Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 02:41 PM)
According to Baseball-Reference, Cabrera has 391 career plate appearances as a leadoff hitter. His numbers:

.245 .283 .394 .677

In the last 4 years, he has hit leadoff only 25 times.

That line, which people are using to worry about him leading off, is really not relevant since he hasn't led off more than a handful of at bats since 2001. Its just not any indication of what he'd do in the #1 slot now.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Actually was looking for a comparison to Hunter.

Basically Hunter and Rowand's career numbers are very comparable.

Career OPS+ (which accounts for park effects) 100 is league average

Hunter 104

Rowand 106

A. Jones 113 (with career low 88 last year)

Cameron 106

Bradley 110

just for the hell of it

Thome 150

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)
If the Sox were to sign Rowand. That would fill all the spots. Who would lead off? Has Cabrera ever been a lead off guy before?

I don't think Cabrera will lead off... If Rowand comes back i think KW should make a strong push at Brian Roberts to be our leadoff/2B... Outbid the Cubs and then i think our team will be set.. .

What do you guys think it will take to get him?? If the Cubs are offering Gallagher and Murton, i think we can counter with Danks, Owens, and Uribe who can replace Tejada once they trade him...

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I don't think Cabrera will lead off... If Rowand comes back i think KW should make a strong push at Brian Roberts to be our leadoff/2B... Outbid the Cubs and then i think our team will be set.. .

What do you guys think it will take to get him?? If the Cubs are offering Gallagher and Murton, i think we can counter with Danks, Owens, and Uribe who can replace Tejada once they trade him...

I can't see Danks being part of a Roberts deal. Considering the "win now" mode that we are in, I think you'd see Gio or DLS go before Danks. I don't think Owens or Uribe has much trade value for the O's. If they are trading one of their premiere players, they don't want our trash.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
I can't see Danks being part of a Roberts deal. Considering the "win now" mode that we are in, I think you'd see Gio or DLS go before Danks. I don't think Owens or Uribe has much trade value for the O's. If they are trading one of their premiere players, they don't want our trash.

apparently we dont need to include Danks. The cubs are basically throwing a young arm and a nothing position prospect out for him. It looks like a deal we can easily top.

Sean Gallagher I believe is the spect they want to send. He is a 12th round reliever who didnt have much success in his short stint last season. He was a starter in the minors. He is ranked as the #5 prospect in the Cubs system. I believe the cubs have the 18th ranked system in the league. This is a guy who was ranked behind Samardzija last season. There is no doubt in my mind we may be able to beat their offer without putting Gio or DLS in the offer.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
apparently we dont need to include Danks. The cubs are basically throwing a young arm and a nothing position prospect out for him. It looks like a deal we can easily top.

Sean Gallagher I believe is the spect they want to send. He is a 12th round reliever who didnt have much success in his short stint last season. He was a starter in the minors. He is ranked as the #5 prospect in the Cubs system. I believe the cubs have the 18th ranked system in the league. This is a guy who was ranked behind Samardzija last season. There is no doubt in my mind we may be able to beat their offer without putting Gio or DLS in the offer.

Seems to be some sentiment that the Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno rumor was bs, and it would have to be Pie with Gallagher and another good prospect included. I just don't see Angelos trading Roberts.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)
Seems to be some sentiment that the Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno rumor was bs, and it would have to be Pie with Gallagher and another good prospect included. I just don't see Angelos trading Roberts.

Gallagher still isnt much, Pie maybe be a lighter hitting version of Corey Patterson, and dont think that many gm's dont know that by now. The rumor right now is that the offer was two players and after gallagher there was a disconnect. I would be interested to see where. I would gladly give up 4 5-10 ranked prospects out of our system for Roberts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Gallagher still isnt much, Pie maybe be a lighter hitting version of Corey Patterson, and dont think that many gm's dont know that by now. The rumor right now is that the offer was two players and after gallagher there was a disconnect. I would be interested to see where. I would gladly give up 4 5-10 ranked prospects out of our system for Roberts.

Me too, he'd be a great leadoff hitter. Heck, trade Richar for him in the package.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
Me too, he'd be a great leadoff hitter. Heck, trade Richar for him in the package.

Yup. I'd think a package of Richar, Broadway and Sweeney? Would that equal about what the cubs are offering? I know Bal wants OF'ers. I dont know all that much about our prospect rankings this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Yup. I'd think a package of Richar, Broadway and Sweeney? Would that equal about what the cubs are offering? I know Bal wants OF'ers. I dont know all that much about our prospect rankings this year.

