Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 03:05 AM)
I don't have a particular NCAA team I like. I just like basketball -- although I feel guilty about that in the case of college hoops because it's such a screwed up system. What I don't like about Illinois is a series of DUIs and other crimes that put people in the community in danger with relatively no penalties to the guilty parties because they are on the basketball team. Obviously, my dislike of the Illinois basketball program bugs you. All I can is that my disappointment with UI is magnified because I want to like the institution and the basketball team. Really, a Northwestern like performance would be fine with me if the off-the-court problems went away (and the AD didn't embarass UI by publicly berating players and officials at games).

Anyway, I think UI could get a one man class of Suggs and roll the other scholarship over to 2009 and it really wouldn't be that bad of a recruiting season at all. Supposedly the class of 2008 is pretty weak, so missing out on some guys isn't the end of the world. Unfortunately, the media and a lot of fans would still portray it as a failure for Weber. It's clear that's a story the media like to write about. Jereme Richmond was obviously asked a very leading question about his commitment to UI in hopes of just the sort of response he gave.

Don't be so fast about the DUI stuff. We still have yet to hear the fallout.

As for recruiting, both 2008 and 2009 are said to suck and 2010 is apparently loaded. 2010 features Richmond, McCamey's brother and Luther Head's brother, but Illinois only has one scholi available by my count, so their going to have to roll one over from 2009. For 2008, I too think Weber landing one of Suggs/ Miller/Shumpert would be a fine class. I would like Matt Roth to fill in the other scholi(Minority on this one, I know).

I am very confident in landing Suggs for this class. So if you can get Suggs and then maybe get Miller then then class is great. Shumpert seems like he is gone. I will gladly take Suggs and then a out-of-state big. Still, all things considering no matter who we get this class will be a dissapointment b/c we didn't get the Chicago kids. Also, Bruce better start offering for the '09 class because that is what kids like apparently nowadays and Bruce only offers a select few as sophs.

We got commitment 14 today and I wouldn't be surprised if we pulled in one or two more before this weekend is over with the Seminole Showcase camp.

I'm excited about Footman and Parks. One analyst said Footman will be a 4* (he was pre-evaluation Top 100, but slipped because of grades) in the August rankings now that he scored well on the ACT, he is still in question to qualify though. Also, Parks has offers from Ohio State, Florida, and many other impressive schools. I read he is a 3* because he suffered a knee injury last season or something like that.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(zenryan @ Jul 20, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
chimpy---looks like both of our teams are cleaning up so far this summer.

Yeah, for sure. I'm really impressed with the guys Miami is getting.

It's funny, you'd think UF would be raking in, not us. Maybe Urban's lies are starting to catch up to him.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Jul 24, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
LB Steve Filer commits to the Irish today. This is getting unreal and we actually need to start getting some offense commits!

Definitely better hurry. Running out of available schollies.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
Latest word is that Matt Roth will be the next IU verbal.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2007/07/26/iu...hting-up-vegas/

Lights out from beyond the arch! Roth may just be the best 3-point shooter in the nation. He shoots with both range and accuracy and can get his shot off if given even the tiniest bit of room. He’s a smart player that doesn’t take bad shots and gets a lot of his shots off because he moves so well without the ball. Additionally, he is a good rebounder from his position. Speed and lateral quickness are both question marks in Matt’s game. However, he has solid athleticism but needs to incorporate it better in his game. If he does so and continues improving his ball handling and defensive abilities, he will be a solid player at the collegiate level.

That's from midstate hoops.

From what I've heard of him, he's basically got in the gym range but he lacks a bit on the defensive end.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
That's from midstate hoops.

From what I've heard of him, he's basically got in the gym range but he lacks a bit on the defensive end.

Funny, I got an email from the owner of that site the other day asking about joining a network they are forming.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 08:11 PM)
Funny, I got an email from the owner of that site the other day asking about joining a network they are forming.

Pretty good site, imo.

Saluki fans, don't be surprised if we get our first 09 commit rather soon.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
Florida has limited spots open. plus I think they're going national for most recruits. They wont get many from S. Fla this year.

Look at their offer list; they've offered everyone around. So much for only recruiting the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent like Urbie says.

Top 1% of the top 1%

FSU offers

Miami offers

And congrats on getting Forston. He's not really a shock to UM, but that kid is awesome. He's going to be a good one.

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Joseph Bertrand from Sterling chooses SIU over Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and others.

f***in Represent!!!! God I love SIU Basketball soooo much! I love CLo! Can't wait until i'm in Carbondale in '08! One more year of HS and i'm there!

Keep 'em coming CLo!

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Joseph Bertrand from Sterling chooses SIU over Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, and others.

He has scholarship offers from Bradley, Wiscy, Iowa, Marquette and ND besides Southern. He hasn't officially verballed yet but it's a done deal and he was the player I was talking about, btw. Bertrand has been ranked the number 1 player in the state by some recruiting services for 09, so ya, this is a tremendous get.

We're going to be absolutely freaking loaded at guard once the 08-09 classes get here. So, already our 08 scholarships are all full and we only have one left for 09. That being said, CLo is still recruiting for both classes so who the heck knows what might happen, but at the very least we're going to need another big for the 09 class.

Absolutely terrific job by CLo though.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
Hey Brian, SIU is supposedly looking at Brandon Paul from Warren. Kind of interesting, I might need to go to a Stevenson-Warren game this season, see what the kid is all about.

He is only a junior and his potential is limitless. He was brought up to the varsity in the middle of last season but before that, he dominated sophmores. He was dunking over them, shooting over them, going around them, etc..

He struggled on varsity though, but Warren had a lot of talent playing before him. This will be an important year for him. Again, only a junior, but the conference will be tough and he needs to get stronger. All the tools are there. I think he will definetly be a D1 player by the time he graduates.

I did see he is playing really well in AAU this summer. Freakish athlete.