Buehrle Signed-Now What?

bogie

I'm glad Buehrle is signed. My concern is where we stand now as far as having any real $ to make this team a contender again. If my calculations are somewhat correct we have obligations to:

Thome-7 million ( our end )

Konerko-12

AJ-5.5

Hall-1.75

Ozuna-1

Buehrle-14

Garland 10

Vasquez-11.5

Contraras-10

Denks-1 ( rounding off)

Macdougal-2

Thorton-1

Jenks-1

That puts us at 77.5 million. Add approximately 8 million for the remainder of the 25/ 40 man roster guys;

Now we are at 85.5 million

Assume we pick up Uribe's option-5 million

Assume we pick up Erstadt option-3.5 million

Assume Crede is health and ready to start opening day-4 million?

These 3=12.5 million

77.5 + 8 million + 12.5 million =98 million

At this point,we still don't know who will play left, right or second.

If we don't pick up any of those 3 options then we don't know who is playing left, center, right, shortstop or second.

Assume we remain around a 105 million dollar payroll team......

Even with a trade of say-Contreras, my concern is where is there any money to fill all the needed holes we currently have? ( with a player that can make a difference) Doesn't seem like there will be any $ to go after any SIGNIFICANT free agents ie: Hunter, Ichiro, Castillo, bullpen help.

Are we stuck now in beging mediocre?

I'm not that worried about the bullpen.

In the 2nd half, the sox should be auditioning everyone from the minors from AA and AAA as bullpen guys for 2008. This should include the best relievers [such as Oneli Perez, Francisco Hernandez Jr. as well as starters with little chance for the big league rotation, such as Haeger, Heath Philips, etc]. Some of the best relievers have been journeymen/ failed starters.

I'd much rather try out some minor leagues in the 2nd half then spend $5 mill a yr for 3, 4 yrs on some washed up has been. Not to mention the sox should be able to count on one or two of Massett, Sisco, Aardsma or MacDougal helping in 2008.

Ozuna = $1.05M

Garland = $12M

Contreras will likely be dealt

Danks = $400K

MacDougal = $1.95M

Thornton = $875K

Jenks = ~$400K

I don't see why Erstad's option would be exercised seeing as how he's hurt and bad

Crede won't make any less than $5M next year but I doubt he will be on the team

The money is there for free agent signings and if another starter along with Contreras is dealt for young talent there will be even more available cash.

Not exactly anything new, when was the last time the Sox signed one of the top free agents that wasn't one of their own guys? Jamie Navarro?

The Sox have usually tried to find bargains on the market to fill in their holes. That generally seems to be the better way to go, otherwise you often end up overpaying for guys that aren't quite true difference makers and giving them really long contracts (ie Zito, El Caballo, Burnett, Drew, Beltre plenty of other examples). Who do you think is happier with who they signed, the Sox with Dye and Iguchi, or the Yankees with Carl Pavano? That's especially true when you have multiple holes to fill instead of just one or two, and even moreso in our case since the bullpen, the most volatile part of the team, is one our major concerns.

Unless we're somehow going to get Joe Nathan or Ichiro (or I guess A-Rod) we're likely going to be better off getting 2 or 3 players instead of one. Adding a group like Luis Castillo, Jose Guillen, and Dan Miceli would probably help more than just getting Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter in our case.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
Unless we're somehow going to get Joe Nathan or Ichiro (or I guess A-Rod) we're likely going to be better off getting 2 or 3 players instead of one. Adding a group like Luis Castillo, Jose Guillen, and Dan Miceli would probably help more than just getting Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter in our case.

Well put. The sox will likely go for a few guys who have something to prove [a one year contract with an option year], and try for a few solid, proven guys like Castillo and even Rowand then spend all the money on one guy.

I think we have to assume that Josh Fields will be at 3B next season, and that one of those young OF's (Owens/Sweeney, possibly Anderson) will take at least one OF spot. The player acquired from Arizona (Richar) could be our 2B next season or at least part of a platoon with Ozuna. We still need a SS, and 2 OF's, but as has been previously posted, I don't think they will spend for a Torii Hunter, but instead will look at mid-level, under the radar players.

The bullpen is a bit of a crapshoot, but we have to at least have 3 arms down there that can be good on a consistent basis, which is something that certainly can be accomplished this offseason. We also will have a starting pitching staff good enough to win some ballgames. The key to 2008 is from now until July 31st, we have to make several trades to get rid of older players/payroll and get something back, as well as figure out a way to improve our everyday player talent going into next year.

HOPEFULLY Fields has a really good 2nd half, we call up Richar and he shows us some things, and Ryan Sweeney keeps getting better. Combine that with a few mid level free agent signees a la Jermaine Dye and A.J. a few years back, and that is how we can be in the race again next year. It's possible, and I hope Kenny proves me wrong and gets the job done.

Couple of thoughts...

