The Wall

Texsox

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 05:12 AM)
Hey if it worked for Germany...

Except thiers was to keep people in. I am glad you believe in such openness. Why don't you also remove the front door to your house as well. And leave your car unlocked. After all, we wouldn't want to be stopping people from going where they aren't supposed to.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 07:10 AM)
Except thiers was to keep people in. I am glad you believe in such openness. Why don't you also remove the front door to your house as well. And leave your car unlocked. After all, we wouldn't want to be stopping people from going where they aren't supposed to.

What's the difference? How go you construct a fence that only stops people one way?

Do not forget to stop tourists and students from coming here as well.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 07:28 AM)
What's the difference? How go you construct a fence that only stops people one way?

Do not forget to stop tourists and students from coming here as well.

Tourists get passports. Students get visas. The fences that stop people only one way have something called a checkpoint that lets legal people pass through and keeps illegal people from doing so.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 15, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
fence.jpg

This should take care of the problem. Put one on the southern border, and then one on the northern border. Fly a few predators with night and heat vision.

One thing I think would be more effective would be instead of parking so many trucks in fixed locations fly squads of agents around in helicopters equipped with thermals. They would be ready to swoop down and pounce on groups of illegals and able to cover a much wider area.

I also love how people lament the "thousands of bodies" found in the desert. If they'd have stayed at home they would still be alive.

I hope we can provide a way for the farmers and ranchers to get to the river for their irrigation. Thousands of farms depend on their irrigation pumps for their livelihood. It will also likely kill many animals who also depend on the river for drinking water.

It's funny, we build that same fence to keep in a thousand inmates, add guards at a 10:1 ration, and yet they still escape. I guess this fence is better. It will probably stop the drug smuggling also. I'm certain all the street drugs through Mexico will dry up in no time, which is a boom to both sides.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
I hope we can provide a way for the farmers and ranchers to get to the river for their irrigation. Thousands of farms depend on their irrigation pumps for their livelihood. It will also likely kill many animals who also depend on the river for drinking water.

It's funny, we build that same fence to keep in a thousand inmates, add guards at a 10:1 ration, and yet they still escape. I guess this fence is better. It will probably stop the drug smuggling also. I'm certain all the street drugs through Mexico will dry up in no time, which is a boom to both sides.

One way to stop drug smuggling quickly is to simply execute anyone caught smuggling narcotics on the spot. If they know they will be killed for their trouble if caught they will abandon their efforts in a big hurry.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:44 PM)
One way to stop drug smuggling quickly is to simply execute anyone caught smuggling narcotics on the spot. If they know they will be killed for their trouble if caught they will abandon their efforts in a big hurry.

Even I believe that's a bit ... ummmm ... harsh.

It's a multi-billion dollar industry, it isn't going away that easily. The low-level runners will just be told "Go, or we will shoot you ourselves."

QUOTE(NUKE @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
One thing I think would be more effective would be instead of parking so many trucks in fixed locations fly squads of agents around in helicopters equipped with thermals. They would be ready to swoop down and pounce on groups of illegals and able to cover a much wider area.

I also love how people lament the "thousands of bodies" found in the desert. If they'd have stayed at home they would still be alive.

That's similar to what I have suggested before. The wall itself, really, is not only pointless and unnecessary, it also makes the country look awful, costs a metric f*** ton to build and maintain, and would create all sorts of environmental problems. So, how about we do something a lot cheaper and a lot more effective? A "virtual" wall of cameras, FLIR and other detection equipment... monitored by surveillance teams... backed by mobile teams of combined Border Patrol and military units who move in to make the stop.

I see you are picking up some ideas from Iraq. Excellent. I believe this was Saddam's method.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 08:10 AM)

It's really easy to start keeping people in, once that wall is built too. For "security."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Well, in another 6 months...if you try to go overseas and buy something using dollars...

you should only use Euros, balta. that would teach GW a lesson.

Actually, the EU has been trying to get the United States to enact some strategies to raise the value of the dollar. They are getting kinda pissed, they think it gives the US an unfair trade advantage. They want the the Federal Reserve to raise rates. Another factor is that central banks around the world have been diversifying away from dollars, meaning there are more dollars out there in currency markets available to purchase. I thought you liked diversity? :D

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
That's similar to what I have suggested before. The wall itself, really, is not only pointless and unnecessary, it also makes the country look awful, costs a metric f*** ton to build and maintain, and would create all sorts of environmental problems. So, how about we do something a lot cheaper and a lot more effective? A "virtual" wall of cameras, FLIR and other detection equipment... monitored by surveillance teams... backed by mobile teams of combined Border Patrol and military units who move in to make the stop.

And a guest worker program, tied to jobs, that satisfies the needs of American business and industry.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
And a guest worker program, tied to jobs, that satisfies the needs of American business and industry.

Yes, as long as the "guests" are not already here illegally. And much, much more aggresive enforcement against businesses hiring illegals. And those "ties" need to be economically driven, as well as fairly doled out.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 04:22 PM)
oh goodie. Our country is trying to keep us in!

I wouldn't read anything into that. I'm not accusing anyone of making that leap of faith right now... but one of the things I enjoy about being American is my freedom, and that includes freedom to travel. Having a big wall on our land borders would make it really really easy for some rogue administration to just shut the borders down.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
you should only use Euros, balta. that would teach GW a lesson.

Actually, the EU has been trying to get the United States to enact some strategies to raise the value of the dollar. They are getting kinda pissed, they think it gives the US an unfair trade advantage. They want the the Federal Reserve to raise rates. Another factor is that central banks around the world have been diversifying away from dollars, meaning there are more dollars out there in currency markets available to purchase. I thought you liked diversity? :D

Welcome to the rebalancing of the trade deficit.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 16, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
I wouldn't read anything into that. I'm not accusing anyone of making that leap of faith right now... but one of the things I enjoy about being American is my freedom, and that includes freedom to travel. Having a big wall on our land borders would make it really really easy for some rogue administration to just shut the borders down.

That's ok, as long as the NRA protects our right to arms we can blast our way past Nuke.

All the Soviets had to tell the citizens of Berlin is the wall is here to keep too many immigrants from arriving and stealing your jobs. Spin that bad wall into a good wall. :lol: