Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
The Sox continue to dig themselves in a terrible, terrible hole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2929267

This is the lowest I've ever thought of the Sox organization. They claim to reward there own but if they were never interested in coming to terms with Mark than why even bother negotiating with him. Why not just tell him he's not in the clubs plans. Doesn't Mark deserve at least that as opposed to him and his life getting completely dicked around for the past two weeks as the Sox put together meaningless negotiations.

Sure this deal could turn out fine for the Sox but the way they handled this situation embarrasses me as a fan. This ranks right there with the complete embarrassment that was the White Flag trade (and while that deal worked out talent wise, it is still one of the most embarrassing moments in this teams franchise and to a point baseball history).

So Kenny, as one of your biggest supporters I just want to say f*** you for continuing to be classless with the way you handle the organizations own. Please prove me wrong, but I'm sure you won't.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
I don't get your point......Konerko had a really good year last year and is now on his way to have a really good year again this year. Buehrle is 28 and has a 3 even ERA at the all star break. Our problem isn't paying really good players a lot, our problem is we have a ton of payroll spent on useless crap. To say Konerko has been a bum this year.....wow.

So would I, but we won't.

And if the org wanted to move Konerko they could and they would get an absolute ransom for him. Overpaid, bad contract...maybe a couple years ago when he's in his last year you could make that case but not right now.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
This is the lowest I've ever thought of the Sox organization. They claim to reward there own but if they were never interested in coming to terms with Mark than why even bother negotiating with him. Why not just tell him he's not in the clubs plans. Doesn't Mark deserve at least that as opposed to him and his life getting completely dicked around for the past two weeks as the Sox put together meaningless negotiations.

Sure this deal could turn out fine for the Sox but the way they handled this situation embarrasses me as a fan. This ranks right there with the complete embarrassment that was the White Flag trade (and while that deal worked out talent wise, it is still one of the most embarrassing moments in this teams franchise and to a point baseball history).

So Kenny, as one of your biggest supporters I just want to say f*** you for continuing to be classless with the way you handle the organizations own. Please prove me wrong, but I'm sure you won't.

And if the org wanted to move Konerko they could and they would get an absolute ransom for him. Overpaid, bad contract...maybe a couple years ago when he's in his last year you could make that case but not right now.

That about sums it up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
Even though I'm mad now, I'll be ok with everything if we get good value in return.

There is no package that a team is willing to part with that will bring the same value back as Mark.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Even though I'm mad now, I'll be ok with everything if we get good value in return.

fathom, you have no idea what good value is because most of the players you get back you have never seen play. You will go by what others say and it will take some time to evaluate. My point is, this team is going nowhere with the players we have therefore somethign needs to change. You cannot get good return for crap players but you can get good return for your best players. The best players on a crap team. SELL why you can. Crede is now damaged goods,the whiteos suspected he would get hurt and they took the chance. They got burned.He cannot be moved until he can prove again that he can play, but this is the year to have moved him if he could play. We are losing, Individual stats mean nothing UNLESS you use them to trade people.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)

The they should trade Konerko too. If you think they could get a kings ransom, then trade him. Because right now he is 15 million of our payroll on a close to last place team. Trade him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)

Look at the rumors and I think you can see what KW wants: a young leadoff hitter to satisfy Guillen's desire for speed at the top. They obviously asked for Ellsbury and Theo responded by suggesting a package including Julio Lugo (who formerly had leadoff skills). I just have a feeling they'll end up with a AAA version of Pods...it's not a good feeling.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:54 AM)
fathom, you have no idea what good value is because most of the players you get back you have never seen play. You will go by what others say and it will take some time to evaluate. My point is, this team is going nowhere with the players we have therefore somethign needs to change. You cannot get good return for crap players but you can get good return for your best players. The best players on a crap team. SELL why you can. Crede is now damaged goods,the whiteos suspected he would get hurt and they took the chance. They got burned.He cannot be moved until he can prove again that he can play, but this is the year to have moved him if he could play. We are losing, Individual stats mean nothing UNLESS you use them to trade people.

I disagree with your opinion on never seeing these guys. My most trusted "source" sees hundreds of minor league games each year, and he's able to give me good reports on these guys. I probably have a better idea of what type of players these minor leaguers are than 99 pct of the people on here. Oh well....hopefully we'll get some guys that are in the majors now.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:58 AM)
Look at the rumors and I think you can see what KW wants: a young leadoff hitter to satisfy Guillen's desire for speed at the top. They obviously asked for Ellsbury and Theo responded by suggesting a package including Julio Lugo (who formerly had leadoff skills). I just have a feeling they'll end up with a AAA version of Pods...it's not a good feeling.

We better not get Lugo. If we trade Buehrle, it better free up money instead of giving us another bad contract.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
Because right now he is 15 million of our payroll on a close to last place team. Trade him.

And that's $15M at a position that shouldn't be hard to fill with an .800 OPS player for much less (at least for a competent organization). That's what, a loss of .060 OPS points to save $13M? I'd be OK with that if I trusted the organization to find that .800 OPS player and do something smart with the saved money.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
I disagree with your opinion on never seeing these guys. My most trusted "source" sees hundreds of minor league games each year, and he's able to give me good reports on these guys. I probably have a better idea of what type of players these minor leaguers are than 99 pct of the people on here. Oh well....hopefully we'll get some guys that are in the majors now.

Well good, then your in the know and you can tell us if we get good return. I know where your heart is and its in the right place, but we need to change this team. Whther its beurhle , garland, konerko, AJ anyone. Doesn't really matter. We have no minor leaguer despite the great evaluations the geniuses on this site claim, so we need to trade for some young talented players.

