White Sox Fall/Winter League Discussion Thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other Sox players found on rosters...

Kanekoa Texiera playing for the Honolulu Sharks in the Hawaiian League.

Ricardo Nanita playing for Tigres del Licey in the Dominican League (same team as Oneli Perez).

Edited by scenario

Phoenix lost 2-1.

Getz (.333): .2-3, RBI, BB, SB, E (his first)

Sweeney's in a rut... (.212): 0-4, 1 K

Russell: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K

Day: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K

Texeira had an ugly hold for Honolulu: 1 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 1 BB

From minorleaguebaseball.com:

Caneros de los Mochis

WEEK IN REVIEW: The Caneros has dominated with a 10-1 start. Mochis holds a two-game lead over Naranjeros de Hermosillo for first place in the league and has won five straight.

WHO'S HOT AND WHO'S NOT: Jason Bourgeois is 7-for-7 in stolen-base attempts. He also has a .426 on-base percentage and scored 14 runs to help the Mochis motor to the top of the standings. ... White Sox prospect Heath Phillips leads the league in strikeouts (21), is second in innings (17) and compiled a 1-0 record and a 3.71 ERA in three starts. ... Dionys Cesar is fourth in the league in batting average, hitting .421 with two home runs and 10 RBIs in nine games. ... Despite belting two homers and three doubles, Luis Suarez is hitting .211, going 8-for-38 in 11 games. ... Jesse Hoorelbeke has been fanned 18 times to lead the league.

NEWS AND NOTES: The Caneros pitching staff is the class of the league, posting an ERA of 1.87. The Mochis also leads the league in shutouts (two), fewest home runs allowed (six) and strikeouts (92). ... The bats are just as potent, with the team clubbing a league-high 16 home runs while stealing 13 bases in 14 attempts -- also good for best in the league. ... The Mochis has outscored opponents, 65-22, so far.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 04:55 AM)
I think it's time to at least start paying attention to Bourgeois.

If he's capable of playing SS, Alex Cintron shouldn't come near the 2008 team. I'd love to see a scenario where Bourgeois makes the team and Mackowiak is (cheaply) brought back, but I'd bet on the Sox going with the old-and-busted (Cintron + Erstad).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
If he's capable of playing SS, Alex Cintron shouldn't come near the 2008 team. I'd love to see a scenario where Bourgeois makes the team and Mackowiak is (cheaply) brought back, but I'd bet on the Sox going with the old-and-busted (Cintron + Erstad).

Agreed.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
Its weird though, he's a minor league free agent come spring, and the team hasn't added him to the 40. It seems like they aren't interested. I just don't get why.

Who knows, maybe they have, they still don't have Eggy listed there either.

The White Sox mailbag speculated they'd try to keep Bourgeois in the organization and perhaps offer him a minor league invite to camp. I don't see why they just don't put him on the 40 man, it seems stupid to me. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing but he looks like a sparkplug type to me and he can play multiple positions.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)

Cintron won't be back with teh Sox next year, I would almost bet on it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
Cintron won't be back with teh Sox next year, I would almost bet on it.

Right now, I wouldn't be sure about anything. But I will say that if you look at guys like Erstad, Cintron, and Podsednik...I think you can come up with a very solid evaluation of how this offseason goes based on whether or not they're still with the team next year. We could make a steal of a deal in the trading market and sign ARod as a bargain, but if those guys are still around, then we're in trouble.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)
The White Sox mailbag speculated they'd try to keep Bourgeois in the organization and perhaps offer him a minor league invite to camp. I don't see why they just don't put him on the 40 man, it seems stupid to me. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing but he looks like a sparkplug type to me and he can play multiple positions.

I wonder if they see him as some AAAA player, kinda like Bajenaru was?

I wonder if they see him as some AAAA player, kinda like Bajenaru was?

It's hard to say. They still have time to put him on the 40 man, the rule 5 is still several weeks away. So it's not cut and dried they won't put him on. Also, it's tough to make the evaluation in a bubble so to speak, maybe they have their eyes on a similar player or two they're sure they can acquire.

The obvious solution to me is this, put him on the 40 because it appears he's coming into his own and the White Sox need as many high energy players as they can get. He most certainly looks like a better option than Andy Gonzalez, I see zero reason why he should be on the 40. Plus there's several other marginal guys on the 40 so there's no reason they wouldn't have room, at this time anyway.

Maybe I am jumping the gun on this but the comment from the Sox mailbag made it seem like maybe they'd retain him and maybe they wouldn't.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
It's hard to say. They still have time to put him on the 40 man, the rule 5 is still several weeks away. So it's not cut and dried they won't put him on. Also, it's tough to make the evaluation in a bubble so to speak, maybe they have their eyes on a similar player or two they're sure they can acquire.

I think you have to feel right now they're waiting to make their 40 man type moves until the last possible minute, which isn't a terribly bad strategy I'd say. Kinda makes sense, if either of these guys were to get massively hurt in the next couple weeks then you wouldn't really want to have put them on that roster, and you'd expect a few more slots to open up when the options on Podsednik, Erstad, and Uribe are declined, so you'd have more room to maneuver by waiting.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
Its weird though, he's a minor league free agent come spring, and the team hasn't added him to the 40. It seems like they aren't interested. I just don't get why.

Why? This was a breakout year for Bourgeois after an otherwise unspectacular minor league career. They're probably still trying to figure out if he's real or just had a career year. And sending him to winter ball is a pretty good sign they're interested in him.

He'll get added to the 40, and so will Egbert. No sense in putting them on now though. That would mean waiving players who may have some tradeable value. I don't see anyone on the 40-man currently who I would just flat out release (edit: except Bukvich who was released on Friday). So Kenny has to cook up a trade or two to open slots I would guess.

And as Balta said above... declining Pods, Erstad, and Uribe will open 3 spots soon enough without other changes needed.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(BearSox @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Lucy finally hit the ball today, going 2-3 with 2 RBI's.

Good. The whole reason he is there is to work on hitting. Not that you can read a whole bunch into a few AB's, but, if his average stays THAT low for the AFL season, that is not a good sign.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
Is there any chance at all for Brian Anderson in the White Sox system?

I still think it's stupid to write him off, esp. if we're expecting Fields to start in LF this season...eventually he will be moving back to 3rd, and we're going to need 1 more OF. He clearly can't be just "Given" a starting role this year, but if either he or Sweeney comes out hot next April, maybe you do consider moving Crede next year.

Of course, what I'd consider to be stupid to do based on talent might be something the team decides to do totally on attitude alone. I hope though that they at least consider what he does during winterball and the fact that he's going there voluntarily before writing him off totally.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
I heard that Sweeney is hitting .212 right now with 10 K in 33 AB and no XBH. I think it's time for KW to consider trading him before his value goes down the s***ter like Anderson's did.

After his 2007 year at AAA, his wrist injury, and now a semi-bad performance in limited at bats in the AFL, guess what? His trade value is already very low.

No good reason to trade a prospect when they are low. You would get little or nothing for him anyway. Better policy is to look at the fact that he is 22, he still has a lot of talent, and give him a chance in 2008 to show that 2007 was not the real deal. If he improves, THEN you can either trade him for something or use him on the team. If he is bad again, then you haven't lost much, since he's of little trade value anyway.

Sweeney, like Lucy, should be starting 2008 with Charlotte, under the gun - hit and hit for some power, or see your shot at the big leagues go whizzing by.

Not that Lucy is anywhere near the prospect Sweeney is, because he isn't - just saying they are in somewhat the same boat as far as the organziation is concerned, I think.