Michael Vick Accepts Plea Deal Per ESPN

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
I need new shoes. I had thought about buying some of those Starbury shoes due to my liking the concept of them, and them being in a great price range.

Welp, now it looks like I'll be going back to Wal-Mart and buying something a little more expensive but not endorsed by a moron.

Starbury made a good name for himself with those shoes earlier in the year. He made an impression on alot of people of someone with compassion. Of course now he makes dumbass comments like dog fighting is a sport, just behind doors.

Want to know what sport was behind closed door a couple of years ago? MMA and the entire UFC. Does anyone think dogfighting will have the same mainstread success? No, because its cruel and unusual, and these atheletes are proving not only their lack of education, but their downright lack of common sense. What happened to the athletes that were good role models and decent citizens? Now some of them spend more time in jail than on the field, and they STILL have someone trying to rationalize their actions.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
IS there any link to Marbury's comments?

New York Knicks guard Stephon Marbury defended Michael Vick, calling dogfighting a sport and comparing it to hunting.

Marbury spoke Monday about the federal dogfighting conspiracy charges against Vick while promoting his basketball shoe in Albany, N.Y.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal-fighting venture. He also faces possible prosecution in Virginia.

"I think it's tough that we build Michael Vick up and then we break him down," Marbury said. "I think he's one of the superb athletes, and he's a good human being. I just think that he fell into a bad situation."

USA today

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
No grapes. But enough Bazooka bubble gum before the age of 8 that in today's market it would probably add up to a felony charge. My grampa did own the store though. :lolhitting

Bazooka Joe.....damn I haven't had that stuff in years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
Bazooka Joe.....damn I haven't had that stuff in years.

They've changed it. The comic is now on the wrapper itself, the gum is no longer a block (it's longer and thinner), and it now seems to be made of some sort of wax instead of the good ol' rock it used to be made of. Oh, and they changed Bazooka Joe and his gang to look more "hip".

As for dog fighting, since grey hound racing is struggling to survive due to how many people are claiming it inhumane, I don't know what makes these idiots think that dog fighting will be looked at with any higher respect.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
They've changed it. The comic is now on the wrapper itself, the gum is no longer a block (it's longer and thinner), and it now seems to be made of some sort of wax instead of the good ol' rock it used to be made of. Oh, and they changed Bazooka Joe and his gang to look more "hip".

There is an ice cream/candy store in downtown Naperville, a block east of Washington I believe (don't hold me to that) that still sells it the old way in buckets.

Looks like Vick is still maintaining his innocence on gambling and killing the dogs, and is only pleading guilty to interstate commerce crimes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...f=si_topstories

ATLANTA (AP) -- Michael Vick's father said he asked his son to give up dogfighting, or to at least put property used in the venture in the names of others to avoid being implicated, according to a report in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Also Thursday night, a report on ESPN.com cited an unidentified ESPN source saying Vick will not admit to killing dogs or gambling on dogfights when he enters a guilty plea in a Richmond, Va., federal court Monday.

ESPN reported that Vick's defense team met with federal attorneys Thursday afternoon to determine the "summary of facts" to which Vick will plead. But ESPN's source said Vick maintains he never killed dogs and never gambled on a dog fight. The source told ESPN the Atlanta Falcons quarterback will plead guilty to the charge of interstate commerce for the purpose of dogfighting.

On Monday, Vick agreed to plead guilty Monday in the federal dogfighting case in Richmond. He faces up to five years in prison and the possible end of his football career. Three co-defendants already pleaded guilty and were expected to testify against Vick if the case went to trial. In addition, a Virginia prosecutor is considering bringing state charges against Vick.

In The Journal-Constitution report posted on the newspaper's Web site Thursday night, Michael Boddie, who is estranged from Vick and the quarterback's mother, also said some time around 2001 his son staged dogfights in the garage of the family home in Newport News, Va.

Boddie told the newspaper Vick kept fighting dogs in the family's backyard, including dogs that were "bit up, chewed up, exhausted." Boddie claimed to have nursed the dogs back to health.