-Agreed with Beck about the bullpen. Right now it looks like you have two bullpen locks for next season in Jenks and Logan. If Thorton and MacDougal aren't traded, I'd guess both are with the team next season. That leaves just a couple of spots open. I'd try to give Wasserman, Perez, Vasquez and Day extended looks by the end of the season. Throw a bunch of 'em at the wall and hope one or two stick.

-I don't think the Sox are going to go after a second baseman this winter. It looks like the Richar move was made with Richar being viewed as the future second baseman. So far he hasn't dissappointed, and although he doesn't have the track record (prior this season) to back it up, I'm not seeing any other better option. I don't really want Iguchi back and I wouldn't be a fan of giving Castillo a three-four year deal as his power appears to be completely sapped and I can't see him keeping that .355ish OBP up for too much longer.

-If the Sox are going to go after a cheaper OF option (the people not named Ichiro, Torii or Andruw) I'd look at Milton Bradley. He's not going to command as much money as any of the other outfielders -- he'll get less money and years than Rowand, too -- and he seems like the type of player that Kenny would go after.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
Couple of thoughts...

-Agreed with Beck about the bullpen. Right now it looks like you have two bullpen locks for next season in Jenks and Logan. If Thorton and MacDougal aren't traded, I'd guess both are with the team next season. That leaves just a couple of spots open. I'd try to give Wasserman, Perez, Vasquez and Day extended looks by the end of the season. Throw a bunch of 'em at the wall and hope one or two stick.

-I don't think the Sox are going to go after a second baseman this winter. It looks like the Richar move was made with Richar being viewed as the future second baseman. So far he hasn't dissappointed, and although he doesn't have the track record (prior this season) to back it up, I'm not seeing any other better option. I don't really want Iguchi back and I wouldn't be a fan of giving Castillo a three-four year deal as his power appears to be completely sapped and I can't see him keeping that .355ish OBP up for too much longer.

-If the Sox are going to go after a cheaper OF option (the people not named Ichiro, Torii or Andruw) I'd look at Milton Bradley. He's not going to command as much money as any of the other outfielders -- he'll get less money and years than Rowand, too -- and he seems like the type of player that Kenny would go after.

Milton Bradley would be a risk, but so was AJ and Carl Everett. It might be worth taking a good look at. I would love it if KW signed Byrnes to play LF. Byrnes, Rowand, Castillo would be fine by me. We don't need that big splash type free agent, but we DO need a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 9, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
I don't think the Sox are going to go after a second baseman this winter. It looks like the Richar move was made with Richar being viewed as the future second baseman. So far he hasn't dissappointed, and although he doesn't have the track record (prior this season) to back it up, I'm not seeing any other better option. I don't really want Iguchi back and I wouldn't be a fan of giving Castillo a three-four year deal as his power appears to be completely sapped and I can't see him keeping that .355ish OBP up for too much longer.

I think Rowand is pretty much a lock to sign with the sox. The sox know what they're getting and Aaron would likely sign a reasonable contract.

I think Richar will be looked at as a SS option as well. If he can't play SS then he'll be given a shot at 2b. If a team will take Iguchi for a prospect, then the sox could give Richar an extended look.

Castillo though is an option, only if he'll go for 2 years and a 3rd year team option. His small ball style would complement Thome and PK well. And he could hit leadoff or #2.

Just to add, Fields should get a look in LF. His bat looks major league ready so they need to find a spot other than 3b [at least for 2008]. If not this year then in winter ball, mostly because Crede shouldn't be going anywhere and will be at 3b. He's likely to recover and the sox shouldn't waive him. He's more valuable to the sox because no team will take a chance on him enough to offer a decent deal for him.

The Sox may very well try and sign Dye and Iguchi and I am fine with that. Pods is gone, Erstad is probably gone and my guess is Contreras gets traded before July 31st. Uribe may also see the door. Pods and Erstad can always be signed in the off season, if no viable CF option presents itself.

I don't think there's anyway that all 3 of Contreras,Garland, and Vasquez are on the team next year. I fully expect 2 of them,Garland and Jose most likely, to be traded. That's 20+ million freed up right there but Ichiro should eat up most of that.

Crede is the big dilemna next year. If he's healthy, you have to play him, if for no other reason, to drive up his trade value and be able to get something for him at the all-star break. But you're also hindering Fields' development by doing that. You never know what's going to happen with back injuries. Didn't Rolen have back issues early in his career with Philly? I've always thought Crede and Rolen were similar type players and i would hate to let a talent like that get away for nothing.Anyway Crede's contract is likely to be off the books by mid-season. Plus, i can see the Sox having a 100+ mill budget next year. They have been getting a pretty good attendance figure and Reinsdorf will usually spend a little more if the fans come out and they have.

Contreras and Iguchi are probably gone by July 31, and Dye will be gone by the end of the season. Sweeney and Fields will be in the OF in '08 with a free agent CF and Richar will be 2b, while Floyd gets a shot at the #5 spot after Contreras is gone.