Colbert for President

kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
Amen. For the information age, people as a whole are more stupid then ever before.

I disagree and I'll tell you why. But first let me get back to this Jerry Springer episode.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
I fundamentally agree with "one person, one vote," but find it troubling that Britney Spears' opinion on who should be President holds as much sway as someone with a PhD in Political Science.

Take heart, most studies reveal the "Britney Spears" of the world do not vote as much as the "FlaSoxBaltas" of the world.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
When the President has a 25% approval rating, and Congress is at 11%, it accurately portrays people's view of the current policital enviornment.

Agreed. I don't see how anybody can justify the performance of either party. They are both being controlled by the same puppeteer.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)
The truth is, if you put anyone that isn't immediately stuck to one party or the other on a poll ballot these days - I think they'd get 10 or 12 percent of the vote.

In that same poll, if you just filter to the 18-29 year old voters...Stephen actually comes in 2nd, beating either Republican option.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
In that same poll, if you just filter to the 18-29 year old voters...Stephen actually comes in 2nd, beating either Republican option.

Given the desertion of the GOP by people under 30, that doesn't surprise me.

Four years ago, voters under 30 voted for the Dem nominee 54-45.

Truth is that the GOP is losing its party for at least a generation right now.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)
Given the desertion of the GOP by people under 30, that doesn't surprise me.

Four years ago, voters under 30 voted for the Dem nominee 54-45.

Truth is that the GOP is losing its party for at least a generation right now.

The GOP, like any party is going to have to adapt. If you remember, the Democrats used to have a large pro-segregation faction.

** Dem states used to be colored red by the media. States Rights Democratic party in orange. **

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...e1948-Large.png

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
The GOP, like any party is going to have to adapt. If you remember, the Democrats used to have a large pro-segregation faction.

** Dem states used to be colored red by the media. States Rights Democratic party in orange. **

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...e1948-Large.png

One could, if one were so inclined, make the argument that the Democrats' loss of the Southern/Segregationist Democrats really starting with Nixon's southern strategy helped make the Democrats into a minority party for the better part of 30 years, with only Watergate and Ross Perot giving the Dems even a shot at the White House until the nations' demographics finally began to reach a point in the past few years where they could stage a comeback.

With the fact that the Republicans are also in the process of losing the Hispanic vote for a long time, if the strength the Democrats show in my generation winds up holding to some extent, then the Republicans as they exist now will have no constituency left on which to build a majority.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
One could, if one were so inclined, make the argument that the Democrats' loss of the Southern/Segregationist Democrats really starting with Nixon's southern strategy helped make the Democrats into a minority party for the better part of 30 years, with only Watergate and Ross Perot giving the Dems even a shot at the White House until the nations' demographics finally began to reach a point in the past few years where they could stage a comeback.

With the fact that the Republicans are also in the process of losing the Hispanic vote for a long time, if the strength the Democrats show in my generation winds up holding to some extent, then the Republicans as they exist now will have no constituency left on which to build a majority.

After the Democrats finally abandoned segregation as a policy, then southern voters were up for grabs. Obviously the Republicans wouldn't tolerate those policies in their party either, but they did realize a lot of one issue voters now had to abandon that issue and would be available. The Democrats still continued to win southern states, even up to Clinton.

As far as your dreams of having one political party (the super dems) , it's not going to happen :P . Voters are more loyal to issues and ideals than a Donkey or Elephant logo. I would see more outside parties gaining momentum. For example, you would have the evangelicals and there ilk all voting together, a center-right GOP, a center-left Dems, and far left party.

Also, G.W. Bush is a huge liability for the GOP. After a flop of a presidency, like Jimmy Carter or GW Bush, the opposition party always gets much stronger.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 24, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
Also, G.W. Bush is a huge liability for the GOP. After a flop of a presidency, like Jimmy Carter or GW Bush, the opposition party always gets much stronger.

The BFD is ending. A strong 8 years and Jeb would have had a chance.