Official Recruiting Thread II

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy I would hope that is a sign that Jamar is gone. I'd be more than happy to eat crow on that subject, much better than the option of having a felon on the Illini (even though Bruce WANTS him back, so if Jamar is gone, the credit will go to Ron Guenther, who would for once have done something right).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 03:47 PM)
Could it be CJ converting to football opening a spot?

Not with the lack of an impression he's left on Zook this summer IMO. Plus, the timing doesn't make sense since the CJ to football stuff has been known for months. I just think a decision was made on Jamar, and that timing makes more sense with school starting up again as the decision was due to be made before classes all started up again. In fact, I bet the decision was already made and just hasn't been announced.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
So out of left field, Illinois picked up a recruit today...for the 07 class.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/recruitingi...s_illinois.html

hmm. can't say this was really expected, but we'll see. the program is pretty stocked with power forwards now. starting to make me wonder of weber has a jerry krause-type fascination with this position. :D

anyhow, the limited video i've seen suggest he's pretty athletic but has a ways to fill out and develop. if there are two people in this year's class, this probably limits us to two kids in 08. some think colvin (who's visiting in a few weeks) is a potential early commit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 13, 2007 -> 06:52 PM)
Not sure. Looks like Illinois will get Miller and Suggs and I swear I'm not just blowing smoke here, guys. Obviously things could change but right now it's looking good on those two as far as the Illini are concerned.

And Keith, looking good on Shumpert.

I no longer trust you.

Suggs to Washington per Washington radio sources. Called all the coaches recruiting him and let them know.

:angry:

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
I no longer trust you.

Suggs to Washington per Washington radio sources. Called all the coaches recruiting him and let them know.

Wow. Weber brings in a 1 star recruit from Virginia and loses Suggs to a team without a scholarship for him. Impressive week's work.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
I no longer trust you.

can't say i'm surprised. the report out of washington earlier was a bad sign to begin with and this confirms those fears. looks like we're are honing in on a complete strikeout with our targets in this class. wonderful work by the staff, just wonderful.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
can't say i'm surprised. the report out of washington earlier was a bad sign to begin with and this confirms those fears. looks like we're are honing in on a complete strikeout with our targets in this class. wonderful work by the staff, just wonderful.

In my effort to be more than just critical Weber, here's a question: what do you think about Ryan Hare? Would he go to UI if offered? How good is he?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
In my effort to be more than just critical Weber, here's a question: what do you think about Ryan Hare? Would he go to UI if offered? How good is he?

nice show of good faith.

i don't know anything about hare as opposed to what i've read on boards, so in that respect i'm not really qualified to assess him. what others say is that he's kind of a tweener who understands the game and plays hard. i've heard people swear that he'll be a great college players because he's an intangibles guy, and others who think he'd struggle to contribute at one of the so-called mid-majors.

would he go to illinois if offered? hell, i'm hesitant to say weber's kids would even choose the illini at this point. i do know that we'd probably be his best offer in terms of high d-1 kids, and it wouldn't hurt to cultivate a little goodwill in the public league.

So instead of ripping on Weber for his misses...which up until now I didn't want to do...I wanted to ask a question to the board...

Does anyone know why Weber is losing these guys? Is he not a good closer? Is he being too honest? Meaning, he won't promise playing time or is trying to be clean and not offering "other" things? Or is it just a string of bad luck?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
So instead of ripping on Weber for his misses...which up until now I didn't want to do...I wanted to ask a question to the board...

Does anyone know why Weber is losing these guys? Is he not a good closer? Is he being too honest? Meaning, he won't promise playing time or is trying to be clean and not offering "other" things? Or is it just a string of bad luck?

it's probably a combination of all of those things. either way, i'm past the point of caring why it happens. the bottom line is we aren't getting kids we are targeting in many, many instances. ultimately, that can be damaging to a program.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
it's probably a combination of all of those things. either way, i'm past the point of caring why it happens. the bottom line is we aren't getting kids we are targeting in many, many instances. ultimately, that can be damaging to a program.

I think its a combination. Here's the other thing though. Weber is a new guy. He's never been a slick, crafty recruiting guru ala Gillespie, Self, etc. He was Keady's X and O's guy; the asst coach to get the team ready to win the game. I think it takes a lot to recruit kids, but one thing it takes (and I stated this previously) is time to establish relationships. Whats funny is that people get pissed because they think that because of recent success he should be able to immediately turn that around and bring in highly rated recruits. But it doesn't work that way. If you're a freshman in HS being recruiting by 15 different schools, just because a team who's interested you does well your junior or senior year doesn't mean you're going to just forget about the relationships you've built with other teams.

