Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
How can you not want Miguel Cabrera? The only person who should not want him is the owner of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Not at the cost of 20 + potential years of major league experience in top talent such as Gio, Fields, De Los Santos, +. He's got a bat to die for [and sign to a long term deal] but not to trade for only 2 years.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)
In 2005, every move KW made turned out to be Gold.

I remember his constant fiddling period from 01 through 04, and there were lots of head-scratching moves like this one.

The fact of the matter, even if we had say, Chris Young or Aaron Rowand on the 2006-07 White Sox, the same end result would have occured. What moves has KW made that kept us from winning? Please, don't tell me about the reported Astros/Garland trade.

The downfall of this club was the deterioration of Garcia and Contreras, along with the implosion of the bullpen and the aging of the offense. Almost like a perfect storm turning against the club, after the way everything meshed so perfectly in 2005 and the first half of 06.

Who's responsible for putting together this aging offense and explosive bullpen, and now shotty rotation? For a GM that saw a team win a World Series title with 4 dominant SP and a lights out bullpen, he sure has become obsessed with offense.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Not at the cost of 20 + potential years of major league experience in top talent such as Gio, Fields, De Los Santos, +. He's got a bat to die for [and sign to a long term deal] but not to trade for only 2 years.

Gio, Fields, and DLS are only prospects -- and none are considered elite by places like BP, BA, etc. Cabrera is an elite major league player under control for 2 seasons. Given the current direction of the Sox, trading Gio, Fields and DLS for Miguel Cabrera would be a perfect fit.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)

The big question is who we end up with in CF...if we get another "complementary" player like Crisp or Billy Hall or Rowand.

I have a sense we're out of the T. Hunter sweepstakes and will go with someone more in the Pods mold who fits along with the Cabrera/Ozzie Ball/Scioscia style of managing.

Salary dump. I'm guessing they got at least $2 million in the deal, meaning that the Sox saved $6 million in the swap. Whether that goes to other players or just to the raises due to Buehrle and Dye, I don't know.

My guess is that it goes to the raises due to Buehrle and Dye.

The Uribe re-signing is a real head scratcher at this point.

P.S. I like Cabrera for something like .280/.330/.400 with the Sox. Better than Uribe offensively, but no great shakes. I don't like what they will be replacing Garland with in the rotation.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:22 PM)
Has the amount of money the Sox are getting been confirmed yet?

Or -- asking the question I really want answered -- how many dollars do the Sox finish 'ahead', here?

Garland 08 = $12M

Cabrera 08 = $9M

So, the differential is $3M. Add the cash amount (?) to that for your net savings.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Gio, Fields, and DLS are only prospects -- and none are considered elite by places like BP, BA, etc. Cabrera is an elite major league player under control for 2 seasons. Given the current direction of the Sox, trading Gio, Fields and DLS for Miguel Cabrera would be a perfect fit.

The current direction? What is that? A blind attempt at competing in this division? Even with Miguel Cabrera, we don't stand a chance to compete with Detroit and Cleveland with our current pitching staff. If anything, I think the perfect fit for the current direction of the Sox to trade guys away.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
Who's responsible for putting together this aging offense and explosive bullpen, and now shotty rotation? For a GM that saw a team win a World Series title with 4 dominant SP and a lights out bullpen, he sure has become obsessed with offense.

But it was also a bullpen centered around the likes of two players in Politte and Cotts who have disappeared from the face of the earth.

Bullpens are just too inconsistent on a year to year basis. The big question is whether KW's ego will allow him to take a different approach (which means spending money on a LH reliever in 2006 or not trying to "out-think" the other GM's with the likes of Aardsma and Sisco and Masset).

Does anyone see KW spending $7.5 million per season on Scott Linebrink et al? Should we bring back Damaso Marte, lol? Alan Embree? Luis Vizcaino?

I don't. Just look at Baltimore for an example of how NOT to spend $20 million on your bullpen last year.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
I think that the recent trade of Jon Garland for Orlando Cabrera is a set-up for a bigger trade. Kenny Knows something we don't and I bet this trade is going to be better in the coming weeks.

i dont think KW is capable of makin anything better at this point

The reason this pisses me off so much is because the White Sox ONCE AGAIN have traded a player ONE YEAR TOO late.

