Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

The salary saved by trading him is worth more than his value on the field. Richar is a better hitter. A platoon with Richar and Bourgeois is even better. Any Uribe superiority in defense at 2nd doesn't make up the difference, plus the asset of his arm is basically wasted there.

The salary saved by trading Uribe could come back to bite the sox if

1] Cabrera gets hurt, who's the backup SS?;

2] Richar struggles big time; who goes to 2b? Uribe was stellar at 2b defensively;

3] Fields goes down, who plays 3b?

Having Uribe around for backup at 3 spots [without sacrificing defense at any of the 3 spots] makes his $4.5 mill salary worth it, IMO. Far more than just the salary dump alone. I'm one of the bigger Richar backers out here. Yet he still is very unproven. And needs to get some time off, as does Fields. Those factors, as well as having Uribe's power off the bench, flexibility for late inning subbing, too, makes more sense than dumping him, IMO.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
The salary saved by trading Uribe could come back to bite the sox if

1] Cabrera gets hurt, who's the backup SS?;

2] Richar struggles big time; who goes to 2b? Uribe was stellar at 2b defensively;

3] Fields goes down, who plays 3b?

Having Uribe around for backup at 3 spots [without sacrificing defense at any of the 3 spots] makes his $4.5 mill salary worth it, IMO. Far more than just the salary dump alone. I'm one of the bigger Richar backers out here. Yet he still is very unproven. And needs to get some time off, as does Fields. Those factors, as well as having Uribe's power off the bench, flexibility for late inning subbing, too, makes more sense than dumping him, IMO.

I'm of the opposite opinion, for one simple reason; with any sort of non-Yankee salary constraints, you do at some level have to gamble on the guys you have doing their jobs. You can't just keep quality players sitting on the bench, esp. if they're chewing up a decent chunk of salary, because the people they bring back, if you're smart about it, could and should help you more, and that salary clearing would help even more.

We shouldn't just dump Juan for someone with no chance to ever get to the big leagues, but backup infielders aren't exactly that hard to find. We already have a couple in Pablo and Bourgeois, and if OC were to go down, the difference between Pablo and Uribe is not going to be the difference between missing the playoffs and making them.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
You don't think adding MORE starting pitching will allow them to address those offensive problems? They added DEPTH at the most IMPORTANT position in the game and only had to give up a 33 year old player going into a contract year to do it.

Don't be shocked if they make a subsequent deal within days + to get Garland they didn't have to unload a single prospect, average or otherwise, from their already loaded farm system.

Well, keep in mind they have to replace Colon in their rotation...although he was injured for most of the season.

This leaves the Angels with Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Garland and Saunders as their rotation.

Probably the second best rotation (ON PAPER) in the AL, minus the offensive firepower of the Red Sox.

I don't see where they have any pitchers to trade...beyond either E. Santana and/or Saunders. Neither of those guys, or both together, is not going to get you a Miguel Cabrera caliber player.

They would have to trade Kendry Morales, Willits and another fringe prospect in the mold of McPherson/Kotchmann (06-07) along with those two pitchers...and that opens up just as many problems as it solves.

Maybe if they gave up Aybar/Morales/Willits (two of those three) along with Santana or Sanders...but neither of those pitchers are enough to get anyone excited, they're not true frontline starters, at least at this stage of their careers.

Wow when did GG SS become pieces of garbage? The guy automatically upgrades our defense and saves money. I was the biggest Jon Garland fan on this board but this move makes the White Sox better. I beleive the White Sox feel they can sign him reasonably for a long term deal. He helped Boston win the WS and he can steal a base.

I liked Garland but I think the White Sox got the better end of this deal. I believe Cabrera is better then Renteria and Furcal and this team is better because of it.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
I don't see where they have any pitchers to trade...beyond either E. Santana and/or Saunders. Neither of those guys, or both together, is not going to get you a Miguel Cabrera caliber player.

They would have to trade Kendry Morales, Willits and another fringe prospect in the mold of McPherson/Kotchmann (06-07) along with those two pitchers...and that opens up just as many problems as it solves.

Maybe if they gave up Aybar/Morales/Willits (two of those three) along with Santana or Sanders...but neither of those pitchers are enough to get anyone excited, they're not true frontline starters, at least at this stage of their careers.

Nick Adenhart would get the attention of any team out there if the Halos put his name out.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
Details...but I thought...

JG: $12 mil

OC: $9 mil - $2 mil = $7 mil

= $5 mil saved

No?

I'm not counting on $2 mil, either.

