MMA Thread

Almost there now, who ya got?

Aldo Vs. McGregor: Winner McGregor - McGregor has gotten in to Aldo's head. He's made this a very emotional fight for Aldo which I think will effect Aldo negatively. Personally I hope not. How Vegas has Aldo as the underdog though?? That's crazy in my opinion.

Weidman Vs. Rockhold: Winner Rockhold - Rockhold is solid in all facets. What he's done to some of his last opponents like Machida is pretty incredible. I am rooting for Weidman though.

Edgar Vs. Mendes: Winner Edgar - Mendes might be the better wrestler, but I think Edgar's pressure will disrupt Mendes.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 08:31 AM)
The UFC hype train has made McGregor the betting favorite. Hopefully Aldo doesn't have much ring rust bc he should be able to win.

I think Weidman in what will be a great fight.

It isn't just hype from the media. They surveyed 30+ UFC fighters on the match and 70% or so picked McGregor, which caught me by surprise. Personally I am rooting for Aldo. It almost seems like people forgot how good Aldo was before Conor came along. He's been dominant for years and Conor had a tough time even with Chad Mendes. Aldo is king in that division until I actually see him get beat.

I think that has been overstated in the media. This isn't like Dominic Cruz tearing his ACLs twice in 3 years and spending half of the time rehabbing. Aldo injury wasn't a serious one, he was only out for month before he resumed training. I don't think it will have much of an impact on him if any.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
You just don't go on a 10 year winning streak going in with a game plan like that. Pre fight jitters might have gotten the better of him. He needs to come back with a different game plan and respect Conor's power a little bit more.

I'm not sure we saw Aldo's game plan.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 05:56 AM)
UFC is such a crap shoot. It takes one punch or kick to derail anyone.

You say it as if fights ending in the first 13 second in the UFC are the norm. That's why MMA is exciting. You saw one fight ending quickly on a punch and another going the distance with a couple of Jiu Jitsu experts. You never know what to expect.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 02:22 PM)
You say it as if fights ending in the first 13 second in the UFC are the norm. That's why MMA is exciting. You saw one fight ending quickly on a punch and another going the distance with a couple of Jiu Jitsu experts. You never know what to expect.

I'm not denying I'm a very casual UFC fan but it seems time and time again, the major fights are short while the undercard guys who I'm not familiar with go longer.

Why pay to order on PPV when I can get a Twitter video of the fight?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
I'm not sure we saw Aldo's game plan.

Facing a guy who finished 17 of his 19 wins by knockout, you don't swing wildly for the fences within the first 10 seconds at him. That should have been his game plan. Take him to the ground and work the ground game instead.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm not denying I'm a very casual UFC fan but it seems time and time again, the major fights are short while the undercard guys who I'm not familiar with go longer.

There are plenty of title bouts that go the distance too (you're lucky you didn't have to endure those GSP fights back in the days). But the mentality of an MMA fan is you have to expect the unexpected, the fight could finish at any given time with just one punch, to me what makes some of these fights special.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
Saw a vine of Aldos corner coach reacting to the KO, lol. He was pretty upset, it is safe to say

You have a link?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
I was shocked but I'll still take Frankie over McGregor in the summer.

Aldo deserves a rematch, there's precedent for a matchup but there won't be a rematch.

Didn't Frankie lose to Aldo?

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 03:26 PM)

Maybe I'm forgetting some, but what main events have ended in the first round aside from Saturday's and Ronda's recent fights?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 13, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
Saw a vine of Aldos corner coach reacting to the KO, lol. He was pretty upset, it is safe to say

that vine isnt the only one out there that caught some pissed off people. there is a vine showing Frank Fertitta very pissed. He picked up the belt and was close to slamming it back on the ringside table out of disgust.

• 3 weeks later...