Thome's Quest for 500

SouthSidePride05

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Rotoworld:

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he is thinking about putting Jim Thome in the leadoff spot late in the season if the slugger needs more at-bats to reach 500 home runs.

Anything is better than keeping Jerry Owens there. Thome is currently seven homers away from 500.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 1, 2007 -> 01:21 AM)
I am he gets it this year, it would be one of the few highlights of a lousy season.

Actually, as far as highlights are concerned, I'd say this year was probably pretty good. Buehrle's no-no, Jenks tying the most consecutive set down streak, and - even though he's a Blue Jay - Thomas hitting 500. The season itself has just sucked.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 9, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
I really hope he doesn't start pressing and continues to pound them over to get to 500 this year.

Thome doesn't strike me as the "pressing" type. If his 400th was any indication then #500 will come within the week. He hit 6 HR over a 7 game span during the 2004 season to go from 394 to 400, he actually hit #401 the very next day.

Homering in 3 consecutive games starting with #496 is a very good sign, Jim tends to hit HRs in bunches.