Interesting article on Jason Bourgeois

scenario

I was looking for info on Bourgeois and found an interesting article on MiLB.com. Worth a look.

The writer, Lisa Winston from mlb.com, describes going to scout school in 2002 and having to write up an evaluation of a young Rangers infield prospect who just came off a big year in the Appalachian League.

Then she updates the story to describe him playing for Charlotte this year. In the process, she provides some interesting background on Bourgeois, how he came to the Sox, and a few quotes from a conversation with him this summer about how he sees his role with the team, etc. Good stuff.

Perspective: Bourgeois bundles utility for Sox (link)

Edited by scenario

I have never seen him play, don't really know that much about him, but from what I have read and what I have seen from his stats, he could be a very good utility player. He can play CF, 2b, probably athletic enough to play 3b and SS in a pinch. To me his stats and versitility make him look a lot like Willie Harris. If he brings that type of energy too, that is just a bonus. I think he would be a very good bench player for us to go along with Ozuna, and probably Owens. If the Sox go with 11 pitchers, then all that is missing is a power hitting bench option. I just fear that the Sox don't want Ozuna and Bourgeois both on the bench.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Having all three of Contreras, Danks, and Floyd most likely in the rotation, we need to have 7 relief pitchers, which means only 4 bench guys. Hopefully our Bench will look something like: Ozuna/Bourgeois, Owens, Catcher (looks like Hall is almost done as a White Sox, IMO-Wouldn't mind Lo Duca if he'd except a backup/platoon role, or Miguel Olivo), and like you said a power hitter. I have a feeling that last spot would go to someone like Cintron however...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
Owens isn't very useful as a fourth outfielder because he would not be able to throw anyone out from right field (though we play him in center, despite the fact he cannot throw out anyone there).

Ideally, Owens would be used in the Dave Roberts role of the 04 Red Sox. The 4th Bench Player would hopefully be someone who could play all three OF position and hit for a little pop. Perhaps Spilborghs from Colorado if we could get him?

Why not do something like spread buehrle and vaquez out to 1 and 3 so you have a greater possibility of having your relievers ready to go on those days where your crappier pitchers are more likely to pitch. Why put your pitchers in order? Will they really get more starts by the year end? Maybe one.