The indictment against Vick does not mention the parents' former home in Newport News.

In the report, Boddie dismissed the idea that Vick's longtime friends were the main instigators of the dogfighting operation.

"I wish people would stop sugarcoating it," Boddie told The Journal-Constitution. "This is Mike's thing. And he knows it ... likes it, and he has the capital to have a set up like that."

The report said Boddie and the Atlanta Falcons quarterback have had a volatile relationship for years and that his son has refused to speak with him directly for the last 2½ half months.

Boddie, 45, lives in an apartment his son has paid the rent on for the last three years. Vick, who has a $130 million contract with the Falcons, also gives him a couple of hundred dollars every week or two, the father told the newspaper.

In the report, Boddie also said he asked Vick for $1 million, spread out over 12 years, Vick declined, the father said. Recently, Boddie asked Vick, through an assistant, for $700,000 to live on.

Lester Munson was talking about this on ESPNNews last night, and he was pretty amazed that Vick is going to attempt to dictate the plea agreement by not admitting his guilt on the dog-killing and gambling. If he doesnt plead guilty to those crimes, does that mean the feds can still go after him on those seperate offenses that he is not admitting guilt to?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
Lester Munson was talking about this on ESPNNews last night, and he was pretty amazed that Vick is going to attempt to dictate the plea agreement by not admitting his guilt on the dog-killing and gambling. If he doesnt plead guilty to those crimes, does that mean the feds can still go after him on those seperate offenses that he is not admitting guilt to?

I hope so. Ron Mexico's arrogance is amazing to me, really.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 06:57 AM)

I believe they can pull the plea deal since he's trying to alter it. Hopefully they can, and do, and then the state files on their charges. Also, I hope someone reminds the Feds about the RICO charges.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:16 AM)
I believe they can pull the plea deal since he's trying to alter it. Hopefully they can, and do, and then the state files on their charges. Also, I hope someone reminds the Feds about the RICO charges.

I must have missed something... what crime did he commit under RICO?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 07:39 AM)
I must have missed something... what crime did he commit under RICO?

Many according to the federal indictment. Specifically the racketeering and gambling activities.

The support of Vick, I believe, has more to do with people's upbringing and now current superstar and wealthy status where they live in a dream world than it does with just the color of their skin. As Wilbon said yesterday, maybe if these guys take the earphones off and listen and pay attention to the world, their comments would be a lot different.

People who "wish Vick the best" are idiots though. Why does he deserve the best? GMAFB. He deserves hell and then some.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
Yeah, I knew about the gambling, but I haven't read into racketeering charges. I guess I tuned out after the stuff with the dogs.

Actually, many crimes committed by a group that the government calls "organized" can be slapped with RICO charges. They have changed the parameters a lot since it's inception in the mob days.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Actually, many crimes committed by a group that the government calls "organized" can be slapped with RICO charges. They have changed the parameters a lot since it's inception in the mob days.

Interesting. I have never been overly familiar with RICO, except as it applies to business practices (it didn't come up much at a local level in law enforcement). The organized crime stuff I guess is what is biting Vick here.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
Interesting. I have never been overly familiar with RICO, except as it applies to business practices (it didn't come up much at a local level in law enforcement). The organized crime stuff I guess is what is biting Vick here.

Some info on Wiki..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Inf...ganizations_Act

I think its funny that Vicks "boys" told the feds about Vick being present and taking part in killing over 8 dogs, and also told them that he supplied all the money for betting, and yet Vick thinks he can just not cop to those charges. If thats part of the plea agreement, thats fine, but we ALL know you did it Mike.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Michael Vick is snitchin' and might just get some time off because of it. He could end up serving a large portion of his jail time (which could end up being only 1 year or less total) under House arrest.

If that's the case, f*** this justice system. I'm already greatly cynical about it, and this would only make it a lot worse.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
Michael Vick is snitchin' and might just get some time off because of it. He could end up serving a large portion of his jail time (which could end up being only 1 year or less total) under House arrest.

Source? Or speculation? Either fine, just curious.