Isn't it ironic?

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

that everyone always talks about how tough the AL Central division is and people on here always talking about how the white sox have no chance to compete in this division with teams like Cleveland, Detroit, and Minnesota...well, relatively speaking, games against AL Central opponents this year hasn't been the problem (20-18 record), the problem has been with teams in the AL East (13-16, which I really don't understand considering there are only 2 good teams in that division) and even worse still interleague play (4-14, that's just awful)

and here's a fun stat:

the White Sox are 13-7 this year in games that Scott Podsednik gets 2 or more at-bats. I don't think it is a coincidence over the last 3 years that when he plays this team is much more successful, just sayin

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

I don't think that the Central is going to be a juggernaut again next year. The Tigers don't have nearly the same degree of pitching that they did last year and the Indians and Twins also lack pitching depth. It'll be a competitive division, but I don't see it taking 96-99 victories to win it.

I don't think that the Central is going to be a juggernaut again next year. The Tigers don't have nearly the same degree of pitching that they did last year and the Indians and Twins also lack pitching depth. It'll be a competitive division, but I don't see it taking 96-99 victories to win it.

:huh:

Twins lack pitching depth..

Santana,Garza,Lirano,Boonser...Man, That just sucks..

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)

yea i dont know about the twins but i do know that cleveland lacks pitching depth, despite all these so-called young arms they supposedly have even though sowers is one of those and he just sucks

The Tigers don't have nearly the same degree of pitching that they did last year and the Indians and Twins also lack pitching depth

I sure wish the Sox had the Tiger's problems with pitching :cheers

Verlander 11-3

Bonderman 10-2

Durbin 7-3

Miller 5-3

Grilli 5-2

Jones 27 saves

Seay 2.96 ERA in 36 games

and don't forget Zumaya will be back next month.

I also wish the Sox had the Tiger's problems with hitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)

Verlander 11-3

Bonderman 10-2

Durbin 7-3

Miller 5-3

Grilli 5-2

Jones 27 saves

after those guys they lack depth though

Verlander 11-3

Bonderman 10-2

Durbin 7-3

Miller 5-3

Grilli 5-2

Jones 27 saves

Durbin, Grilli and Jones aren't players to envy. I don't think Seay is, either.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

Verlander 11-3

Bonderman 10-2

Durbin 7-3

Miller 5-3

Grilli 5-2

Jones 27 saves

I'd taken the proven history of the durability of Garland/Buerhle/Vazquez over Verlander/Bonderman/Miller

Durbin/Grilli/Seay/Jones are, for the long run not much better than McDougal/Jenks/Thorton.

The little span from late May through June killed this team and I am not sure what happened.

I also believe the AL Central is vastly overrated. This offseason none of the teams will improve themself except hopefully the Sox.

QUOTE(SoxFan77 @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)

Santana - has one more year with twins and than is pitching for someone else.

Garza - still young

Boonser - 4.53 era and is 25 years old.

Lirano - tommy john surgery, make take him a year to get back

its good but its not unbeatble.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
I too have noticed when Pods plays, this team is better. I just cant convince myself of that. And his BA is one of the higher ones on the team, but ya i know, small sample size

Outfield on days Podsednik is not in the lineup:

Dye

Owens

Mack/Terrero

With the fact that it took Owens until July to even figure out how to hit singles at the MLB level, the fact that Terrero is an excellent 4th or 5th OF as a defensive replacement, and the terrible season Mack was having, It's pretty darn easy to see why sticking a guy who can occasionally get singles and steal bases at a 50% clip might be useful. Esp. with Terrero now hurt.

This team would not suck total ass if they had a legitimate leadoff hitter. Believe it or not, if you plugged Kenny Lofton into this lineup at the beginning of the Season, the Sox would not be 10 games under and 14.5 GB right now. An above average and healthy leadoff man makes this team so much better, which is exactly why they need to part with Mr. Podsednik as soon as possible.

The Sox are 6-2 in games in which Jerry Owens has at least 1 hit and 1 SB.

Verlander 11-3

Bonderman 10-2

Durbin 7-3

Miller 5-3

Grilli 5-2

Jones 27 saves

17th blown save of the season yesterday. Not too good right there....

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
I'd taken the proven history of the durability of Garland/Buerhle/Vazquez over Verlander/Bonderman/Miller

Durbin/Grilli/Seay/Jones are, for the long run not much better than McDougal/Jenks/Thorton.

The little span from late May through June killed this team and I am not sure what happened.

I also believe the AL Central is vastly overrated. This offseason none of the teams will improve themself except hopefully the Sox.

Annointing Detroit's pitching seems crazy. Durbin is 30 and has been a 6.00 ERA guy for most of his career. Jones is FORTY and looks like he may be done (.282 BAA). Nate Robertson is old and smelly. Kenny Rogers is done. Even Bonderman has really only had this year where you would say he's great. Of course the Sox don't have anyone as good as Verlander. But that doesn't make them deep. Detroits winning because they are #1 in all of baseball for batting average, runs scored and slugging percent. And how long will that last? Magglio is 33 and having a career year. Shefield is 40. Ivan Rodriquez is 36. Carlos Guillen is 32. Polanco is 32. Brandon Inge is 30. If I was a Tiger fan I would be more nervous than a Sox fan (though I think they have a bunch of prospects coming up).

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jul 26, 2007 -> 06:27 PM)

It's funny how people can turn "they lack the pitching depth that they had last year" into "their pitching isn't very good" strawman arguments. For the Tigers' sake, I hope that they're not going to be relying too heavily on Rogers, Robertson, Grilli, Rodney, or Jones next season. And LOL at the comment about Jones' 27 saves, while completely ignoring his age and horrible ERA and WHIP. :lol:

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 08:18 AM)
Santana - has one more year with twins and than is pitching for someone else.

Garza - still young

Boonser - 4.53 era and is 25 years old.

Lirano - tommy john surgery, make take him a year to get back

its good but its not unbeatble.

Nobody outside of Santana scares me. I like Bonser's upside, but he's still unproven. And I have to laugh at Carlos Silva and Scott Baker.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(michelangelosmonkey @ Jul 27, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
Annointing Detroit's pitching seems crazy. Durbin is 30 and has been a 6.00 ERA guy for most of his career. Jones is FORTY and looks like he may be done (.282 BAA). Nate Robertson is old and smelly. Kenny Rogers is done. Even Bonderman has really only had this year where you would say he's great. Of course the Sox don't have anyone as good as Verlander. But that doesn't make them deep. Detroits winning because they are #1 in all of baseball for batting average, runs scored and slugging percent. And how long will that last? Magglio is 33 and having a career year. Shefield is 40. Ivan Rodriquez is 36. Carlos Guillen is 32. Polanco is 32. Brandon Inge is 30. If I was a Tiger fan I would be more nervous than a Sox fan (though I think they have a bunch of prospects coming up).

Great post.