White Sox Fall/Winter League Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

Some leagues (Hawaii - Inouye playing) have already begune. Arizona Fall League (7 Sox players on the Phoenix Desert Dogs) starts Tuesday, October 9th. Various Mexican and Caribbean leagues get underway shortly (a handful more Sox players/prospects).

So here is a thread to discuss the results, the players, and their futures. Lots of players are being watched closely. Enjoy...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll attempt a list here of players and their teams/leagues, but please feel free to add anyone I miss. League name links take you to today's scoreboard for that league, and the team name links take you to player stats for that team...

ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE (runs through 11/15)

Phoenix Desert Dogs

Jack Egbert, SP

Dewon Day, RP

Fernando Hernandez, RP

Adam Russell, RP/SP

Donny Lucy, C

Chris Getz, 2B

Ryan Sweeney, OF

HAWAII WINTER LEAGUE (runs through 11/18)

Waikiki Beach Boys

Matt Inouye, C

Honolulu Sharks

Kanekoa Texiera, RP

MEXICAN LEAGUE (runs through 12/30)

Caneros de los Mochis

Jason Bourgeois, IF

Heath Philips, SP

Aguilas de Mexicali

Brian Anderson, OF

***Team ??? TBA

Andrew Sisco, SP/RP

DOMINICAN LEAGUE (runs through 12/22)

Estrellas de Oriente

Francisco Hernandez, C

Pablo Ozuna IF/OF

Gigantes del Cibao (fun side note: this team has an Elvis Hernandez and a Runelvys Hernandez)

Paulino Reynoso, RP

Eduardo Sierra, RP

Noe Rodriguez, RP

Tigres del Licey

Oneli Perez, RP

Victor Mercedes, SS

Ricardo Nanita, OF

Azucareros del Este

Danny Richar, 2B

Leones del Escogido

Juan Uribe, SS

VENEZUELAN LEAGUE (runs through 12/30)

Tiburones de la Guaira

Ehren Wassermann, RP

Jose Martinez, OF

Caribes de Oriente

Carlos Vasquez, RP

Matt Inouye was 1-4, 2B, R, RBI for the Waikiki BeachBoys.

Egbert started for Phoenix and went 2 innings, allowing 1 H, 1 BB and fanning 1. Seven pitchers combined for a 1-0 win.

Each team only managed 3 hits.

Getz was 0-3 with 2 Ks. Sweeney pinch hit and fanned on a foul tip.

Lucy was also 0-3 with 2 Ks.

Note: The box score has Sweeney pinch-hitting but with no official AB. The game wrap says he fanned. :huh

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Phoenix won 7-5. Adam Russell threw 2 scoreless innings, allowing 1 hit, 1 walk and fanning 1.

Ryan Sweeney went 1-4, scored 1 with 1 rbi. He fanned twice.

In the Mexican League, Bourgeois went 2-4 (singles) with 1 R, 2 RBI.

In a Hawaiin League game still in progress, Matt Inouye has gone 0-3 with 1 rbi.

This is interesting reads thanks. One thing I never knew was the Hawaii Winter Leagues. How can someone find out more about that? You would think teams would use USA baseball leagues more. I can see the lure of Latin American baseball for Latin players, who are home during the winter, but Gringos it would seem would be more comfortable in the USA environment.

The sox prospects are off to a nice start in Arizona. The four pitchers have gone a combined scoreless 8 2/3 innings. And Ryan Sweeney is 4 for 10, hitting third and playing LF. If Sweeney is healthy, I could see him in the mix for LF--esp. if the sox can get a proven CFer.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
The sox prospects are off to a nice start in Arizona. The four pitchers have gone a combined scoreless 8 2/3 innings. And Ryan Sweeney is 4 for 10, hitting third and playing LF. If Sweeney is healthy, I could see him in the mix for LF--esp. if the sox can get a proven CFer.

I'm hoping he does well, boosts his trade value, and then is used in a package to get someone that can help the team next year.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
Surprise beats Phoenix 5-4. Sox players:

Lucy: 0-3, BB (defensively: 1 SB, 1 CS against)

Hernandez: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K

Mexican League - Mochis plays tonight.

Hawaiian League - Waikiki plays tonight.

Waikiki fell to Honolulu, 10-3. Inouye DH'd, went 0-2.

Mochis beat up Navojoe 9-4. Bourgeois went 2-5, 2 R, RBI, SB - leading off and playing CF. He is hitting .313 so far with a .421 OBP and 4 SB's in his 4 games.

---

Today...

AFL is off, no games.

Waikiki plays HON again tonight at 6:30pm Hawaiian time (which I think is 9:30pm Chicago).

Mochis is underway.

Bourgeois scored the winning run in a 14 inning game today. He went 2-5 again and walked twice. He scored twice and stole his 5th base.

The game in Hawaii has started and Inouye isn't in the lineup.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
Bourgeois scored the winning run in a 14 inning game today. He went 2-5 again and walked twice. He scored twice and stole his 5th base.

The game in Hawaii still hasn't started.

And I still can't believe we didn't take a look at him in September instead of seeing the Andy freakin Gonzalez fiasco.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
It's cases like this that I really feel like the organization is asleep at the wheel. This situation, along with not Hall surgery issue are puzzling. The Sox were out of the race by mid July. Why did Toby not have his surgery then? Has he even had it yet?

Rehab was done instead of the surgery and he was supposed to be able to heal his arm through rehab. Last I knew he was not planning on ever under-going the surgery and consistent rehab should eventually get him back (in fact I think he was pretty healthy late this season...not that his statitistics would indicate such) to 100% (or close to 100%).

I know Pedro opted to rehab a couple different times as opposed to having surgery. Pedro's brother Ramon Martinez did such a couple times as well and while those are both examples of pitchers following a plan of rehab/restrengthening as opposed to surgery there are even more position type players that took similar paths (since they don't put near as much stress on there shoulders on a consistent basis).

Bottom line Hall is the type of guy you'd get rid of if you can. Unfortunately they won't get anyone to take his contract cause I'd prefer having a defensive stud like Molina backing up AJ.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
It's cases like this that I really feel like the organization is asleep at the wheel. This situation, along with not Hall surgery issue are puzzling. The Sox were out of the race by mid July. Why did Toby not have his surgery then? Has he even had it yet?

The Hall thing I get, for some of the same reasons that Chisoxfn mentions. But I agree on Bourgeois. I just don't get it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 06:00 PM)
I say just release Hall and sign Molina.

If all you want is defense, just call up Lucy and save a few mill. But I'd prefer the team has someone who can hit a bit too.

Also, Hall is still under contract, so its unlikely they'll release him. Possible, but unlikely. Also also, Hall's career line indicates that 2007 was not normal.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
If all you want is defense, just call up Lucy and save a few mill. But I'd prefer the team has someone who can hit a bit too.

Also, Hall is still under contract, so its unlikely they'll release him. Possible, but unlikely. Also also, Hall's career line indicates that 2007 was not normal.

I don't know if he changed something or what, but his approach to the plate last year was pitiful... If he has the same approach next year, he ain't gonna out-produce anyone.

A bunch of Sox pitchers played today for Phoenix, but no position players...

Egbert: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 0 K (starter)

Day: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K

Russell: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K (got the win)

In Mexican League action, Mochis had the night off last night (and are still undefeated at 5-0). Tonight's game is just underway with Bourgeois starting in CF and leading off, and Mr. Heath Phillips on the mound for his second start in that league.

In Hawaii, Waikiki already played, but Inouye didn't.