Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
I know it. But even in a win-win, someone is giving money to someone else, and someone if making money on that price. It may be a win-win overall, but overall, im making money.

Right, but if you are always lying and cheating people, how long will you be in business?

If you are dealing with soemone who has screwed over three other people in your position, how will you treat that person? What if the person has never screwed over someone and you could trust him?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
Yeah, the addition of Cabrera isn't a bad thing. Its only a question of the amount of return for Garland.

I'm disappointed that KW didn't wait until June or July, when Jon's price would be higher. It sounds like he doesn't have much confidence that the "knot" in his shoulder is going away any time soon and perhaps doesn't want to risk a DL stint early on that would send Jon's value into the crapper.

I don't like the return value, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. This has the potential to be the beginning of the end for Kenny.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
I fail to see how this deal can possibly set up any other trades for the Sox.

$ - assuming they get some back. If not, then, not.

I guess Uribe is more expendable, especially with Bourgeois and Getz as possible backup IF's in the wings, though he's not exactly going to bring a lot.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
I'm also very suprised so many people here are dissing the deal. I think OCab, as he will now be known around here, is a good player and a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Uribe. Uribe moving back to his original role in 2004 of Utility INF might be best for him. I hope they can trade him somehow though and get that 4.5 million off the books, but I'm not sure how quickly you can trade guys who you just resigned.

There have been deals contingent on guys signing a new contract, so I imagine there isn't a rule. But I'm just speculating.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:29 AM)
Uribe moving back to his original role in 2004 of Utility INF might be best for him. I hope they can trade him somehow though and get that 4.5 million off the books, but I'm not sure how quickly you can trade guys who you just resigned.

Yeah, I would've liked this deal A LOT more if it were done BEFORE the decision to pick up the option on Uribe's deal. Who in the hell is going to want Juan at $4.5 million? Or does Kenny actually want to pay a utility infielder that much?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm disappointed that KW didn't wait until June or July, when Jon's price would be higher. It sounds like he doesn't have much confidence that the "knot" in his shoulder is going away any time soon and perhaps doesn't want to risk a DL stint early on that would send Jon's value into the crapper.

I don't like the return value, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. This has the potential to be the beginning of the end for Kenny.

I doubt it. But if the move stands alone, and if there isn't some cash coming back or something else, and if its not part of some multi-lateral move... then it looks like a disappointing trade.

I'm now very curious to see what might come next.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
If you really look at deals in the last few years, unless its a total lopsided deal, both teams fans usually hate the deal. Losing a key member of the team stings.

I totally understand. I remember when Rowand was dealt for Thome, alot of people around here were so upset, yet we clearly got the better of the deal. I just have to say this trade looks much better than the Garcia trade last season. I was upset not getting back a MLB ready talent, this time we got a solid contributor who has a solid track record.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Maybe we'll sign a Clement, or a Colon, or, hell, a Garcia with the extra money? To come in mid-season or next?

Who knows what's up.

Im okay with bringing in Colon or Garcia for a cheap discount rate.. they could help a lot in July or August when they can return. This move just means that both Danks and Floyd are in the rotation... umm im not so sure about that. I hope we get another starting pitcher..

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Cause you pretty much take a shot at Gavin Floyd in every post. You like to get a rise out of people by doing so cause you want the attention.

It was a joke about the uncertainty of the rotation and about Floyd. Besides, I don't take a shot at Floyd with every post. And anyway, I'm not the only person here who has a player he criticizes. I'm even fairly mild about my criticisms of Floyd! All I say is he isn't very good. And now we're going to have two huge question marks in our rotation, a guy whose career shows significant inconsistencies, a 70 year old and Mark Buehrle.

It's scary.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I doubt it. But if the move stands alone, and if there isn't some cash coming back or something else, and if its not part of some multi-lateral move... then it looks like a disappointing trade.

Well, I'm not suggesting that Kenny is going anywhere any time soon... at least not for a couple more years. But last year's pathetic results and this could set the wheels of discontent in motion in the board room.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)

The Trib is reporting that the Sox will receive cash in the deal. So I'm thinking something like $3M could be coming back the Sox's way.

IMO Cabrera is better than Tejada and Renteria. Cabrera just won the GOLD GLOVE! He's a gamer. I hope they can sign him to a 3 year extension soon! Am I the only one who likes this move? Yes im worried about the rotation, but i think KW will bring in a decent veteran for a reasonable price... oh and he solidifies that 2 hole in our lineuP!

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
It's too bad KW couldn't have just thrown Uribe in on the deal and we take back some over priced useless guy of their's.

Sadly, that may be what the cash is for, to pay our now utility infielder.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
one of the things that is being overlooked is the leadership qualities of O-cab. He is an energy guy and a leader. That is something that was lacking last season.

Cabrera was absolutely critical for the Red Sox in 2004. The drop-off to Renteria the next year, in intangibles and stick, was significant. Cabrera is a smart hitter who makes contact (something we desperately needed), he drives in runs, and he is an outstanding shortstop. Yes, he's older than I'd like, and, yes, he's in the last year of his deal -- but he is exactly the kind of player this team has lacked for the last two years -- heady and puts the bat on the ball.

I fail to see how this deal can possibly set up any other trades for the Sox.

Apparantly it's all part of what they wanted to do. They wanted to move Garland and upgrade at SS and bring in an energy guy, which Orlando Cabrera is. Again, on the surface I would've liked to see them get more for Garland. Arguably Williams should've pulled the trigger on Garland a year ago (Astros).

I don't think this deal necessarily sets up another move (aside from the $ they got), but I do see it as one move of many.

Another thing it tells me is they think one of the young starters can give them Garland's performance.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
IMO Cabrera is better than Tejada and Renteria. Cabrera just won the GOLD GLOVE! He's a gamer. I hope they can sign him to a 3 year extension soon! Am I the only one who likes this move? Yes im worried about the rotation, but i think KW will bring in a decent veteran for a reasonable price... oh and he solidifies that 2 hole in our lineuP!

No. I like it too.

Its funny to me to see the love for Garland all of the sudden. Sometimes people around here have short memories when it comes to his 4th or 5th inning implosions and the use of the nickname "Judy".

Cabrera is a solid, MLB ready player that is coming off a gold-glove season. It isn't grindErstad all over again. While I am still confused as to the role that Uribe will play, I am going to wait back and rate this offseason when all is said and done.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)

I'm with you man, I like the deal. It always hurts to lose a quality starting pitcher but he had to be traded and we needed a real SS and a #2 hitter. I just hope the kid pitchers(Danks.Floyd and Gio) are ready and to quote Denny Green"be who we thought they were". But lets face it we weren't bad in 2007 because of the pitching as much as it was because of the hitting.