I saw that Cabrera's deal was 4 years $32 million (8 per year). I take it that it was scaled up in the last year? My bad.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
Lets not get ahead of ourselves there. Hes a top defensive SS.

uribe was a top defensive SS, not as good as cabrera, but how many runs will orlando's new d save? If we get a leadoff hitter, fine. But I just can't see this being the right move for trading jon garland.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
I'm of the opposite opinion, for one simple reason; with any sort of non-Yankee salary constraints, you do at some level have to gamble on the guys you have doing their jobs. You can't just keep quality players sitting on the bench, esp. if they're chewing up a decent chunk of salary, because the people they bring back, if you're smart about it, could and should help you more, and that salary clearing would help even more.

We shouldn't just dump Juan for someone with no chance to ever get to the big leagues, but backup infielders aren't exactly that hard to find. We already have a couple in Pablo and Bourgeois, and if OC were to go down, the difference between Pablo and Uribe is not going to be the difference between missing the playoffs and making them.

Things started going downhill after '05 when KW's only goal of the offseason was to improve our bench. Paid relatively big money for Mack/Cintron...yet when these guys had to step in due to injuries last year they were worse than most teams rookies who stepped up and they have no upside. Moral of the story get young talent vs. keeping around older utility guys. I also think Uribe offensively will be terrible as a sub and that ozzie will have a different lineup everyday to keep him fresh which results in no hitters getting comfortable or in a rhythm.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
uribe was a top defensive SS, not as good as cabrera, but how many runs will orlando's new d save? If we get a leadoff hitter, fine. But I just can't see this being the right move for trading jon garland.

It may not, but he is an upgrade defensively and offensively. There isnt one person in the world that doesnt think that this is a positional upgrade for the sox, that is an absolute no brainer.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
Well, keep in mind they have to replace Colon in their rotation...although he was injured for most of the season.

This leaves the Angels with Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Garland and Saunders as their rotation.

Probably the second best rotation (ON PAPER) in the AL, minus the offensive firepower of the Red Sox.

Adenhart or Weaver. Plus Wood or Kendrick, plus someone else. If you give up Kendrick, you shift Figgins to 2b, using Cabrera at 3b. In any case, this can't hurt an Angels push for Cabrera.

haha, didn't Williams just sign Uribe to a one year contract? Oh well, at least we traded away one of our most reliable starting pitchers, thats always a good idea. Especially seeing how great Count was last season. Now get rid of Buehrle for Omar Vizquel and we.are.ready.to.pwn.all.teams.

:headbang

Jon always just seemed like more of a California guy anyway... seriously though I've got to agree with the people saying this is for something bigger. Possible draft compensation seems like a silly reason to pull the trigger on this deal, this early in the offseason. Right now I'm shaking my head, but I've gotta believe more news is coming down in the coming few days.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
It may not, but he is an upgrade defensively and offensively. There isnt one person in the world that doesnt think that this is a positional upgrade for the sox, that is an absolute no brainer.

I'm not disagreeing. I just would've liked to see a different move, and we are gonna have the same song and dance next offseason. I would've liked to have gotten younger but there's no doubt this makes our infield better.

The Uribe may have made sense for a couple reasons

How likely was this trade when they signed Uribe?

The Halos may have wanted even more, but K-Dub could counter with we're happy with Uribe . . .

Maybe the cash was to pay parts of Uribe's contract?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
So, just really curious in all of this...what is really the point of this for either team? The White Sox get a 2nd shortstop, the Angels lose their only real good shortstop, the Sox lose a good starting pitcher and the Angels strengthen a strength...?

The more I think about it from the Angels perspective, the more bizarre. They're already the best team in that division with the best pitching. Garland does make their pitching even better, but if you're in the playoffs- having a real solid #4 starter isn't really tops on the list of things that help you to advance. They got worse at shortstop and maybe $5 million more expensive. I don't know, do they have any other young starters coming up? Do they trade Santana (who's value is really low now)?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
I liked Garland but I think the White Sox got the better end of this deal. I believe Cabrera is better then Renteria and Furcal and this team is better because of it.

HELL YEAH!

I loved this deal when I saw it go across the bottom of the screen during the Marquette game. (I LOVE finding out great news that way)

People should know that I don't like KW, but I have to give it up for KW on this one. OC is a hell of a ball player. He immediately upgrades our small ball, speed and defense.

He fits this team like a glove. IF we can re-sign OC to a short extension, this deal will have been a smashing success. We have a hell of a better chance re-signing OC than we did Garland.

So long, Jon Garland. Thanks for all you've done on the South Side.

WELCOME OC!!!!

QUOTE(BMac Attack @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:23 PM)
Jon always just seemed like more of a California guy anyway... seriously though I've got to agree with the people saying this is for something bigger. Possible draft compensation seems like a silly reason to pull the trigger on this deal, this early in the offseason. Right now I'm shaking my head, but I've gotta believe more news is coming down in the coming few days.

How could this be setting up for something bigger? Maybe for the Angels, sure. But Garland has way more value on the trade market than Cabrera I would think. So where does that lead us?