White Sox Fall/Winter League Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

Phoenix lost to Team China, 2-1.

Russell: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 4 K

Day got the loss: 2 IP, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

Getz: 1-3, R, BB

Sweeney: 1-3, BB

Sweeney played in a night game also and knocked in the winning run in the 10th inning as the East Rising Stars beat the West Rising Stars, 3-2.

Egbert: 1 IP, 1 BB, 1 K

Sweeney: 1-2, RBI

Lucy: 0-2

:gosoxretro:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
It's a shame Sweeney is continuing to suck, as I know the Sox were hoping he'd play well this offseason so they could trade him.

That would be pointless. Trade him for what? Why trade him at a low point?

Don't get me wrong, if he could get something of value, or help to do so, great. But do you think that was likely?

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
It's a shame Sweeney is continuing to suck, as I know the Sox were hoping he'd play well this offseason so they could trade him.

Not sure why people get so wound up about a 22 year old's AAA stats. Consider that if Sweeney was in AA right now, he'd be the youngest player on the Barons. If he was at Winston-Salem (high A-ball) there would only be 4 players on that roster younger than him. So... developmentally he is playing two levels above his age and competing very well. With that type of talent, I think we can afford to give him more time.

Also... Just for fun go look up Grady Sizemore's minor league stats. Not much different than Sweeney's.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
Fernando Hernandez: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 1 K. This guy has been very good, 0.00 E.R.A.

I'm not so sure why he hasn't gotten more pub on this board. He'll probably start out the year next year in AAA and have IMO have a chance to make our big league pen by years end.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
Eggy is disappointing me lately. Maybe some innings are catching up to him.

I was wondering about that. He had a couple good outings, then his last couple he weakened a bit. Might be signs of fatigue. In any case, even with this outing, his numbers are still OK down there.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
Phoenix won yesterday, 12-5.

Good day for Sweeney (.250): 3-5, 2 R, RBI

Getz (.279): 1-5, R, 2 RBI

Lucy (.179): 2-4, R, RBI

Day (1.80): 1 IP, K

Hernandez (0.00): 1 IP, 2 K

Mochis lost, Bourgeois (.287): 1-4

Seems like the Sox' pitchers are doing pretty darn well down there in the AFL, especially in what are considered hitters' parks. That's a positive.

Lucy is 4 for his last 11, after starting 1 for 17. I guess that's an improvement, but we'll see if he can keep it up.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
Lucy is 4 for his last 11, after starting 1 for 17. I guess that's an improvement, but we'll see if he can keep it up.

I hope Lucy can keep it up... since the AFL is supposedly somewhere between a AA and AAA competition level.

I'd love to see him to start hitting like he did in his final year at Stanford (.900 OPS), rather than continuing to hit like he did in his first two years at Stanford (.750 OPS).

I'd hate to think his final year at Stanford was a career year for him offensively... right before we drafted him.

Edited by scenario

I like Lucy. Plays very good defensively, and I'd be nice to see him put together a very good offensive year at Charlotte in 08. He probably won't be anything more then a backup, but hopefully he can be able to hit lefties decently so he could make a nice platoon option at least.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 05:12 PM)
I like Lucy. Plays very good defensively, and I'd be nice to see him put together a very good offensive year at Charlotte in 08. He probably won't be anything more then a backup, but hopefully he can be able to hit lefties decently so he could make a nice platoon option at least.

He needs to start looking decent in AFL ball, and he needs to put up offensive numbers at Charlotte similar to those he did at B-Ham (or better). Something like a .260-.270 avg with a little power, added to his plus defense, and he's ready at that point to take Hall's spot.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Fernando Hernandez has come a long way for a 49th round draft pick. Our AAA bullpen looks pretty good with Onelli Perez, Fernando Hernandez, Dewon Day, Adam Russell, Carlos Vasquez, and a couple of others.

That's great news because we'll more than likely need one of those arms to step up for us in the pen late in '08.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
Fernando Hernandez has come a long way for a 49th round draft pick. Our AAA bullpen looks pretty good with Onelli Perez, Fernando Hernandez, Dewon Day, Adam Russell, Carlos Vasquez, and a couple of others.

Just making sure you're aware of Russell's 4.79 ERA in 194 innings in AA, which is a pitcher's park, to go along with some very mediocre peripherals.

He may have dynamite stuff, and he may be a breakout candiate next year at AAA as a reliever full-time, but I'm not about to put the word good anywhere near him yet, even if it's talking about the pen as a whole. That would insinuate that he's a good prospect, when merely I think all you can do is classify him as a sleeper.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Just making sure you're aware of Russell's 4.79 ERA in 194 innings in AA, which is a pitcher's park, to go along with some very mediocre peripherals.

He may have dynamite stuff, and he may be a breakout candiate next year at AAA as a reliever full-time, but I'm not about to put the word good anywhere near him yet, even if it's talking about the pen as a whole. That would insinuate that he's a good prospect, when merely I think all you can do is classify him as a sleeper.

Absolutely agreed.

Russell's control is suspect at this point.

To put it in perspective... Masset's AAA stats were better than Russell's AA stats.