Hell has frozen over

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
and Patrick Kane leads all rookies in points...

i cant believe this.

He's seriously ridiculous. When he has the puck, it appears that he always is thinking 2 plays ahead and appears so calm. Its eery to see an 18 year old pro athlete perform like that.

This from another board - this guy writes for a Cincinnati newspaper:

HELL -- With temperatures reaching historic lows here following the death and arrival of Bill "Gential" Wirtz to this region, the Chicago Blackhawks, now run by the sons of the late Wirtz, have announced they will try to negotiate to get home games televised in the Chicago area.

But despite the ice forming in on the coast of the lakes here, Wirtz said those games will still be blacked out in this region, meaning dead lawyers, politicians, and others here will still be unable to watch the Original Six team on television.

"If we allow residents of Hell to watch Blackhawks games, many of them will see no reason to return to the surface to buy tickets and attend games," Wirtz said. "Plus you know the saying about money that 'you can't take it with you'? Well, it's true, and the folks down here don't have any money, so why should we let them view games for free when they don't have the means to buy tickets and merchandise?"

While Wirtz has remained stedfast in the opposition to televising Blackhawks home games even after his death, he has gained supporters here by trying to restrict the televising of American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and Survivor in this area.

"I'm opposed in general to allowing people to watch crap on TV," Wirtz said. "I didn't let people watch my crappy team on TV, so people here shouldn't have to watch any of those crappy programs either. I'm doing them a favor. Hey, more people already like me down here than on the surface for this move alone."

:lolhitting

I saw this thread title in the Pub on the main page and immediately thought, "Oh my god, the Blackhawks are going to get locally televised home games!".

I clicked on the thread and LOLed, because I was right.

That immediately, "Hell has frozen over" meant exactly to me what it meant to everyone else.

:lol:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
First day Satan can ice skate is November 11th, according to Rozner:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=62313

Rozner is a f***ing dolt. Instead of keeping that article about how the Hawks will be on TV for the first time ever and about how Rocky is changing things, he goes off on a tangent about how the Hawks should trade Khabibulin (yet, at the same time, insinuates that the team should be competing for a playoff spot THIS SEASON). I also love how he insinuates that Tallon has drafted poorly -- that's a riot.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Rozner is a f***ing dolt. Instead of keeping that article about how the Hawks will be on TV for the first time ever and about how Rocky is changing things, he goes off on a tangent about how the Hawks should trade Khabibulin (yet, at the same time, insinuates that the team should be competing for a playoff spot THIS SEASON). I also love how he insinuates that Tallon has drafted poorly -- that's a riot.

The guy is an idiot when it comes to the Hawks. Let's trade Habby, and have Lalime get us to the playoffs. Good call moron.

And he's mixing up Smith's draft picks with Tallon's. Sometimes I think that Rozner thinks Tallon has been the GM for 10 years.

He's bitter about Yawney and will never get over it.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/ext/rockywirtzmemo.pdf

Full Rocky memo.

You know, my whole life I've thought about how much the Hawks could change when Bill passed on ownership. I would think about what the Hawks used to be, when we had season tickets in the 2nd balcony at the Stadium, where I grew up with this team every game. They owned the town in the late 80s and early 90s, period. As I like to say, you couldn't steal a ticket back then. But nowhere in my heart of hearts did I think the change could be this drastic, this fast. I think most die hards thought things could change, but probably wouldn't too much unless the Wirtz's sold the team. Now, we're not winning a Stanley Cup real soon, but this whole new attitude where people who work there are on notice, Pulford is gone, and fans are going to be exposed to this team with home games on TV is just remarkable. On the ice, the team is off to a nice start and we have 2 superstars in the making. This is like getting hit by a ton of bricks. And damn does it feel good.

In Rocky we trust. Someone make me a tshirt.

As a Hawks fan (and avid hockey player... one of those kids who grew up with the puck and idolizing such "stars" as Tony Amonte, Alexei Zhamnov, Chris Chelios, Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick) this day was so worth the wait.

I remember when I was a kid back in the mid-late 90's (I'm 24 now) I just couldn't understand why home games weren't on television. It never made sense, but it became accepted. When they were winning 30 games a year I was still hunting for radio coverage of the games while in college in DeKalb (the land of the dead radio signal)...

Since the lockout ended, for me, Blackhawk hockey became much less of a must-see television experience, simply because the players were either injured or bad (see Ruutu the last few years)... then I became an intern with the Blackhawks two years ago and working in the front office it became oh-so apparent that the Hawks were stuck in the old ways. Everyone there thought that Peter was next in line (among the interns, its not like I sat down with DeMaria and had a heart to heart on why the Hawks suck). That would have been horrible.

Rocky gets credit for doing the blatantly obvious things. Get rid of Pulford was number 1a on my list, but number 1 was home games. Having purchased a gorgeous Samsung Hi-Def LCD television, largely because of my love for the White Sox, Bulls, and Bears, I knew I would NEVER see the Hawks in HD unless they wound up on Versus.

Hockey is so much better in hi-def (even though you could barely pull me away from regular def)... not only is this huge for introducing new fans, but the home games in hi-def will have even more people tuning in. People are hi-def snobs, and if they come across a beautiful hockey game in hi-def... hear the crowd cheering during the star-spangled banner, hear the fans CHEERING after a hawks goal instead of booing... that's going to make them want to be a part of it.

Kane, Toews... there's going to be some rough spots. No team ever wants to have its rookies carrying them, but hopefully these two keep up with the good work and Ruutu pulls his head out of his ass until Havlat gets back. If Havlat can come back 100% and join this squad... we're looking at a top 5-6 team in the Western Conference, because I can't name a team with a better 1-2 punch in goal than Khabibulin and Lalime.

LET'S GO HAWKS!

Edited by Steve9347