Colbert for President

kapkomet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
I didn't win because I "spammed for votes" (I don't consider it spam: attempts to de-alienate SoxTalk's voters aren't "spam").

I won because I was the only non-establishment candidate. I won because I promised youth, vigor and change. I won because I was right for SoxTalk. That is why I am the President, like every President -- I won on my own merits!

Busted.

http://www.trueseo.net/seo-terms.html

Unscrupulous or unethical means of inflating results. Usually deteriorates the quality of listings and often results in penalties or being banned from a search engine.

http://www.expedite-email-marketing.com/in...sdefinition.htm

the use of mailing lists to blanket Usenet groups or private e-mail boxes with indiscrimination, unsolicited messages of a promotional nature. ...

Those aren't in the context of a political campaign.

Edit: and there is nothing unethical about asking people who otherwise wouldn't vote or whose allegiances you don't know to vote, especially not in politics. It wasn't like I was asking people to buy my hot sauce.

And I can't believe we're STILL having the discussion about whether or not I did something wrong. Even last December, my opponents said I didn't do anything wrong in PMing for votes. Geez.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
There is some value in his candidacy. The other night he was discussing campaign laws and how he can't use colbertnation.com he has to use a different one. Btw checkout colbert08.com

If it sparks some interest, and a few more people vote, that's a good thing. It is almost exactly like when soxtalk attempted a serious election, with a series of debates and hopefully thought evoking speeches. Instead, someone decided to fore go that process and resort to spamming for votes.

Why would you think that applied to you? ;)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
I think it's funny that spazbot forgets that that portion of the election was to determine the top two candidates and NOT the president.

if non-establishment candidate = dorkass... i couldn't agree more.

If this doesn't qualify as a personal attack, I don't know what does. And if it doesn't qualify as a personal attack, please let me know because I'd like to let the dogs out on this YouTube troll.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

I am going to go ahead and re-open this up, as I think we are OK now.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/st...6656&page=1

No Joke: Colbert's Campaign May Run Afoul of Law

Campaign Finance Law May Spoil Comedian's Fun

Stephen Colbert says his presidential campaign is serious business and the Federal Election Commission may find that's no joke. (AP) By RICK KLEIN

With its snack-food sponsorship, Democratic and Republican affiliations, and Sen. Larry Craig as a possible running mate, Stephen Colbert's run for the presidency is hardly serious business.

But the joke could be on Colbert if federal election officials decide his candidacy is for real.

If his campaign plays out the way he's indicated that it will, Comedy Central and Colbert's sponsor, Doritos, could be violating federal laws that bar corporations from backing political campaigns, election law experts say.

"How serious can you get about running as a joke?" said Massie Ritsch, communications director for the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan group that tracks campaign finances. "The Federal Election Commission doesn't have a great sense of humor."

Feds May Take Colbert Seriously

Federal law bars corporations from contributing to candidates, either through donations or in-kind contributions such as free use of goods or services.

Media organizations are permitted to feature presidential candidates in covering campaigns.

But no precedent exists for a television network promoting and fostering a candidacy of one of its own talk-show hosts, said Lawrence M. Noble, a former general counsel for the Federal Election Commission. And comedian Pat Paulsen's 1968 candidacy predated current campaign finance regulations.

"The real problem comes in the fact that he actually has his own show, talking about his campaign, paid for by a network," Noble said. "These are the kind of things on slow days you'd debate until the late afternoon at the FEC, but there are serious questions that come up. In theory, he could end up having some campaign finance problems."

Full Coverage

Giuliani's Favorite Film? Find Out Here!While he has talked about his candidacy publicly only in character -- as the combative faux-talk-show host who favors "truthiness" on "The Colbert Report" -- Colbert is taking formal steps that are consistent with an actual presidential candidacy.

He has begun collecting signatures to get himself placed on both the Democratic and Republican presidential primary ballots in South Carolina.

And while he has said he's in the race to run, not to win, he has talked about trying to win delegates to the Democratic National Convention.

"I think a lot of people are asking whether -- they say, 'Is this, is this real,' you know?" Colbert said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "And to which I would say to everybody, this is not a dream, OK? You're not going to wake up from this, OK? I'm far realer than Sam Brownback, let me put it that way."

It'll prove what a terrible state our democracy is in. I think it's a good laugh that Colbert is doing this, but the minute he becomes serious (while still cracking jokes) IMO he's just pissing on the whole system. It's really not that funny to get 18-34 year olds voting because they think you're good for a laugh.

We should pretty much bar anyone whose name and face recognition comes from being on a TV show. ;)

I assumed that the bar was once he got on a ballot. Certainly the laws have to be reasonably clear on this. Wasn't Thompson bumping up against a deadline for declaring, something about his exploratory committee being in place for too long without declaring? Apply the law, we'd all learn something.

The other issue is it is the primary, perhaps if he spurs people to actually register and vote for the first time, some may believe that is a good thing. I prefer if y'all stay home and let me run things. :drink

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
It's really not that funny to get 18-34 year olds voting because they think you're good for a laugh.

Then the "real" candidates need to do a better job of inspiring 18-34 year olds to vote for them.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
Then the "real" candidates need to do a better job of inspiring 18-34 year olds to vote for them.

Absolutely agree. I guess that's my issue with it - voting and being informed about whats going on with government used to be an important part of American life. Now we're more interested in Britney's crotch and guys who look at the camera funny and crack jokes.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
Absolutely agree. I guess that's my issue with it - voting and being informed about whats going on with government used to be an important part of American life. Now we're more interested in Britney's crotch and guys who look at the camera funny and crack jokes.

That's because you can't avoid that kind of stuff .... while watching the news! The dumbing down of America has been successful.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
That's because you can't avoid that kind of stuff .... while watching the news! The dumbing down of America has been successful.

Amen. For the information age, people as a whole are more stupid then ever before.