Turning point of the season

sox-r-us

So what do folks think was the turning point of this season? While we never got it going offensively, we played really well (starting pitching + bullpen) for the 1st 40 games or so.....so what was the turning point to lead to this disaster where I just know every day that we will lose or win ugly....most of the time lose.

Many of you might hate me for saying this but I have to say the Cubs series.....we should have at least won 2 of 3 and most likely swept them at their house.....and we just gave games away.....and it's been horrible ever since then. :crying

Thoughts?

I appreciate the idea of a turning point--like the Tori Hunter game in 2004--but really, turned on what?

When have we ever got it going this season? I'll do you one better: I'd say the "turning point" for this season was the ASB LAST season. Because since the ASB in 2006, we have never seemed like the 2005 team in the least. Even Ozzie admitted as much a few weeks back when he said he feels like he's watching the same crappy team since July of 2006.

I would also say Contreras getting shelled in the opener set a bad tone for 2007.

BUT, I will not wave the white flag until this year's ASB, so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I cannot believe we're going to suck like this all year. Because if we do, this will be the worst Sox team I have seen since... I can't even remember? A decade?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
David Aardsma allowing a two out, two run homer to prevent us from sweeping at Detroit.

Bingo. Up until that game, Aardsma had been absolutely amazing. We were about to really get some momentum moving in our favor and then Aardsma lost all his mojo and hasn't been anywhere near the same guy since.

I would say the Podsednik and Thome injuries. The offense took a hit without Podsednik, then dropped off the face of the planet without Thome and has never recovered.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Bingo. Up until that game, Aardsma had been absolutely amazing. We were about to really get some momentum moving in our favor and then Aardsma lost all his mojo and hasn't been anywhere near the same guy since.
But we won the next 2 and 3 out of 4 directly after that game?

the loss to the twins where we came back to take the lead against santana on memorial day. when we took the lead i really felt it had the potential to catapult this team into better things, because generally when we are trailing against santana, we lose. to end up losing that game in the fashion that it ended was demoralizing and set the tone for what we've seen since.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
some time in the second half of last year. That's when this offense turned into the slow, lethargic, one-dimensional style of offense that it is.

The boston series at the Cell right before the ASB is when this team decided to die. We were up what 6 or 9 in the wild card going into that series.

The Yankee series right after the break picked up with us up in the wild card by a bunch, and the Yankees just ripped into us and we lost our wild card lead within the next week or so.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
the loss to the twins where we came back to take the lead against santana on memorial day. when we took the lead i really felt it had the potential to catapult this team into better things, because generally when we are trailing against santana, we lose. to end up losing that game in the fashion that it ended was demoralizing and set the tone for what we've seen since.

I think that was a big point in the start of the real downslide.

Anyone else think that if the Sox win on Opening Day, this is a totally different season? I mean, the worst possible start to the season is giving up a lead off homerun. It kinda set the tone for a s***ty season.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
Anyone else think that if the Sox win on Opening Day, this is a totally different season? I mean, the worst possible start to the season is giving up a lead off homerun. It kinda set the tone for a s***ty season.

Absolutely not.

Am I the only one who thinks this team has been garbage ever since Jerry made everyone cut their hair? It seemed that when we had the long hair we were good, once it was gone all the magic left with it..

Just a thought..

I lost my beloved appendix on July 1st of last year. That was the day of the AJ walkoff homer....it was basically the day after that when our struggles started, especially on the mound. So....unless someone can find a way to get my appendix back, I'm out of answers.

The team stunk in spring training and didn't do much of anything once the games

started to count.

No turning point. We were .500 for a while then the bullpen completely rotted and

we started to lose or win ugly every single night.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
I lost my beloved appendix on July 1st of last year. That was the day of the AJ walkoff homer....it was basically the day after that when our struggles started, especially on the mound. So....unless someone can find a way to get my appendix back, I'm out of answers.

You can have mine, if its possible to do a appendix donation

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
Am I the only one who thinks this team has been garbage ever since Jerry made everyone cut their hair? It seemed that when we had the long hair we were good, once it was gone all the magic left with it..

Just a thought..

No, you aren't. My brother thinks that.

This is an easy one, the Friday game against the Cubs. Up until then, we were able to hang around a few games above .500 because despite our poor hitting, our entire pitching staff was doing a great job, and our pen was about as good as any in baseball. That day, the pen completely collapsed, and it's been a tailspin for them and our team ever since. The only difference between the team now and the team when we were 4 or 5 over is the bullpen went from about the best to about the worst, everything else has been status quo, and the bullpen collapse started in that Cubs series, more specifically the Friday game.