White Sox vs. Tigers, 8/05/07 (W)

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
no one mentioned that until you bud

You said you'd rather spend it on pitching. Let's go, start naming these pitchers. God knows our rotation has so many holes -- oh, wait, we have Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland and Danks all average or better locked up through next season and guys like Floyd, Egbert and Gonzalez ready to battle for the fifth spot (that's if Contreras continues to suck).

So you're going to spend $10 million+ on the bullpen. That's brilliant.

You can keep up your dips***, demeaning attitude and call us "kids" all day, I really don't give a damn -- you've brought up ZERO good points about why Bonds shouldn't be signed. Oh, right, we need "speed and defense", because EVERYBODY knows you can't win unless you have Juan Pierre out in LF. Juan Pierre brings speed and defense, so he'd probably be better than Bonds, right? And he's a GREAT CITIZEN, too, so we'd have a happy clubhouse! Good times all around!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding Bonds really is like adding 2 and a half hitters to a lineup; first, you have Bonds, who is 1 and a half players himself. Next, you take the person hitting 3rd in front of him and watch said player - be it Jeff Kent, Rich Aurilia, Benito Santiago, or JT Snow - have an amazing season getting pitches to hit because protection actually does exist. Finally, you realize that by adding Bonds to the lineup, the Sox offense could score 900 runs with 4 guys - Konerko, Thome, Bonds, and AJP - making big money. If they can find a way to keep Dye, they could very easily have the best offense in the league.

This is all with adding 1 bat to the lineup.

Did Rowand re-sign yet? sign him before bonds.

As far as pitchers, I don't have a list of free agents and don't watch ESPN all day so don't know who is available. I have a job and stuff, don't have time to read over endless lines of baseball stats. but i do know that the sox won't sign bonds (thank god).

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
Adding Bonds really is like adding 2 and a half hitters to a lineup; first, you have Bonds, who is 1 and a half players himself. Next, you take the person hitting 3rd in front of him and watch said player - be it Jeff Kent, Rich Aurilia, Benito Santiago, or JT Snow - have an amazing season getting pitches to hit because protection actually does exist. Finally, you realize that by adding Bonds to the lineup, the Sox offense could score 900 runs with 4 guys - Konerko, Thome, Bonds, and AJP - making big money. If they can find a way to keep Dye, they could very easily have the best offense in the league.

This is all with adding 1 bat to the lineup.

Check out what the fans would think so far:

85.7% - No

14.3% - Yes

I don't want him, and I don't care how he is in the clubhouse. To me, he has done everything the wrong way, and I expect baseball to be played a certain way. I will not pay to see someone like that.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Check out what the fans would think so far:

85.7% - No

14.3% - Yes

I don't want him, and I don't care how he is in the clubhouse. To me, he has done everything the wrong way, and I expect baseball to be played a certain way. I will not pay to see someone like that.

So who has done it the right way? Prove to me that PK, Thome, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Rowand, Everett, Iguchi, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy, and every other person who has worn a White Sox uniform for the past 3 years or 5 years or 10 years has been clean and performed like you think they should perform.

You can't.

There's absolutely no reason not to add Bonds if he wants to come here and is willing to play LF, other than blind bias and hatred.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
Bonds sure is doing alot for the Giants right now.

13 games back.... they must be lacking 7 1/2 hitters.

How about we get a bullpen, and stay away from cheaters.

They also have an embarrassing major league lineup. Clearly it is Bonds' fault they are 13 games out. And getting a bullpen and signing Bonds can both be done considering getting a bullpen is not a costly thing to do.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
no offense, but some kid from Naperville doesn't really have his "finger on the pulse" of sox fans. Sox fans DO NOT want him, trust me on that.

You don't have your finger on the pulse of Sox fans either.

And, I don't claim to, but I really think you'd be surprised. More people in the country like Bonds than you think. People in San Diego rooting for him proved that to me last night.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:38 PM)
neither did 85% of fans in the Comcast poll. those idiots.

The same people voting in that poll are the same people who call into the post-game show and say that the reason we suck is because Podsednik and Erstad are hurt. Those same people would be cheering for Bonds as he's getting on-base every other at-bat and the Sox are in first place next season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
So who has done it the right way? Prove to me that PK, Thome, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Rowand, Everett, Iguchi, Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Vazquez, McCarthy, and every other person who has worn a White Sox uniform for the past 3 years or 5 years or 10 years has been clean and performed like you think they should perform.

