Senator Larry Craig convicted of lewd conduct in men's bathroom

Balta1701

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 2, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)
It might stop being a story if he didn't keep yelling about being "set up."

damn those undercover cops and their sexy argyle socks...they friggin' turn me on like a light switch.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
As I read it, Tex is defending him, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't speak Texan.

And as far as I see it, Alpha was, too. 'Why should he have been arrested.' Give me a break. Sexual harassment, violation of privacy, harassment and being a stupid, stupid man are all reasons.

And Northside? You too fune!

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Aug 30, 2007 -> 01:04 PM)
Prior to this thread, i would have handed him some tp.

I was wondering what was illegal in his actions. Would you also be arrested for taping your foot too close to someone in the stands at the Cell?

Strip away meaning because that is ambiguous, he placed his foot too close and waved his hand under the stall. If Gays decided that cheering loudly during the National Anthem was a signal for gay sex, would everyone at a Hawks game get arrested?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
I was wondering what was illegal in his actions. Would you also be arrested for taping your foot too close to someone in the stands at the Cell?

In my 33 years of existence I recall tapping another guy's foot underneath the stall divider in a rest room and then waving my hand under their divider a total of zero times.

I understand that on paper those 2 actions seem pretty harmless but when you couple that with an increase in gay sex in men's bathrooms and that these 2 actions are what initiate the sex than there's the problem.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
In my 33 years of existence I recall tapping another guy's foot underneath the stall divider in a rest room and then waving my hand under their divider a total of zero times.

I understand that on paper those 2 actions seem pretty harmless but when you couple that with an increase in gay sex in men's bathrooms and that these 2 actions are what initiate the sex than there's the problem.

I understand that ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, but as noted here, no one knew that was a "signal" so you would not know it is illegal to tap youir foot and reach under a stall. Remember, he did not engage in a sex act, nor did he make a verbal offer. His crime was tapping his foot and reaching under the stall.

I believe the officer should have made the suspect clearly solicate, just like on COPS with prostitution stings. Just having a prostitute walk up to your car doesn't get you busted. The parallel I would draw is stopping near a hooker would get you busted.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
I understand that ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, but as noted here, no one knew that was a "signal" so you would not know it is illegal to tap youir foot and reach under a stall. Remember, he did not engage in a sex act, nor did he make a verbal offer. His crime was tapping his foot and reaching under the stall.

I believe the officer should have made the suspect clearly solicate, just like on COPS with prostitution stings. Just having a prostitute walk up to your car doesn't get you busted. The parallel I would draw is stopping near a hooker would get you busted.

Let's be clear here. He tapped his foot multiple times, reached his foot under the stall, touched the officers foot, waved under the stall multiple times, and stared through the crack if the door. There is nothing accidental or provoked in that litany of actions. This wasn't just needing TP, or just having a "wide stance".

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)

The hand signals and behavior before he entered the stall(hanging around looking inside) and after he entered the stall(propping his luggage against the door, tapping the foot, waving the hand) indicate interest according to the police who have to bust people for that in the airport. I could understand if he tapped the officers foot and they busted him, but thats not what happened. Craig went above and beyond tapping the foot, he gave as many signals as possible without actually saying he was interested.

I dont equate this as having a hooker near your car. I equate this with trying to wave a hooker over to your car while making a BJ motion at the same time.

...I believe the officer should have made the suspect clearly solicate, just like on COPS with prostitution stings. Just having a prostitute walk up to your car doesn't get you busted. The parallel I would draw is stopping near a hooker would get you busted.

The difference in this sort of behavior, is that some sort of payment is received in prostitution., whereas here, you just have the equivalent of the age-old "Hey, baby, are you looking for a good time?" When it is expressed in all of its multitudinous manifestations of males toward females in public, it is usually considered normal behavior. Women put up with far worse throughout their lives when they venture out in public. If they were to request that the police arrest guys they didn't know who stared at them long and suggestively, made hand and finger gestures, and got up close to them and tapped their feet - well, they'd be laughed at.

It seems as though this thread has moved on to the question, should asking for sex in public be a crime? Surely no one here doubts what Larry was doing there, despite his protestations.

QUOTE(Wide-Stance Gal @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
The difference in this sort of behavior, is that some sort of payment is received in prostitution., whereas here, you just have the equivalent of the age-old "Hey, baby, are you looking for a good time?" When it is expressed in all of its multitudinous manifestations of males toward females in public, it is usually considered normal behavior. Women put up with far worse throughout their lives when they venture out in public. If they were to request that the police arrest guys they didn't know who stared at them long and suggestively, made hand and finger gestures, and got up close to them and tapped their feet - well, they'd be laughed at.

It seems as though this thread has moved on to the question, should asking for sex in public be a crime? Surely no one here doubts what Larry was doing there, despite his protestations.

Great points.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
Great points.

Asking for sex in public is different than having sex in public. You don't solicit someone through a wall in a toilet stall if you plan to go to a hotel room. He was soliciting to have sex in the toilet stall. And that's what's illegal about it.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Asking for sex in public is different than having sex in public. You don't solicit someone through a wall in a toilet stall if you plan to go to a hotel room. He was soliciting to have sex in the toilet stall. And that's what's illegal about it.

So any guy who asks some girl for a trip to the backseat of his car should be busted? And IIRC solicitation wouuld be for cash, was that part of the "signal"?

I wonder how many of these are thrown out when they go to court? Kind of like the "Catch a Predator" show where something like 80 or 90% walked.

Cop: "Senator from where?"

Craig: "Idaho"

Cop: "Was that a confession as well?"

Craig: "Huh?"

Cop: "You just said you are a whore . . . ?"

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Sep 4, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
Keep your day job, tex. Age must be messin' with your funny bone.

sleep deprivation. lol

btw, he now is hinting he may withdraw his resignation if cleared of the charges he pled guilty to

Here is my idea :sweep:

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
How on earth would he be cleared of the charges he already pled guilty to?

The only thing I can think of is he is going to say that he pled under duress or something like that. The more this guy talks, the stupider he sounds. He just needs to go away now.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 5, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
The only thing I can think of is he is going to say that he pled under duress or something like that. The more this guy talks, the stupider he sounds. He just needs to go away now.

pled under duress? I have seen arguments made about statements or confessions under duress, but we are talking here about pleading to a charge in front of a judge, some period of time after the arrest. I have never heard of someone challenging a plea agreement under those circumstances. Has anyone else?