good opponent or just an easy fight? If he loses, his wwe image takes a hit.

He is fighting Mark Hunt. Not an easy opponent, his record is deceiving as he was very one dimensional in his early days, and he's 7-4-1 in the UFC in this run, and two of those loses, his most recent ones, were against Werdum and Miocic, the current champ and the guy he beat for the belt.

I think this surprises me most because Hunt has some of, if not the most, vicious power in his hands in the whole HW division. This guy is a flat-out one punch KO artist and he shattered Struve's jaw with one punch. Big risk by Vince and Brock here, a competitive loss might not have hurt his image, but a highlight reel KO could, and Hunt has numerous ones to his name.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 6, 2016 -> 09:29 PM)
Kimbo Slice hospitalized and is reportedly in bad shape, fighting for his life.

Seeing reports he passed away only 42 wow.

Edited by Soxfest

• 2 weeks later...