Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
Have you heard any news on Thabeet? Last i head Calhoun said he was 60/40 towards coming back for one more year. The BET and the NCAAs really hurt his draft stock
That situation has been the most shocking to me. He seems like a sure fire NBA lottery type guy with his size for the upcoming draft, but he seems to be inching further away from leaveing. I still will be surprised if he does not declare and take on an agent.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

draftexpress.com (don't know how reliable that sourse is) is reporting that Lawson has decided to return to Carolina. There are also some reports from them that Tyler & Danny Greene of all people have decided to test the waters without an agent, but in an interview on WRAL radio in North Carolina Tyler said that he is still very much undecided at this point.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
I know there are plenty of illini fans here. finishline.com has a Nike deron williams Illini Jersey (stitched) for 19.99 normally $80 plus there are plenty of coupon codes if you know how to use google

I just purchased one.

You mean you do not want your Chester Frazier licensed jerseys??

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
Now it seems Wayne and Ty Lawson are returning and Tyler will test the waters. Can't say I blame him.
It makes sense. He seems conflicted, and the fact that he is already 23 years old may also play a bit into his ultimate decision. Hell most talented players are in their 4th season and acclimated to the NBA by the time he'll be just entering the draft, if he waits another year.

Lawson declares, but does not take an agent. Ellington and the national player of the year should make an announcement shortly now. It seems like if Lawson can get the guarenteed first round money he will take it. The pre draft camps will be vital for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 1, 2008 -> 04:56 PM)
I feel bad now for ragging on Chris Lofton as much as I did saying how bad he played last year.

Same here. I wonder if this will help his draft status at all with NBA scouts now knowing the reason for his slip in production the first half of the season

Freeman is leaving Iowa. That doesn't make any sense to me because he is going to be a senior. There isn't a major program in the country that is going to want to tie up a scholarship for two years for him to play one for them. So he basically is leaving Iowa to sit out a year, and then play for just one year at another program that likely will not be in a major conference.

As frustrating as all of this is, I can honestly say that I am happy that IU is leaving the Kelvin Sampson era behind very quickly. Apparently more than half the team was in academic trouble even before Sampson left. The next few years will be a struggle, but I believe in what Crean is doing. When they make the turnaround complete, I believe IU basketball will be back to where it should be. That is a program run clean with players that have class and a true respect for the program and the game itself, all while competing for Big Ten Championships regularly and every few years competing at the very highest level in the Tournament.

It's a tall hill to climb, but part of me thinks it is just best to clean house and start over, leaving the Sampson era behind.

Well, Bruce Pearl kicked Ramar Smith and Duke Crews off the team today. Not sure why yet, but I'm sure it's drug-test failure related. This hurts as both Sophomores were former 5-star recruits that may not have exactly lived up to their potential yet, but showed flashes and would have been a big help to next year's team. Oh well, Scotty Hopson, Renaldo Woolridge, and Daniel West are gonna have some big shoes to fill as freshman next year.

And what the hell is wrong with so many big time student athletes that they can't give up smoking some weed, and risk getting kicked off the team? It's just not worth it.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ May 3, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
How is Woolridge, we just got his brother.

Well, I couldn't tell you much since I haven't seen him play before. But, from all I've read on Rivals he's very long and athletic, and is his best creating shots off the dribble. He's definitely a fast, open court game type of kid who (like most high schoolers) needs to get stronger. If Royce is much like his brother, you got a very good player.

Coach Crean not done with his 2008 class just yet. He just bagged Verdell Jones, PG from Champaign, one of the top unsigned 2008 prospects. Jones ranked #127 in the 2008 class by Rivals. That makes 5 commits in the short time Crean has been at IU to go along with Roth, Pritchard, and Elston. Well done Tom.

Edited by sircaffey