I can't believe this franchise is going down the s***ter so quickly. I bet attendence drops DRASTICALLY from the day Buehrle is traded. f***, I don't know if I'm gonna go to any more games. He's my favorite. It's like Michael Vick, you pay him to fill the seats, no matter how much he wants.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
I can't believe this franchise is going down the s***ter so quickly. I bet attendence drops DRASTICALLY from the day Buehrle is traded. f***, I don't know if I'm gonna go to any more games. He's my favorite. It's like Michael Vick, you pay him to fill the seats, no matter how much he wants.
With all the dog fighting stuff, he may be a bad example.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)

Micheal Vick? he has won nothing and his coach doesn't even want him. Plus he is in trouble with the law. I wouldn't pay that guy a dime.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
I wouldn't blame Williams, I am sure Reinsdorf gets the final call.

I'd normally agree with this, but they agreed on the years and money. The NTC thing sounds surely like something KW is being insistent on.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
I have no clue how JR and KW think they can get the talent level back up again to be playoff caliber.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
Fathom this is the same owner and GM that brought you the world series. The same principals applied then as they do now. The very best way to speak to the owner is not to go to the park. They are counting on you to go. Don't go and don't watch, otherwise the whitesox are run the exact same way as they were two years ago. In fact I am sure KW and JR are kicking themselves at signing konerko. Right now he is worthless. They won't make that mistake again.

Good reply. I am not sure what people expect from the Sox, but I can think of one time in the history of Jerry Reinsdorf owning Chicago teams that he gave one player a s***load of money out of no where. Then again, that guy made he and his partners more money than they probably ever dreamed of. Hell, even if you look at the 2005 team, they made that team by making smart/cheap moves to maximize payroll. Jermaine Dye was brought in after injuries dirt cheap, no one wanted AJ, Tadahito started out looking for 3 years at 8 million per, and got 2 years at 2 million each. We got Uribe for Miles, Crede had about worn out his welcome. The entire Soxnation wanted Jon Garland shipped to Siberia. Bobby Jenks was claimed off of waivers, and Dustin Hermanson was laughed at when we signed him.

My point is, no JR owned team goes around throwing money at problems. They know they can give MB just a tiny bit more at any time to get him back for four years, but they are going to make sure to maximize their gains on him. Why is everyone acting like this is a big surprise. Study your history, and this has been happening for almost 30 years. If you also look back, JR has also been the most successful owner the Bulls have ever seen, and the most successful owner the Sox have had in about 90 years.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
I wouldn't blame Williams, I am sure Reinsdorf gets the final call.

Duh. Any hate for Kenny Williams and John Paxson over contracts is misplaced. Blame ownership before you blame GMs.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
for me being lazy and not wanting to read 10 pages pf discussion... could someone get me up to speed on the situation?
Basically Buerhle's side removed the full NTC demand but added an 5th year option ($17) that would kick in if he was traded, and the Sox refused.

- quickman thinks we need to trade everyone; and that Konerko was a horrible resigning.

- most would be satisfied with a comparable package for Buehrle, but most believe that it will not happen

- everyone is upset with how the organization is handling the situation

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:10 AM)
Basically Buerhle's side removed the full NTC demand but added an 5th year option ($17) that would kick in if he was traded, and the Sox refused.

Yep, and that would be a no lose situation for the Sox....which shows you how they really felt about this.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Good reply. I am not sure what people expect from the Sox, but I can think of one time in the history of Jerry Reinsdorf owning Chicago teams that he gave one player a s***load of money out of no where. Then again, that guy made he and his partners more money than they probably ever dreamed of. Hell, even if you look at the 2005 team, they made that team by making smart/cheap moves to maximize payroll. Jermaine Dye was brought in after injuries dirt cheap, no one wanted AJ, Tadahito started out looking for 3 years at 8 million per, and got 2 years at 2 million each. We got Uribe for Miles, Crede had about worn out his welcome. The entire Soxnation wanted Jon Garland shipped to Siberia. Bobby Jenks was claimed off of waivers, and Dustin Hermanson was laughed at when we signed him.

My point is, no JR owned team goes around throwing money at problems. They know they can give MB just a tiny bit more at any time to get him back for four years, but they are going to make sure to maximize their gains on him. Why is everyone acting like this is a big surprise. Study your history, and this has been happening for almost 30 years. If you also look back, JR has also been the most successful owner the Bulls have ever seen, and the most successful owner the Sox have had in about 90 years.

Duh. Any hate for Kenny Williams and John Paxson over contracts is misplaced. Blame ownership before you blame GMs.

YES and YES, Damn why didn't you come out earlier, much better response than mine. This is business as usual. Call it what you want, but JR has given into fandom only a few times. Usually they centered around championship seasons or near championship seasons. We suck this year and its time to rebuild. They really don't want to spend money, they want young cheap talent, just like they always wanted.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)

wow, that is ridiculous... it really looks like my feeling that KW and the org. just want to trade Buehrle now is true.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
YES and YES, Damn why didn't you come out earlier, much better response than mine. This is business as usual. Call it what you want, but JR has given into fandom only a few times. Usually they centered around championship seasons or near championship seasons. We suck this year and its time to rebuild. They really don't want to spend money, they want young cheap talent, just like they always wanted.

Yeah, I have been slacking... I am so ashamed :cheers

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
I just noticed the subtitle reads : Sox to Trade, Extend, or Let Buehrle Play Out Contract

are you sure its going to be one of those options?

What other option is there? Waive him?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
wow, that is ridiculous... it really looks like my feeling that KW and the org. just want to trade Buehrle now is true.
Yeah, so basically Buehrle conceded every demand and added an option that would not even affect the Sox's and they turned it down. That clearly shows they never intended to keep him.