Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope Kenny takes whatever cash that was included in that deal and throws it towards Hunter. That would make this trade a bit less painful to some. I hate to see Jon go but at the same time...we won't have to watch him give up a 6 or 7 run inning every 4th game or so.

Besides....with the way pitching prices have gone lately....his next contract would price him right out of Chicago anyways.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
So if I had to guess, Garland will be a type B and Cabrera will be a type A. But then you have to ask yourself; will a team be willing to surrender a 1st round pick for a 34 year old Cabrera?

He's not just going to go unsigned, it certainly hasn't yet reached the point where no one would sign him. More likely we'll wind up with a 2nd rounder instead of the late first rounder, but unless he wants to retire, someone will sign him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:06 AM)
If Kenny deals one more pitcher who gets injured shortly thereafter, he'll deserve to be fired. It's a violation of a cardinal rule among GMs that you're open about things like that and it's a bulls*** thing to do.

Besides, you seem to think KW is beyond simply making terrible stupid ridiculous laughable decisions.

Or the Angels could just give Garland a physical unlike the completely inept Phillies front office.

On the one hand, I love Cabrera. He's a huge upgrade at SS. On the other hand, I thought we'd be getting someone like Aybar, along with E. Santana and maybe something else. Cabrera is not a good fit on this team because of his age, and I really thought Garland could bring us back a CF and/or another young pitcher as well.

I just dont understand. We would be better off with Garland in the rotation then shopping him at the deadline to teams desperate for pitching. I dont like this at all. Cabrera is old and had an outlier season. If this money goes towards Hunter then we just made the team even older. I just dont get it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
I just dont understand. We would be better off with Garland in the rotation then shopping him at the deadline to teams desperate for pitching. I dont like this at all. Cabrera is old and had an outlier season. If this money goes towards Hunter then we just made the team even older. I just dont get it.

How did that work last year when 8 teams were looking for a starter and Garland had another year left on his deal?

I get the feeling Cabrera or Uribe is playing second this year coming...

I don't mind the deal so much honestly, Cabrera can give us what we need, a real #2 hitter. Garland was gone either way soon enough, and as long as the money saved from Garland + the money from the Angels is turned into something else for us, I don't mind.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Or the Angels could just give Garland a physical unlike the completely inept Phillies front office.

Or if we KNOW he's hurt -- which I doubt, at this moment -- we don't trade him unless we've explicitly told them, "We're concerned about his arm" because that's the way it's supposed to work amongst GMs.

Anyway, I don't want to spend the morning arguing about GM ethics.

CABRERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
So, say hello to one of Gio/Gavin/Egbert for the rotation next year.

Buehrle

Vazquez

Contreras

Danks

Floyd/Gonzalez/Egbert

It had to happen. Coming off of last year, the downside to gambling on the Kids seems like it is worth the risk. What else can happen, we finish behind the Royals?

It's just the return isn't what some of us had hoped.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
I get the feeling Cabrera or Uribe is playing second this year coming...

I don't mind the deal so much honestly, Cabrera can give us what we need, a real #2 hitter. Garland was gone either way soon enough, and as long as the money saved from Garland + the money from the Angels is turned into something else for us, I don't mind.

and who's leading off?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
Or if we KNOW he's hurt -- which I doubt, at this moment -- we don't trade him unless we've explicitly told them, "We're concerned about his arm" because that's the way it's supposed to work amongst GMs.

Its business, ethics really dont play a huge part, you are supposed to not be retarded and do your homework.

It still didnt stop Jon from being a horse though, and now our pen better be extremely good, because they are going to get alot of work this year with unproven guys in the rotation.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

Or we could figure that GMs with medical staffs and state of the art technology could check it out. If you buy a used car, you have a mechanic check it out.

Caveat Emptor