Official Recruiting Thread II

Wow, Willie Warren goes to Oklahoma, that is a huge get for Jeff Caple. He will be a big time point guard to run the show for the Sooners.

Scotty Hopson rumors are picking up steam. He sounds a lot like Eric Gordan last year. Saying that he is not opening up his recruitment, and is still with Miss. State, but he and his family does not think it is time to sign the letter of intent and he will probably wait until the spring to finalize his decision. The kid is a stud and we will see if he is actually headed to Starksville.

Edited by JuiceCruz16

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Devoe Joseph commits to the Gophers. It's amazing the impact Tubby has had on the recruiting front.

The best part:

Russell also said that Joseph was impressed with the student section cheering when he visited during the season-opening win against Army at Williams Arena on Nov. 10.

"The reception he got was nice," Russell said. "He was suprised everybody knew who he was."

I was definitely a part of that.. we kept strong with "We want Joseph" chants throughout the game, and he kept looking over and smiling at us.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Felix,

Self shyed away from Joseph, thus allowing Tubby to swoop in. Trust he would be a jayhawk if we really wanted him...either way go canada

I don't know how much I believe you, since Joseph was high on the Gophers for awhile and appears to be a big Tubby fan. Either way, I'm glad to have him committed to the Gophers..

Also:

Tubby's recruiting class now seventh

Hoop Scoop Online has updated its 2008 recruiting class rankings after the early signing period ended. The Gophers are ranked seventh in the nation and first in the Big Ten, moving ahead of Ohio State.

The jump from 12th to seventh in the nation occurred after Tubby Smith landed top Canadian guard Devoe Joseph on Wednesday night.

Tubby can't recruit my ass.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
I don't know how much I believe you, since Joseph was high on the Gophers for awhile and appears to be a big Tubby fan. Either way, I'm glad to have him committed to the Gophers..

Also:

Tubby can't recruit my ass.

Is your ass D-I caliber?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Illinois football steals Iowa's top commit.

Yeah, Jason Ford. First, he committed, then he became a soft committ, then apparently re-comitted firmly a couple weeks ago and now de-committs and comitts to Illinois. Kinda odd...But he has got all the measureables you want from an elite back. Big (6 foot,) strong (215 lbs.) and fast (4.40 speed.) I think that and his gaudy numbers should make him a 4-star prospect, but he is a high 3. I will take him, he is gonna be good.

Yeah Ellington came with him, although he's a head case, was a Iowa State verbal, then Iowa, now Illinois. Anyways, if back to back 6-6 regular seasons weren't proof, the fact that Iowa can't cross the border and get players anymore is a MAJOR red flag for the football program. On the flip side, this class is going to be something special for Zook and the boys come signing day, they are actually going to have to turn down a few pretty damn good prospects because they simply don't have room. Unfortunately though, I think the Jason Ford switch is a sign that the program is aware the likelihood of Rashard Mendenhall coming back is low.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
Yeah Ellington came with him, although he's a head case, was a Iowa State verbal, then Iowa, now Illinois. Anyways, if back to back 6-6 regular seasons weren't proof, the fact that Iowa can't cross the border and get players anymore is a MAJOR red flag for the football program. On the flip side, this class is going to be something special for Zook and the boys come signing day, they are actually going to have to turn down a few pretty damn good prospects because they simply don't have room. Unfortunately though, I think the Jason Ford switch is a sign that the program is aware the likelihood of Rashard Mendenhall coming back is low.

I dont necessary think they are related. The Illini wanted 2-3 RBs in the class anyways, and since Hodge was going to prep school for a year, they wanted to cover their bases and get two more prospects. And from Day1, there top two guys were Leshoure and Ford; this was before the season when Rashard was still just a developing prospect. I actually am in the minority, but I think Rashard will come back in hopes of officially turning around Illinois by going for a double-digit regular season victory total. We shall see tho.

couple of illinois football recruiting tidbits....

-five-star defensive back boubacar cissoko is going to visit illinois. cissoko has committed to michigan and says he remains "100 percent committed" but wants to feel out his options in case he doesn't like how the michigan coaching hire plays out. he's also visiting tennessee.

-offensive lineman david young from edwardsville has narrowed his list to illinois and florida. according to the most recent article on the florida site, he favors florida. you know how that goes.

-linebacker ramon buchanon from florida, scout's top-ranked weak-side linebacker, is hedging on his commitment to miami and will visit illinois. buchanon also has offers from lsu, florida, and florida state.

-wide receiver jarred fayson has decided to transfer from florida and lists florida state, south florida, and illinois as his most likely destinations. fayson was a five-star recruit and was scout's third-ranked receiver in the nation. however, he's stuck behind percy harvin and wants more playing time. also some speculation he wants to play quarterback, in which case i don't see him at illinois since we are pretty well set there.

fwiw, all of these (excepting young) are probably long shots. but this is an example of what zook can do when he's got a winning team to promote.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
couple of illinois football recruiting tidbits....

-five-star defensive back boubacar cissoko is going to visit illinois. cissoko has committed to michigan and says he remains "100 percent committed" but wants to feel out his options in case he doesn't like how the michigan coaching hire plays out. he's also visiting tennessee.

-offensive lineman david young from edwardsville has narrowed his list to illinois and florida. according to the most recent article on the florida site, he favors florida. you know how that goes.

-linebacker ramon buchanon from florida, scout's top-ranked weak-side linebacker, is hedging on his commitment to miami and will visit illinois. buchanon also has offers from lsu, florida, and florida state.

-wide receiver jarred fayson has decided to transfer from florida and lists florida state, south florida, and illinois as his most likely destinations. fayson was a five-star recruit and was scout's third-ranked receiver in the nation. however, he's stuck behind percy harvin and wants more playing time. also some speculation he wants to play quarterback, in which case i don't see him at illinois since we are pretty well set there.

fwiw, all of these (excepting young) are probably long shots. but this is an example of what zook can do when he's got a winning team to promote.

Wow...when was the last time you saw Illinois in on recruits with the likes of Miami, Florida, Florida St., LSU and Tennessee. Amazing. I have to say, I am torn, of course I want the Illini in a BCS bowl, but a Florida-Illinois matchup would be fantastic.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Wow...when was the last time you saw Illinois in on recruits with the likes of Miami, Florida, Florida St., LSU and Tennessee. Amazing. I have to say, I am torn, of course I want the Illini in a BCS bowl, but a Florida-Illinois matchup would be fantastic.

i don't know how i feel about that. the story would be great, but i don't feel the program is to the point where that's a game we win. same with the rose bowl. i'd never turn down a shot at that game, but i shudder to think about us against usc.

i think there will be a time in the next few years where we'll be better positioned to compete against those kinds of team. but right now i'm not sure we have the depth of talent to win that kind of game.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Jarred Fayson is supposedly going to Illinois per Jaime Newberg. He would be your best recruit in the class even with him being a red-shirt sophomore after he red-shirts at Illinois. He's a tremendous athlete whether he gets a shot at QB or not.

wow. do you have a link on this? not doubting you at all but that's crazy.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=73#s=73&amp...2&t=1525497

It's a premium message board, so if you don't have access, here is his quote.

"I think he is headed to Illinois.Jamie Newberg

National Recruiting Analyst, Scout.com"

thanks much. that is crazy.