No, that wouldn't be enough. They're going to want a stud minor league pitcher, so maybe Gio, Richar, and Sweeney for Roberts. I just don't think Angelos will trade his golden boy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)

There's gotta be more interest for Roberts than just the Chicago teams. Our 5-10 prospects are the some of the worst 5-10 prospects in the league. I believe BA rated us 28th. Baltimore should be able to get at least 1 impact prospect for Roberts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)

I think you have to include Gio in a deal for Roberts. The Orioles are notoriously tough to deal with and have no problem holding onto their star players if not overwhelmed during trade talks. I just don't think Angelos will allow McPhail to trade the current face of his franchise without getting at least 1 damn good prospect back in the deal. Substitute Gio for Broadway and I think you may be onto something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
No, that wouldn't be enough. They're going to want a stud minor league pitcher, so maybe Gio, Richar, and Sweeney for Roberts. I just don't think Angelos will trade his golden boy.

Then the Gallagher reports cannot be true, because that kid is not a stud pitcher in any way, shape, or form. If they want us to blow them away in an offer, Gio will trump a majority of what the cubs are willing to offer.

Quick edit:

Gallagher isnt ANYWHERE on the top 50 prospects list. The cubs #1 guy is ranked 30 while Gio is ranked #24. Gallagher is their 5th ranked spect, does he even fall in the top 100?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
Then the Gallagher reports cannot be true, because that kid is not a stud pitcher in any way, shape, or form. If they want us to blow them away in an offer, Gio will trump a majority of what the cubs are willing to offer.

Quick edit:

Gallagher isnt ANYWHERE on the top 50 prospects list. The cubs #1 guy is ranked 30 while Gio is ranked #24. Gallagher is their 5th ranked spect, does he even fall in the top 100?

No. Gallagher will not be in the top 100 at least on BA's list. BA puts his ceiling at a #3 SP and compares him to Jon Lieber. The problem is, he's better than anyone besides Gio/DLS in our system. So either the O's take a lesser prospect than Gallagher and an extra prospect, or we have to give up Gio/DLS.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
No. Gallagher will not be in the top 100 at least on BA's list. BA puts his ceiling at a #3 SP and compares him to Jon Lieber. The problem is, he's better than anyone besides Gio/DLS in our system. So either the O's take a lesser prospect than Gallagher and an extra prospect, or we have to give up Gio/DLS.

You think hes ranked higher than Poreda and Broadway?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
You think hes ranked higher than Poreda and Broadway?

Broadway most definitely. Poreda is close. Depends on whether the O's believe he'll stick in the rotation or end up in the bullpen.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
Broadway most definitely. Poreda is close. Depends on whether the O's believe he'll stick in the rotation.

Makes sense. I really think Lance gets a rough rep for his pedestrian stuff, he looked MUCH better than Gallagher did in the majors albeit tiny sample sizes

Gallagher

14.2 8.59 ERA 3HR 2.11 WHIP 5k

Broadway

10.1 IP 0.87 ERA 0HR .97 WHIP 14k

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Makes sense. I really think Lance gets a rough rep for his pedestrian stuff, he looked MUCH better than Gallagher did in the majors albeit tiny sample sizes

Gallagher

14.2 8.59 ERA 3HR 2.11 WHIP 5k

Broadway

10.1 IP 0.87 ERA 0HR .97 WHIP 14k

Do you really see Broadway anything more than a 5th SP or swing man though? He going to have to overachieve greatly to be anything better, IMO.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Do you really see Broadway anything more than a 5th SP or swing man though? He going to have to overachieve greatly to be anything better, IMO.

Truth. He could be a surpriser, but who knows. I just dont think very much of Gallagher. Lance actually looked extremely good in his call up this year though. That could be an outlier, or his stuff could translate well to the majors. We will know more after this season IMO.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Truth. He could be a surpriser, but who knows. I just dont think very much of Gallagher. Lance actually looked extremely good in his call up this year though. That could be an outlier, or his stuff could translate well to the majors. We will know more after this season IMO.

Not comparing here, but who thought Buerhle would be a #1/#2 starter? He's not overpowering, etc. etc. etc. You know who he is. The thing people like about Danks is his toughness, which he showed at times last year. Broadway might not be overpowering, buthe might just have the toughness to be a #3?

He wouldn't be enough for Roberts, tho.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(toasty @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
is this the rowand thread or the roberts man-love thread?????

Roberts would be a HUGE piece to our puzzle. I guess thats why we are showing the "man love" for him. Since KW is in the 'win now' mode i say you do what it takes to get that leadoff hitter this team desperatley needs. Hell if Angelo finally realizes that his team cant compete with the big boys of the AL East for another 2-3 years why not get a couple of top prospects for him and try to rebuild the right way. I really hope KW is considering this....

Oh and as for the Rowand thread... it still is his thread... Nothing wrong with a little side tracking. Besides i dont think anybody on soxtalk would be upset if we bring in Rowand AND Roberts.