Check Weber's status with 2010-2012 kids. He's already gotten a verbal from the best prospect in Illinois, probably top 10 in the nation, in Richmond (who keeps getting better). And from everything I read at Scout and Rival he's very popular with those kids. Why? Because Illinois in this 4-5 year run just became popular. I think a year or two ago they were the fifth most popular team in college basketball with kids aged 10-15 (something close to that...Weber quoted the study at a function). I think it's unfair to expect him to go out and bring in recruits he's had little time to persuade to come here. Illinois isn't the elite program its fan base thinks it is (me included). They've had good success the last few years, but not great. They've made one final four and a couple of elite eights. Solid, but not elite. To expect kids to drop traditional powerhouses (who also continue to win championships/make final four runs) is kinda ridiculous I think.

As for Suggs, it's tough. A highly rated in state recruit who's a legit scorer goes across the country to play for a team that'll never be on TV during primetime for 75% of the country. You scratch your head but then realize his dad is great friends with Romar. It's an understandable decision.

Who knows. I'm tired of it too. At this point I no longer expect anything but the worst and choose to be suprised by any good news. But I don't think the program is going to slip much. We'll still compete for Big Ten championships and make a run at the national title every once and a while. We'll still place well in the tournament. And if that's what we get, well hell, that's better than what we've had the last 20 years.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 05:18 PM)
Wow. Weber brings in a 1 star recruit from Virginia and loses Suggs to a team without a scholarship for him. Impressive week's work.

He's a three star? Not that the star rating matters much. I'd be willing to take any 6'8 kid with a 42 inch vertical, basketball skills or not.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)

Did you read the stuff 2008 G Lewis Jackson was saying about his recruiting tactics?

http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2007...all/1025436.txt

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
He's a three star? Not that the star rating matters much. I'd be willing to take any 6'8 kid with a 42 inch vertical, basketball skills or not.

I read that he was a 1 star on Scout and 3 on Rivals. As you said, the specific rating doesn't matter much. The important point is that this is a player who had 1 offer (Auburn) from a major and a bunch of mid-major offers. Weber has been forced to go out of state to land even mid-major talent.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
I read that he was a 1 star on Scout and 3 on Rivals. As you said, the specific rating doesn't matter much. The important point is that this is a player who had 1 offer (Auburn) from a major and a bunch of mid-major offers. Weber has been forced to go out of state to land even mid-major talent.

You don't know that.

I guess I'm in the minority on taking a chance on a kid who is 6'8 and can jump 42 inches. I mean, that's insane.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
You don't know that.

I guess I'm in the minority on taking a chance on a kid who is 6'8 and can jump 42 inches. I mean, that's insane.

Ditto, I thought Marlyand was in on him as well?

As far as the Lewis Jackson stuff, meh. The kid isn't that special and I'd imagine Weber simply said we're not going to recruit you if you have no interest in coming here. Seems to me it was a way for Weber and crew to not waste their time on someone who didn't have a genuine interest.

Yeah, but this shows what kind of a coach Weber is...he either doesn't want to get burned again (which I can understand) OR he wants his teams to stand on their merit and not drooling over a high-schooler (or 7th grader, for that matter). I never saw him as a touchy-feely guy and I think that is hurting him right now. I wonder if he's too much like Gene Keady? Thanks for that greasy!

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
You don't know that.

It's true -- I read the offer list from some post about him. It might be wrong. But how do you know he can jump 42 inches? You read that somewhere and believe it. The bottom line is that Davis was not a highly sought after recruit. I think that is incontrovertible. It doesn't mean he can't/won't be a good player -- I really have no idea about that. But at this point, it's impossible to defend Weber's recruiting as being anything but bad. He's getting the same talent level that he did at a mid-major. I don't think it's being overly critical to say that.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
But at this point, it's impossible to defend Weber's recruiting as being anything but bad. He's getting the same talent level that he did at a mid-major. I don't think it's being overly critical to say that.

As someone who has defended Weber in the past, mainly because I've always felt you give a coach at least 4 years to put together their team I now feel the end is likely near. I agree with the 1st part of your statement but he has brought in more talent than he did at SIU. Weber's recruiting was always a concern, especially after the 05 class. At that point I thought he still had a chance to be able to recruit at a decent level and it looked like things were heading in the right direction with Semrau and Carlwell. Than he failed to land a single guard in the 06 class which was terrible. The 07 class is solid but it looked like things were turning around with a solid 07 class and Richmond. Now unless things change dramatically I think he only has 2 years left.