Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
I almost went all chalk for the most part just because most of these teams are seeded pretty good this year.

I went outside of chalk for almost all Big 10 games because I dont believe that the Big 10 is as bad as people think.

So you have 3 or 4 Big ten teams in the sweet 16? Wow.

At work there are 3 entries with Wisconsin winning the whole tournament (1 is my upset bracket).

The majority have UCLA v UNC, which is what I have in my competition bracket.

As for the picks, i dont know its just based on match ups and how I perceive conferences. I downgraded most Big 12 teams because I felt the conference was weaker than people thought. Purdue over Xavier isnt a huge upset and Purdue over Duke would be, but the way both of those teams play I just feel Purdue may win and since I had both losing to UCLA i figured id take the shot.

MSU the only upset is over Pitt and they play very similar styles and MSU just has been inconsistent. If they play like they can they can beat anyone (see Texas and UCLA games), in my upset bracket I have them over Memphis. I just like Izzo and the way his teams play in the tourney.

It could burn me, but I watch the games all season Im not going to just believe in experts. (Also accuscore predictions have most of the games close. ie Wisconsin is a favorite with the computers of Georgetown, so the only real upset would be over Kansas, which the comps still had them at 40% chance.)

Its just no fun unless you take some risks and represent your conference ;)

Edited by Soxbadger

Here is a piece on Gordon from the blog of Terry Hutchens, the Indianapolis Star's IU beat writer. I think it is fair.

What happened to Eric Gordon? Was his wrist hurt worse than was let on, or was that just a crutch? Did officials call things differently and let teams get away with more physical play with him when he drove to the basket, or does he simply need to be tougher? Was his propensity for turning over the basketball more rooted with him or with other players who couldn't catch up with his quick decisions? And what about his shot? Is he that fragile? I've seen a lot of players goe through shooting slumps in 10 seasons covering the Hoosiers. A.J. Guyton, Luke Recker, Bracey Wright, Rod Wilmont, even Lance Stemler his first season in particular. But I've never seen a player of Gordon's ability not be able to shake something like the slump he was in. And the crazy part is that you would watch him in practice and he never missed. But when he shot the same shot in games, he could never knock it down. And I don't think it was about defense. He was shooting open shots in practice, and the last five or six games he had the same open looks in games. Dakich made it a point to say after the game Friday that while Gordon did struggle some at the end that Indiana fans should celebrate the things he did early to help this team win 25 games. Perhaps, but I think most IU fans would trade all of those big games against the likes of Chattanooga, UNC Wilmington, Illinois State or Western Carolina for a meaningful game down the stretch any time. When the bright lights came on, that's when Gordon should have been ready for prime time. I was in the elevator at my hotel early Saturday morning and talking with someone who had just watched Gordon play for the first time in person. And his assessment may have been very telling. He said that to him that Gordon just looked like he didn't want to be there Friday night. If that's the case, he probably wasn't alone.

I thought it sounded stupid,

After watching MSU handle Pitt the Big East Tourney Champ you didnt hear MSU saying "Well Pitt was like a Penn State or Illinois, probably shouldnt have been in the tournament."

I hate Duke, but when you beat them you show class and rub it in their face. You dont act like them.

Also, what a joke the ACC has proven to be. They have yet to put a team into the second weekend(Although will more than likely do that tonight). Yes, I realize they are number 1 in terms of RPI, but, and I believe it was 101 who said it first, you are in trouble when Miami is your fourth best team.

As for this game, somebody is going to get seriously hurt with the gigantic NCAA logos on the floors. I have seen at least 7 different players take hard falls because of that crap. I guess the NCAA would rather it be known for sure who's runnin the tourney over protecting the players best interest. Gotta love it.

Edited by Palehosefan