White Sox Fall/Winter League Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a Sox prospect, but I thought Flash would appreciate this one from BA's prospect blog...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=624

Twins righthander Eduardo Morlan was by far the most impressive arm in a league that frankly doesn’t have a lot of them this year.

The 21-year-old topped out at 93 mph, but he’s toned down his delivery somewhat and showed the ability to command two plus pitches.

“He’s a big leaguer,” another scout from an AL club said. “Hands down the best guy I saw today. Just a heavy ball with sink that knew what he was doing up there in any situation. He had a plan. Nice, easy delivery that he repeats well with a toe-in finish. He has everything you look for in a guy with two power pitches. His slider gives him the chance to pitch in the big leagues right now if he can command the fastball.”

So when you find yourself thinking "where did they find this guy" when he's called up in June, now you know.

QUOTE(scenario @ Oct 16, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
I scanned the rosters for Venezuelan League teams and saw Carlos Vazquez and Ehren Wasserman listed. Vazquez has pitched in one game already, but I didn't see any stats for Wasserman yet.

Thanks for the info! More detail... Vasquez is playing for Caribes de Oriente, and Wassermann and Jose Martinez (Bristol) are both on Tiburones de la Guaira. I had remembered Wassermann saying he volunteered to pitch this winter, but I didn't know about Vazquez or Martinez. Those rosters are so huge, I am not sure how much time they will get.

Also of Sox-related note, Wiki Gonzalez is playing for Cardenales de Lara, Gustavo Molina is playing for Navegantes del Magallenas, and Hideo Nomo is pitching for Leonas de Caracas. There are a bunch of big name players from all over MLB, too.

Mochis lost their first game last night in 11 innings. Phillips pitched well but ran into trouble in the 6th.

Phillips: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HR. He left the game with the lead.

Bourgeois: 0-4

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
So what does a guy like Wasserman work on in winter ball? Are they going to try to get him innings, or work on a new pitch?

Oddly enough, if I recall correctly, I read somewhere it was his own idea, not the Sox'. I am not sure what he'd work on, really. Maybe he just feels like he didn't get enough innings in.

I have updated Post #2 in this thread with the Dominican and Venezuelan players from the organization. I also added links for each league's scoreboard and each team's player stats sheet.

The Sox have a LOT of people playing winter ball: 9 in the Dominican League, 7 in the AFL, 4 in the Mexican League, 3 in the Venezuelan League and 1 in Hawaii for a total of 24. They include both major leaguers and minor leaguers from many levels.

Using those nifty links, today's results and games...

In Arizona, for the Desert Dogs...

Sweeney: 1-3, BB, R

Lucy: 0-4, K (not doing well so far with the bat)

Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 K and a bunch of zeroes

In Hawaii for the Beach Boys...

Inouye: 2-3 (DH'ing today, hitting .375 so far down there)

Mexican, Dominican and Venezuelan all play tonight.

Mochis won 5-0.

Bourgeois(.345): 3-4, 2 R, 3B, 2 RBI, BB

:gosox4:

I was interested to know where Mochis is so I googled it.

Los Mochis is a coastal city in northern Sinaloa, Mexico. Today the Pacífico Norte irrigation region (Sinaloa-Sonora) in which the "Valle del Fuerte" is the largest district and is the principal agricultural area of Mexico, containing over 70% of all irrigated land and producing sugar cane, cotton, rice, flowers, and many types of vegetables. The valley is one of the largest producers of mangoes in Mexico.

A popular activity among youth in Los Mochis is the "Leyvazo", wherein people park their cars or cruise along Leyva Boulevard in downtown Los Mochis ,and the "Riazo" that is even more popular than the "Leyvazo" where the people park their car to listen to music , talk , eat in the restaurants that are near there , or drink some kind of drink , some people just pass the street in their car with friends they call it " Dar el roll". People also gather for a drink or barbecue under "Los Álamos" which are poplar trees that line the highway to Topolobampo Bay. As well as these activities, many residents of the city enjoy visiting the nearby beach of El Maviri. Many people visit this semi-desert island to spend a day at the beach or enjoy the seafood delicacies.

Teddy Higuera, former Brewer pitcher is from Los Mochis.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 12:40 AM)
I was interested to know where Mochis is so I googled it.

I believe it is just south of the Copper Canyons area which is supposed to be amazing to see, and I hope to go there at some point...........to see Heath Phillips pitch.

One thing on Wasserman, I hope they don't give him a LOT of innings down there.

I compare him a lot to a poor man's Pat Neshek. He got really run down in the 2nd half of the season because he was used so much in the 1st half because he was that effective.

If the White Sox can't get some good relievers to help take the pressure of Ehren (if he pitches as well as he did this season) I'm afraid of this scenario taking place again if Guillen uses him a lot as his main 7th/8th inning guy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
So what does a guy like Wasserman work on in winter ball? Are they going to try to get him innings, or work on a new pitch?

I think that Wasserman views himself being on the fringe of making the team next spring, especially if the team goes out and gets a couple of relievers this winter (which they will).

And even though he performed pretty well during his time with the Sox, that's probably true. He's not a lock next year if they pick up two righty relievers this offseason.

Volunteering for winterball is likely his way of letting management know he's willing to do everything it takes to make the club.

Edited by scenario

Rotoworld:

Oneli Perez-R- White Sox Oct. 19 - 2:39 pm et

Oneli Perez was perfect for 1 1/3 innings to earn a save in his debut for Licey of the DWL.

Perez had a 2.10 ERA and 16 saves in 77 innings in Double-A this year. The White Sox, though, never gave him an opportunity, possibly because of how much Dewon Day struggled when he was promoted to the majors from Birmingham. With better command than Day, he appears to have a future as a setup man. However, he is likely to have problems with the home run ball.

Phoenix won today 3-1.

Russell and Day got holds and Fernando Hernandez got a Save. Day's hold was once again of the ugly variety.

Russell: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K

Day: 1 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 K

Hernandez .2 IP, 1 K

Getz: 1-3

Sweeney had the day off.

Waikiki hasn't started yet. Inouye isn't in the lineup.

Mochis is in progress, tied 1-1 in the 6th. Bourgeois: 1-3.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 20, 2007 -> 05:03 AM)
If the Sox think Oneli will have trouble keeping the ball in the yard, he might be a good candidate to package in a trade. He's posted good numbers but they may not translate well in the Cell.

Good point. I never really paid much attention to his groundball/flyball ratio before. He was .85 this year and .87 last year. That could be a problem in our park.

He does have very good control and strikeout numbers though. His K/BB ratio was better than anyone on the major league roster including Javy and Jenks. Would have been nice this year to have another bullpen pitcher who was more likely to throw strikes than walk people. :o

Phoenix had the day off.

Waikiki is in progress, Inouye not playing.

Mochis kept on rolling with a 7-2 victory.

Phillips: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K, and got the W.

Bourgeois (.340): 2-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, SB. He's been a very good leadoff hitter for Mochis.

Oneli Perez earned a Save with a perfect 9th inning (groundout, popout, groundout) as Licey won their game last night 1-0.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Currently watching Egbert implode, walking three straight. Up until that he was stout.

Egbert: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K (I wouldn't call that an implosion, but a sloppy outing anyway)

Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K (still no runs given up in AFL play)

Getz: 1-4, SB, R (.278)

Sweeney: 0-4, SF RBI, BB, 3 K (average dropped to .241)

Lucy: 0-2, BB, SB, K, E (throwing), 1 SB and 1 CS against (Lucy struggling badly at the plate, hitting .059 - not good)