Eric Byrnes off the market

CanOfCorn

i guess they will keep on OF of brynes young and upton...i guess they have really soured on carlos quentin and dont think jackson will cut it in the OF...but even with that cluster jam you have carlos gonzalez not too far off....maybe they will try to move upton back to the IF ?

While I'd have loved to seen Byrnes on the Sox (I wanted that post Rowand)...I think it's a tad much. I actually think this was somewhat of a PR move by Arizona as well. He's easily their most popular player as well as one of the most productive. Their PR move of bringing back Randy Johnson didn't work out to well...and they caught a boatload of public crap for the handling of Luis Gonzalez. Crowded outfield.

With Ichiru and Byrnes signing to deals, its looking more and more as if the Sox are going to re-sign Rowand. Lets face it, they are not going to spend the big cash on Hunter or Andruw Jones. Its most likely going to be an OF of Dye, Rowand and Owens. Or Dye, Owens and Fields while Crede remains the 3B.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
With Ichiru and Byrnes signing to deals, its looking more and more as if the Sox are going to re-sign Rowand. Lets face it, they are not going to spend the big cash on Hunter or Andruw Jones. Its most likely going to be an OF of Dye, Rowand and Owens. Or Dye, Owens and Fields while Crede remains the 3B.

I eat Cheeriu's in the morning.

And this move has absolutely no effect on Aaron Rowand and the White Sox. It has a slight effect on the White Sox, and a bigger effect on Rowand, but not the two together. Please, don't think it does.

It's also funny to see how some people think he is getting overpaid, when really this is a below market contract. He really probably could have gotten atleast 5 years from a team, and perhaps somewhere around $11-12 mill per. Still, all things considered this is probably a solid move by the DBacks.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 8, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
They have some serious young talent on that team.

Which might be why they want to spend the money to hold onto one or two of their popular, veteran, ballplayers who seem to both be good people and who are putting up good numbers. Especially if they give the team a discount.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(iamshack @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
Surprised they would do this with all those outfielders they have coming up.

It was all PR. The owners read how much the average Joe fan liked Byrnes so they undercut the GM Josh Byrnes and made this deal.