Draft Deadline Thread

danman31

The deadline is 10:59 central tonight to sign draft picks. The Sox have 10th rounder Brian Guinn, HS SS, and 11th rounder Jordan Kendall, JC OF, left unsigned among the higher picks. It doesn't seem likely the Sox will go over the slotted amount.

As for the rest of the league, David Price signed for a 6-year big league deal just recently and there are still five first round picks unsigned. They are 2 (Mike Moustakas, Royals) and 3 (Josh Vitters, Cubs) overall; No. 5 pick Matt Wieters (Orioles), No. 9 (Jarrod Parker, Diamondbacks), and 12 (Matt Dominguez, Marlins).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 05:07 PM)
The deadline is 10:59 central tonight to sign draft picks. The Sox have 10th rounder Brian Guinn, HS SS, and 11th rounder Jordan Kendall, JC OF, left unsigned among the higher picks. It doesn't seem likely the Sox will go over the slotted amount.

As for the rest of the league, David Price signed for a 6-year big league deal just recently and there are still five first round picks unsigned. They are 2 (Mike Moustakas, Royals) and 3 (Josh Vitters, Cubs) overall; No. 5 pick Matt Wieters (Orioles), No. 9 (Jarrod Parker, Diamondbacks), and 12 (Matt Dominguez, Marlins).

Of course. Wouldn't want to pay a few extra thousand dollars and risk virtually nothing from major league baseball but a simple phone call. Not like our farm system could use an additional shortstop or outfielder.

The Marlins have signed California high school third baseman Matt Dominguez, the 12th overall pick, for $1.8 million. His draft slot was $1.62 million, while his bonus represents the 2006 slot figure.

Do I understand this correctly -- if any of the remaining teams are unable to sign their first selection, they're guaranteed the same spot next season minus one slot?

What I want to know is, if the Royals are the worst team in baseball concluding this season, would the first and third selection for next season's draft be guaranteed for them? If this is true, then it's really going to effect our draft position. We could potentially have the third worst record and not pick until seventh.

Whatever the process, it's better for everyone if every player signs. Although it would make perfect sense if the one season where we're in position to draft in the top 10 is the one we're screwed somehow.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 16, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
Do I understand this correctly -- if any of the remaining teams are unable to sign their first selection, they're guaranteed the same spot next season minus one slot?

What I want to know is, if the Royals are the worst team in baseball concluding this season, would the first and third selection for next season's draft be guaranteed for them? If this is true, then it's really going to effect our draft position. We could potentially have the third worst record and not pick until seventh.

Whatever the process, it's better for everyone if every player signs. Although it would make sense that the one season where we're in position to draft in the top 10 we're screwed somehow.

Yes, I believe you are correct that the Royals would have those high picks.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)

Whatever the process, it's better for everyone if every player signs. Although it would make sense that the one season where we're in position to draft in the top 10 we're screwed somehow.

Yes, if the Royals can not sign their guy, they would get the #3 pick next year. However, that would not be the case next year; you can't carry the pick over 2 years in a row, so the Royals would have to take someone they thought they could sign in that slot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
Sounds like everyone but Wieters has signed.

He signed as well. Wieters and Moustakas sounded like the biggest question marks, but both ended up signing. It was interesting to see how the deadline worked. Usually it's only 1 or 2 Boras clients that take it to the last week, but there were a lot of guys still up to be signed.