We could have had Tavares, T.Bucholz, and Jason Hirsch from Houston last year for Garland. I am not saying Bucholz or Hirsch will become studds, but they have solid arms and were young. Tavares could have filled our need at leadoff/CF. Obviously, Garland's value was higher not going into a contract year, BUT THATS WHEN YOU FRIGGING trade guys, WHEN THEIR VALUE is high.

Now, his value is down some as he is heading into a contract year after not pitching well in the 2nd half. So we're left adding an aging (though talented) player ALSO in a contract year. We gave up PITCHING for this?

Williams tried to deal Jose Contreras last year...yea, during a span where he COULD NOT get ANYONE out. Jose C? A 57 year old Cuban that can't get outs is worth how much?

Joe Crede? As much as I love JC, the Angels wanted him last year...WANTED HIM and I heard rumors that we would get either Lackey or Escobar and or a couple top prospects for him....this was the time to move on Crede. NOW? Crede (and agent Scott Bora$$) are now heading into A (you guessed it) contract year, COMING OFF major back surgery...and what is Ken Williams doing now? SHOPPING JOE CREDE. You needed to deal him (and Garland and Jose) LAST YEAR when you could actually GET SOMETHING FOR HIM. Shopping a broken down player in a contract year with the most obstinate agent in the game won't get you jack crap. Another nice job by Williams.

HE pulled this same s*** with Buehrle...shopping him around in the mid-season and no one wanted to give up the farm for a two month rental. He held face on this one when Buehrle took about 15mill less to stay with the White Sox.

Then there was Dye...an aging, injury proned outfielder had a MONSTER year in 2006. He comes up in 2007 and during a contract year WIlliams SHOPS HIM...Boston was willing to toss a couple mid-range prospects at us, but nothing more considering Dye was a TWO MONTH RENTAL.

You could have probably gotten some real decent talent for Dye AFTER 2006, not during a broken down 2007. Williams got lucky, DAMN LUCKY to win the World Series in 2005...he stumbled into that one. He's now driving this franchise right into a fooking iceberg.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Salary dump. I'm guessing they got at least $2 million in the deal, meaning that the Sox saved $6 million in the swap. Whether that goes to other players or just to the raises due to Buehrle and Dye, I don't know.

My guess is that it goes to the raises due to Buehrle and Dye.

P.S. I like Cabrera for something like .280/.330/.400 with the Sox. Better than Uribe offensively, but no great shakes. I don't like what they will be replacing Garland with in the rotation.

Details...but I thought...

JG: $12 mil

OC: $9 mil - $2 mil = $7 mil

= $5 mil saved

No?

I'm not counting on $2 mil, either.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)

I guess time will tell. And the sox do have the Ozzie relationship with Cabrera to encourage him to sign a deal ala Freddy Garcia. It would definitely depend on how sure Ozzie was to Miguel extending. Who is Miguel's agent?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
The way the score is talking, the sox are now looking to move Uribe. Now free up that money and this is looking better.

Cabrera > Uribe

What in the world could we get for Uribe? I think KW is going to find himself stuck with Uribe and wondering why he said "ok" to the 4.5.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)

I don't see it that way. They needed him as a safety. Now they have him signed for $4.5 mil and he can be traded. Rather than letting Uribe walk for nothing, we'd actually getting something back for him.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
I guess time will tell. And the sox do have the Ozzie relationship with Cabrera to encourage him to sign a deal ala Freddy Garcia. It would definitely depend on how sure Ozzie was to Miguel extending. Who is Miguel's agent?

Arn Tellem AKA the agent of Frank Thomas Ben Wallace and Tracy McGrady (The Reinsdorf connection is strong). Tellem is an absolute beast, he tends to get top dollar for his clients (Jason Giambi, Hideki Matsui, Jermaine O'neal, Antawn Jamison.)

If the sox are going to stick with Fields at 3b and Richar at 2b, having Uribe around to play both and SS [and allows the sox to say goodbye to cintron] makes the $4.5 mill. look manageable.

Uribe would be more valuable to the sox in his utility role than any scrub he could net in a trade.