Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
Monsters vs Aliens is from Dreamworks.

Damn you got me. And I knew it when I was typing it. Too early, not enough coffee yet.

Still, Dreamworks provides some pretty good stuff as well. Not Pixar/Disney, but Shrek is nothing to shake a stick at

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monsters Vs. Aliens was top notch. great story, great animation, good 3D. And a lot like Pixar's Incredibles, lots of raised eyebrow nods to the various homages it hails from. The thrown giant syringe, ala' Amazing Colossal Man. . . Insectasaurus going through a Mothra-inspired metamorphosis . . Missing Link having a thing for co-ed bathing beauties the way Universal's Creature seemed to. . . Great stuff.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 09:15 AM)
Monsters Vs. Aliens was top notch. great story, great animation, good 3D. And a lot like Pixar's Incredibles, lots of raised eyebrow nods to the various homages it hails from. The thrown giant syringe, ala' Amazing Colossal Man. . . Insectasaurus going through a Mothra-inspired metamorphosis . . Missing Link having a thing for co-ed bathing beauties the way Universal's Creature seemed to. . . Great stuff.

Yeah, an incredible homage to the old school horror movies. The only one you left out was the Fly/Cockroach scientist, And I thought Hugh Laurie was the perfect voice for that character, as well as Kiefer Sutherland being a great voice for the Warden/General.

Insectasaurus was a pretty funny combination of Godzilla and Mothra, I liked how they got him from place to place with a giant halogen light hanging from a helicopter.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
Yeah, an incredible homage to the old school horror movies. The only one you left out was the Fly/Cockroach scientist, And I thought Hugh Laurie was the perfect voice for that character, as well as Kiefer Sutherland being a great voice for the Warden/General. Insectasaurus was a pretty funny combination of Godzilla and Mothra, I liked how they got him from place to place with a giant halogen light hanging from a helicopter.

Doctor Cockroach was brilliant -- right down to the pencil-thin Vincent Price mustache!! And the shot of Bob oozing out the double doors was right out of the original The Blob as well.

Arrested Development fans should all get a kick out of Gob (as Link) doing the "Ca-CAW! Ca-CAWW!!" chicken call too.

Kiefer Sutherland said he modeled General Monger's voice on a combination of the Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant and Yosemite Sam - and listening to the voice I think that was a pretty good assessment.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
Doctor Cockroach was brilliant -- right down to the pencil-thin Vincent Price mustache!! And the shot of Bob oozing out the double doors was right out of the original The Blob as well.

Arrested Development fans should all get a kick out of Gob (as Link) doing the "Ca-CAW! Ca-CAWW!!" chicken call too.

Kiefer Sutherland said he modeled General Monger's voice on a combination of the Full Metal Jacket drill sergeant and Yosemite Sam - and listening to the voice I think that was a pretty good assessment.

Is that how they spell it on Arrested Development? I never looked at it, i figured it was spelled Jobe

edit: NM, wikipedia explains all

Michael's older brother is Gob, played by Will Arnett. His name is an acronym for George Oscar Bluth II, and although pronounced Jōb, as in the Biblical figure, it is frequently mispronounced as Gŏb by various characters in the show. Gob is an unsuccessful professional magician whose business and personal schemes usually fail. He uses a Segway for transportation, and sometimes converses with others from it while stationary, as if it were a pulpit.

lol

Edited by kyyle23

Dreamworks bought the rights to film the book Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides, one of my favorite books and a great story for the big screen. Can't find any other info yet - no director, or producer, or anyone else attached.

Casting Kit Carson should be an interesting challenge. As an older man, Robert Duvall would be a perfect Carson. The younger one, though, I'm not so sure.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Spoilers guys...

I guess. These characters, and most of the scenes we mentioned are in the trailers. I will edit anything with spoiler tags that isnt on a trailer though

He usually is, yes. But that 2006 Miami Vice resurrection film was awful.

I was just going to post that. I rented that this week and it was nothing like the TV show and it was cliche filled undercover cop story.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 04:26 PM)
I was just going to post that. I rented that this week and it was nothing like the TV show and it was cliche filled undercover cop story.

One of the few Mann movies I refuse to watch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Dreamworks bought the rights to film the book Blood and Thunder, by Hampton Sides, one of my favorite books and a great story for the big screen. Can't find any other info yet - no director, or producer, or anyone else attached.

Casting Kit Carson should be an interesting challenge. As an older man, Robert Duvall would be a perfect Carson. The younger one, though, I'm not so sure.

I was also thinking about casting Carson and I couldn't come up with a good match. I am also wondering what they will leave out from the book. There were so many interesting and important things that happened in Blood and Thunder over such a long period of time that it is probably going to be hard to cut into a 2 hour movie.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 12:22 PM)

Russell Crowe maybe?

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 09:30 PM)
Russell Crowe maybe?

No. I'm a fan of Crowe generally, but, I don't think he's the right fit.

You need someone who is like a craggy, stout tea kettle of a man, built but short, gruff and unshowy. I don't think Crowe fits that too well.

Lance Henrikson could also do the older version, or maybe Ed Harris. But again, having a hard time thinking of the younger version.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
I was also thinking about casting Carson and I couldn't come up with a good match. I am also wondering what they will leave out from the book. There were so many interesting and important things that happened in Blood and Thunder over such a long period of time that it is probably going to be hard to cut into a 2 hour movie.

Oh you'd have to cut out a ton of great stuff, no doubt, and still end up with probably a near 3 hour movie. But, its a great opportunity to cast some really interesting characters along the way, with some great actors, hopefully.

I just got Netflix yesterday. Anyone have any suggestions for movies?

Also, I have a question. When you send back a DVD, do you have to wait until they physically receive it back for another one to be sent to you? I'm not sure if there's a feature online where you can just say it was sent back and they'll send the next one (I seriously doubt this).

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 02:06 PM)
I just got Netflix yesterday. Anyone have any suggestions for movies?

Also, I have a question. When you send back a DVD, do you have to wait until they physically receive it back for another one to be sent to you? I'm not sure if there's a feature online where you can just say it was sent back and they'll send the next one (I seriously doubt this).

They have to receive the movie before they send another one. I think there's an option to have 2 or more movies at once. That obviously costs more.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 03:04 PM)
Yeah, I got the two DVD option. Just wondering.

They normally receive it and ship out a new one the day after you send it. Pretty much, if you leave it in your mailbox on a Monday, you should have a new one by Wednesday.

As Paramount Pictures readies the May 8 release of its "Star Trek" franchise relaunch, the studio is moving forward with a sequel, and has hired Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to pen the screenplay.

J.J. Abrams, who directed and produced the latest chapter, is onboard to produce the follow-up alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk. No decision has been made yet on whether Abrams will return behind the camera for the sequel.

Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof also are receiving producing credit on the sequel.

Story is still in the embryonic stage, but the trio are aiming to deliver their script to the Melrose studio by Christmas for what would likely be a summer 2011 release.

"There's obviously a lot of hubris involved in signing on to write a sequel of a movie that hasn't even come out yet," said Lindelof, co-creator with Abrams of ABC's "Lost" who produced the upcoming "Trek" but did not contribute to Orci and Kurtzman's screenplay. "But we're so excited about the first one that we wanted to proceed."