Cubs claim Podsednik; Pods still here (for now)

Linnwood

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
:o

This will be the first and last time we ever see these words on Soxtalk from Steff.

:lolhitting

Oh give it a rest, Francis. Just last week I was wrong about something else and admitted it. :P

Many here aren't half that big.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
OK, so Murton probably isn't an option here.

In the end, does anyone think we'd bring in a viable major league player for Pods? We got low A-ball players (one old) for Mack and Gooch. I fully expect to bring in something similiar there.

These ideas of getting Murton or Cedeno are ridiculous in light of the fact we didn't get jackcrap for the other guys and Pods isn't exactly the greatest player who ever laced them up.

Well Podsedink is considered somewhat talented and does have another fairly affordable season of arbitration left so I guess he should have some sort of value if you really stretch his worth to the point of lunacy.

Kenny is apparently looking for "a decent pitching or infield prospect" according to Levine.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
If they get a low A player who is younger then 25, I would consider this to be good. People are just speculating since the Cubs are in a semi-panic with Soriano down that maybe the Sox could get a better player. I'd like a position player...

I think the Cubs are in FULL panic mode. This is their best post season shot in a long time. I think they will give something more than a bag of balls and justify it with Pods post-season experience.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Well Podsedink is considered somewhat talented and does have another fairly affordable season of arbitration left so I guess he should have some sort of value if you really stretch his worth to the point of lunacy.

Kenny is apparently looking for "a decent pitching or infield prospect" according to Levine.

Haha...I am satisfied with the infield or p prospect. We could really use a SS. I don't think we have a single SS in our entire system of any real worth. It's likely our most baron position.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
I think the Cubs are in FULL panic mode. This is their best post season shot in a long time. I think they will give something more than a bag of balls and justify it with Pods post-season experience.

I hope your right... but I won't me pissed if we get nothing in return. This thread makes me laugh since a friend of mine(Cubs fan) called me yesterday and said something along the lines of, "Dude, I just read we are looking to get Pods!!" He was happy... made me laugh.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
Oh give it a rest, Francis. Just last week I was wrong about something else and admitted it. :P

Many here aren't half that big.

Francis?

:unsure:

I didn't see that one, so I had to really make a big deal of it, you know.

Back to Pods - anything you can get for him is fine at this point. With the Cubs willing to probably overpay a bit, it's good to get something for him, if the Sox can.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I hope your right... but I won't me pissed if we get nothing in return. This thread makes me laugh since a friend of mine(Cubs fan) called me yesterday and said something along the lines of, "Dude, I just read we are looking to get Pods!!" He was happy... made me laugh.

LOl, I just asked my die-hard Cubs fan best friend if he heard the news, and he replies, "Yeah" before he gave me a look like he wanted to kill me. Good luck with that experiment, but I could actually see the Cubs benefitting from Pods right now. He could be very effective for them at the top of the order.

Exactly - the arbitration year being affordable is a key point and increases Podsednik's value. Nothing saying the Cubs couldn't sign him to a one year deal for 2008 and flip him in spring training for another asset. This is exactly why Williams should hold out for more than just the proverbial bag of balls.

Yes, absolutely. The only team in fuller panic mode might be a few NL West teams and the Brewers.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)

Thats okay, Marc Silverman of ESPN 1000 was talking about how they would move Pods over to centerfield, when Soriano comes back.

That just made me think, Soriano in Left, Pods in Center, Jones in RF. Possibly the worst defensive OF that has ever been assembled in the history of baseball.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Yes, absolutely. The only team in fuller panic mode might be a few NL West teams and the Brewers.

I understand the "long term value" (only for contract reasons) for Podsednik, but at some point, take what you can get, as long as it isn't clear stupid.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 10:00 AM)
I understand the "long term value" (only for contract reasons) for Podsednik, but at some point, take what you can get, as long as it isn't clear stupid.

Ummm.. we are talking about the Cubs here. :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
When it comes to Podsednik to the Cubs I want something for him. If we're going to be helping out a desperate team trying to make a playoff push I want something of value in return. If the Cubs want to give up Single-A fodder then hold onto Podsednik and non-tender him at season's end. I'm not just going to give him away to a desperate playoff contender.

I completely agree. Not only that, but the Sox have absolutely no incentive to help a rival in their media market.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
Francis?

:unsure:

I didn't see that one, so I had to really make a big deal of it, you know.

Back to Pods - anything you can get for him is fine at this point. With the Cubs willing to probably overpay a bit, it's good to get something for him, if the Sox can.

Francis I believe is a reference from the Bill Murray , John Candy comedy "Stripes" > A Bill Murray classic .

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Francis I believe is a reference from the Bill Murray , John Candy comedy "Stripes" > A Bill Murray classic .

Thank you. Kap, it seems, is a bit slow on the sarcasm trigger today. :lolhitting

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 10, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
The sox will and should trade Pods. The sox won't offer him arb. on the off chance he accepts, so they'd let him walk anyway. They would be getting something of value for him now at least.

Pods would have no say in the matter, he'll only have 5 years of service time by season's end so if the Sox offered him arb he'd have to accept it. He's not a free agent until after next season.