Miguel Tejada?

Linnwood

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any trade with the O's would have to be someone on the 40 man roster the clears waivers or someone not on the 40 man roster.

Any player can be put on waivers by his team, and the player does not need to be informed.

Other teams have the chance to make a claim on the player during a 47 hour window.

If the player is claimed, the team that placed him on waivers has the option of pulling him back. If the team pulls him back they can't trade him for 30 days.

If his team decides not to pull him back:

Option 1: His team can work out a trade with the team that claimed him. Any player involved in the trade who is on a 40 man roster must go through waivers first.

Option 2: His team can just dump him and his salary on the team that claimed him, getting no player in return.

Option 3: No one claims him, and his team is free to trade him to any team.

If more than one team places a claim on a player, the winning claim is awarded based on worst record or the league the claiming team is in.

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Tejada at Shortstop for the Sox :notworthy

I wonder what the O's wanted in return?

I would think it would have been Danks. Or centered around Danks. I would love Tejada on this team, but it's not that important.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
I would think it would have been Danks. Or centered around Danks. I would love Tejada on this team, but it's not that important.

As stated earlier in the thread, anyone else involved (who was on the 40-man roster) in the trade would have had to clear waivers.

Danks would have been claimed by every team in baseball.

The Sox have about 4 valuable non-protected players. Gio, Egbert, DLS, Carter

The thing is with the O's so bad, you really don't have to pass guys too far down waivers so a deal could have probably been consumated that potentially even involved major league pieces on the Sox end.

I'd like Tejada because he's an upgrade and a legit bat at a tough position. Of course I think there are better option but for the right price I'd definitely approve of a deal (one that involved the Sox giving up some major leaguers as opposed to any top notch prospects).

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Why in the world would anyone want him here?

He'd be a big Up-Grade from what we now have at Shortstop, at least on offense. .287 career hitter who averages about 28 homers a season. The biggest draw back is the over $13m he makes a year.

The main thing this tells us is Williams and Guillen were telling the truth when they said they plan on competing/contending in 2008. No rebuilding. Otherwise, why claim Tejada. Even though it didn't work out, to me this is a good sign, the White Sox are trying to land top players.

QUOTE(Jim Spencer @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
He'd be a big Up-Grade from what we now have at Shortstop, at least on offense. .287 career hitter who averages about 28 homers a season. The biggest draw back is the over $13m he makes a year.

The huge salary and the young talent it would take to acquire him I doubt the Orioles would want any Sox player that cleared waivers, they'd be setting their sights on the only young talent that remains in the Sox's minor league system. Trading youth for 31+ year old, slow, expensive poor defensive players is not going to get this organization back to where it needs to be.

Besides, I doubt the Sox tried very hard to acquire him.