You can't.

There's absolutely no reason not to add Bonds if he wants to come here and is willing to play LF, other than blind bias and hatred.

To bad he can't play the field anymore and Thome is already our DH.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
People in San Diego rooting for him proved that to me last night.

I think thats a lofty assumption....

I think those fans were booing him like crazy right before he hit that HR..... they were cheering more out of the fact that 755 was hit, not because they were BONDS fans.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
that worked well for us this year.

Maybe we should've thrown money at Danys Baez or Justin Speier, because everybody knows throwing gobs of money at bullpen guys is the way to go.

To bad he can't play the field anymore and Thome is already our DH.

You say this like a.) left field is an important defensive position in the first place and b.) we've had a stellar defender out there the past couple seasons.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)

You can't.

This shouldn't turn into a Bonds bashing thread. So, I'll say this and leave it at that. Then, go ahead and respond however you want. I am not going to respond again.

Are any of those players under investigation by the feds? Do any of those players have multiple books written about them with very specific information in it? How are those players perceived by the media? Are any of them viewed as badly as him? There couldn't be a reason for that, could there? Where there is smoke, there is fire.

I don't hate Bonds; I really can't say I know him at all. But, there is enough documented evidence and shady people that he deals with for me to get a pretty informed opinion as to how he has gotten where he has. How about he actually go ahead and dispel some of this evidence against him if he truly is innocent. If not innocent, how about an apology? That would go a long way with me.

Has anyone other than me noticed that Bonds's numbers, aside from the month of April and the fact that NL teams still don't want to pitch to him, are rather pedestrian this season? The OBP is still through the roof because people won't throw him strikes, but, well look:

April: .356 .536 .814 1.350

May: 194 .449 .388 .837

June: .364 .558 .621 1.179

July: 186 .429 .424 .853

August: .111 .333 .111 .444

He had a great April and a very good June, but if you just ignore the OBP, he's looking at 3 terrible months so far this season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
You don't have your finger on the pulse of Sox fans either.

well, i go to lots of sox games, lived in bridgeport for a number of years, know tons of sox fans... none of them like bonds. I'm actually suprised 15% in the Comcast poll wanted him.

however, i am not a bonds hater, i just don't think he fits in with the kind of team the sox want next year. i think he's gonna start having major declines in performance, his body is really giving out (he even says so). I would rather get Rowand back or look at other options. The slow, bad defense, softball-like lineup just isn't a good formula IMO

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
The same people voting in that poll are the same people who call into the post-game show and say that the reason we suck is because Podsednik and Erstad are hurt. Those same people would be cheering for Bonds as he's getting on-base every other at-bat and the Sox are in first place next season.

I don't think you will find many "baseball guys" that will say bonds is a good fit for the White Sox.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:44 PM)
He had a great April and a very good June, but if you just ignore the OBP, he's looking at 3 terrible months so far this season.

Haha.

Well, if you ignore looking at 'win total', the 2005 White Sox sucked balls.

I don't even think it's a guarantee Bonds will play next year, so this entire discussion may be a moot point anyways.

Anyways, Vandy, I really just look at the effect Gary Sheffield - who is under the same media and federal scrutiny Bonds is under, but has been dumb enough to actually talk about it publically - has done for Detroit. He's not a world class citizen, in fact quite the opposite, but he's a hell of a hitter and without him, I severely doubt the Tigers are anywhere near as good as they have been this year.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Are any of those players under investigation by the feds? Do any of those players have multiple books written about them with very specific information in it? How are those players perceived by the media? Are any of them viewed as badly as him? There couldn't be a reason for that, could there? Where there is smoke, there is fire.

there would be investigations behind them if they had accomplished 20% of what bonds has in his career, because they have not broken records, there won't be any federal investigations on their part, it's that simple

the only reason barry is being investigated by the federal government, is because he's breaking very important records, and he's breaking them because he's an amazing hitter

you can look at numerous players who've used PED's, and none of them have accomplished what barry has, that's a testament to his skill, not the drug's he supposedly used

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
no offense, but some kid from Naperville doesn't really have his "finger on the pulse" of sox fans. Sox fans DO NOT want him, trust me on that.

What does that have to do with anything? I guess attending some 50-60 games I would have no clue what Sox fans think.

And it really doesn't matter if people want him, you cannot argue the fact that people pay to see Barry Bonds play, period.