2007-08 NBA Thread

Brian

the deal

Sources: Cavs get Wallace from Bulls, Szczerbiak from Sonics

By Marc Stein

ESPN.com

(Archive)

The Cleveland Cavaliers appear to have beaten the NBA's annual trade buzzer to get LeBron James some of the fresh help he's been openly craving.

In a three-way trade with Chicago and Seattle that has been submitted for league approval, NBA front-office sources say that Cleveland will come away with four new teammates for James, headlined by Ben Wallace from the Bulls and sharpshooter Wally Szczerbiak from the Sonics.

The league office was notified of the deal before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trading deadline, sources said, and is currently reviewing the trade details as required for formal approval.

After Cleveland watched two longstanding trade targets land elsewhere -- Mike Bibby in Atlanta and Jason Kidd in Dallas -- sources say that the deal calls for the Cavaliers to receive Wallace, Szczerbiak, Seattle point guard Delonte West, Chicago's Joe Smith and a future second-round pick from the Bulls.

The Bulls, apparently abandoning their gamble on Wallace less than two seasons into the lucrative four-year deal they used to sign him away from Detroit, would get Cavaliers forward Drew Gooden and swingman Larry Hughes along with Cavs reserves Cedric Simmons and Shannon Brown.

The Sonics, shedding Szczerbiak in the name of additional payroll flexibility, come away with the expiring contracts of Cleveland's Ira Newble and Chicago's Adrian Griffin as well as Cavs veteran Donyell Marshall.

PAX DID A GREAT JOB HERE. Simmons and Brown are both valuable, especially Simmons.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
Oh my god...I'm in love. Now the team needs to get rid of Ben because I actually like Larry Hughes. In fact I like Hughes a lot. The only major risk is health. Geeze am I excited.

There's no way this team would have traded for Hughes and his contract if they also intended to sign Gordon. I think the writing on the wall is that Gordon is one odd man out at the end of this season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Oh my god...I'm in love. Now the team needs to get rid of Ben because I actually like Larry Hughes. In fact I like Hughes a lot. The only major risk is health. Geeze am I excited.

Sign and Trade Ben and for Jermaine O'Neal in the offseason... maybe the bulls can compete then.

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 06:25 PM)
Indiana would want Deng no doubt in the deal

I'm sure that the deal wouldn't be straight up, but I can't think of a player other than O'Neal (Michael Redd?) who is available and of any quality.... the bottom line is that were light years away from contending.

Yeah, maybe we should just leave Gooden and Hughes to watch the rest of the season if this is the way we play on a daily basis lol. I know every night wont be as good as this one, but man thank god Ben Wallace is gone. He was such a black hole on this team and his defense isnt good enough anymore to offset the blackhole he is on offense.

The J.R. Smith for Adrian Griffin trade was just such an incredibly awful trade, Pax doesn't get nearly the blame he deserves for that nonsense. Fun game tonight though, between that one and Phoenix/L.A. a few days ago, that's 2 of the better displays of offensive basketball I've seen in a long time.

Im pretty sure J.R. Smith didnt want to be here which is why I just never chose to hate Pax for the trade. If I remember correctly he was just an asshole when he was here. Anyways yes that game was so fun to watch it looked like Noah and TT just could do their own thing .. and then their was this one play where it started at the top with gordon .. pass to the side and down to Luol for a dunk, at that point I was set on this team without BWallace.

I also liked that all four new players were on the bench and they got in the game with the rest. I just thought that was a fun thing to see contrary to when i was on espn watching the CLE game and seeing BWallace and the other 3 sitting in Danny Ferry's box eating their chicken tenders

Im pretty sure J.R. Smith didnt want to be here which is why I just never chose to hate Pax for the trade. If I remember correctly he was just an asshole when he was here.

The Bulls traded for him on July 13th, 2006 and then traded him away July 19th........hard to be an asshole and make people believe you don't want to be somewhere in under a week.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
I also liked that all four new players were on the bench and they got in the game with the rest. I just thought that was a fun thing to see contrary to when i was on espn watching the CLE game and seeing BWallace and the other 3 sitting in Danny Ferry's box eating their chicken tenders

I saw the same thing. May not of been their decision, but they should of been on the bench none the less.

Smith had off court issues in addition to attitude problems well before the trade. He's also not a very good defensive player. All this led to him not fitting in. Personally, I think Skiles was behind Smith's trading. He's talented, but he's troubled or at least was at the time of the trade.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 10:06 PM)
I saw the same thing. May not of been their decision, but they should of been on the bench none the less.

All of the physicals must be completed before a trade can be official, and they weren't, so nobody in that trade could play tonight. The Bulls guys didn't take their physicals until like 5 this evening, and I'm not even sure if the new Seattle or Cleveland guys took them today.

From a Sam Smith Tribune column last month:

"Why does John Paxson get a free pass for trading J.R. Smith and getting exactly nothing for him? I am sure he is not a Skiles/Paxson guy, but I think that quality is overrated. By my account, he was given to Denver and the Bulls have zero to show for it. Are the Bulls here to win games or pass judgment on character? --David Cox, Chicago

I can't say I disagree. The Bulls are loaded with guards and Smith never would have played. Who are you going to sit, Gordon? Hinrich? And Sefolosha eventually will be the bigger defensive guard they need. I'm interested to see how Smith does with Anthony and Iverson firing now. It's not like I heard a lot of people saying the team had to keep him after the trade. The fact is there are some issues with the guy; he's already stated he doesn't like to get up early to come to practice and character does matter. Not for the sake of judging someone or making the world better, but you need people you can count on and are reliable. Smith had not shown any of that with the Hornets and I'm interested to see what happens now with Anthony and Iverson running everything in Denver."

In addition to what Sam said, Smith butted heads with Byron Scott which is a reason why they traded him. Smith was also suspended 10 games earlier this season for starting a brawl with the Knicks. He's a nut.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
The Bulls traded for him on July 13th, 2006 and then traded him away July 19th........hard to be an asshole and make people believe you don't want to be somewhere in under a week.

--He was carrying a track record .. and its not that hard to make the wrong impression in 6 days

whitesoxfan101-- we werent talking about them playing

I do believe we ended up with Aaron Gray from the JR Smith trade as we got 2 2007 2nd round picks and Howard Eisley for Smith. (We sent our 2007 2nd round pick to Portland in the Thomas/Aldridge swap. We used the second 2nd round pick on JamesOn Curry.)

Edited by sircaffey