Miguel Tejada?

Linnwood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
I get all the waivers rules and everything except for one thing, what prevents a team(we'll say in this case a weaker team) from just claiming every single player on waivers to prevent any trades working out?

1.) That GM is going to have a hell of a time working out a deal with any other GM after doing something like that, he'd piss off an awful lot of people. 2.) If say, the D-Rays claimed every player put on waivers, Jose Contreras would be on a flight to Tampa right now and the Rays would be just a wee bit f***ed financially.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
1.) That GM is going to have a hell of a time working out a deal with any other GM after doing something like that, he'd piss off an awful lot of people. 2.) If say, the D-Rays claimed every player put on waivers, Jose Contreras would be on a flight to Tampa right now and the Rays would be just a wee bit f***ed financially.

I don't get the Jose part. So if a team claims a player, in this case Jose and the DRays, the White Sox can just say have him, and the DRays would have to pay the rest of his contract?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)
I don't get the Jose part. So if a team claims a player, in this case Jose and the DRays, the White Sox can just say have him, and the DRays would have to pay the rest of his contract?

Yeah, that's the dump rule for you. Of course we would get nothing in return(Not complaining if it were this exact instance).

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
Yeah, that's the dump rule for you. Of course we would get nothing in return(Not complaining if it were this exact instance).

WOW I did not know that, thank you for clearing that up for me. :cheers

I get all the waivers rules and everything except for one thing, what prevents a team(we'll say in this case a weaker team) from just claiming every single player on waivers to prevent any trades working out?

The problem is the possiblility of claiming someone with an undesirable contract and the his team says fine just take him. You would be on the hook for the balance of the contract. The White Sox claiming Tejada is because they wanted him. Not to block him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)
The problem is the possiblility of claiming someone with an undesirable contract and the his team says fine just take him. You would be on the hook for the balance of the contract. The White Sox claiming Tejada is because they wanted him. Not to block him.

The White Sox have been after Miggy for a long time. Why do some posters let it slide that he will never play for this team? What's that all about?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Maybe this is a sign that the White Sox have decided to further increase their payroll this off-season to get this team back into contention ?

Won't happen. If it increases, it will increase marginally.

All this tells me is that come the offseason, one of Vazquez and Garland will go and KW is going to bust his ass to get rid of Contreras while taking on as little salary as possible. Gavin's good performance - along with potential more good performances from Gavin - will further prove that to be true.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)

All this tells me is that come the offseason, one of Vazquez and Garland will go and KW is going to bust his ass to get rid of Contreras while taking on as little salary as possible. Gavin's good performance - along with potential more good performances from Gavin - will further prove that to be true.

Yes that.

A rotation of

Buehrle

Vaz/Garland

Danks

Floyd

FA/Egbert/Masset/Sisco/Broadway/Gio/wite

Isn't there one more rule on the waiver trade. Let us say whoever the sox decide to trade back to Baltimore for Miggy must go through waivers also. Like if the sox decided to send Pods back for Miggy any other team with a worse 06 record than the Os could claim pods. the sox would have to pull back Pods and the whole deal would be off. Am I wrong about this ?

QUOTE(forrestg @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 11:58 PM)
Isn't there one more rule on the waiver trade. Let us say whoever the sox decide to trade back to Baltimore for Miggy must go through waivers also. Like if the sox decided to send Pods back for Miggy any other team with a worse 06 record than the Os could claim pods. the sox would have to pull back Pods and the whole deal would be off. Am I wrong about this ?

Yes, read my post on the first page about thr waiver rules. Any player must clear waivers before they can be traded to whoever that is on the 40 man roster.

If you claim someone, you have to have a 40 man roster spot for them. Also I believe you can only claim something like 3 people a day, but I am not positive about that.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 09:57 PM)

The Sox wanted him, there is no doubt about it. The Sox are looking to contend in 2008, not rebuild.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
He still will go back through waivers again. And most likely we will claim him again right? The sox could use Miggy's energy, leadership and bat IMO.

im pretty sure if you are taken off waivers you can't be placed back on....so tejada will be an O until the offseason for sure

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)

I'm sorry, but I have to say...there are exactly 2 pitchers I am certain will be on the White Sox next year. Mark Buehrle, and Jose Contreras. For the simple reason that both of them are entirely unmovable. Mark because of his no trade clause, Jose because it's just stupid for the Sox to pay 1/2 of his contract to move him.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Why in the world would anyone want him here?

because he's f***ing amazing? Did I miss something where 31 year old shortstops who regularly put up MVP type numbers (and is only having a injury issues this year, yet still hitting .300) are not welcome on the team?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 6, 2007 -> 01:08 PM)
because he's f***ing amazing? Did I miss something where 31 year old shortstops who regularly put up MVP type numbers (and is only having a injury issues this year, yet still hitting .300) are not welcome on the team?

And is a notoriously good leader and high energy player. This guy would thrive on a team with the talent we have around him. Could you imagine him in this lineup?

I dont even know where to bat him.

1. Owens

2. Fields?

3. Thome

4. Konerko

5. Tejada

6. Dye

7. AJP

8. Sweeney

9. Richar