Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Considering none of those could be proven to be a violation and that reason was brought up as a possibility, I'd say it's very likely that the numbers called matched up with that situation. Can I say all of them? Nope

Look, I am an avid IU fan and I am not happy with what has happened. But all of the crap I have been reading makes me want to defend it even though that is not what I am thinking. It would just be nice if people wouldn't cherry pick the info out there (half of which is untrue or unproven) to prove a point that is ridiculous.

Call me an idiot if you will, but when looking at Sampson's 10 phone calls, it is not that hard to believe his story. If he was a cheater or felt he was above the law, it sure as hell seems like there would have been more than 10 calls in a whole year! Call him sloppy or stupid, but from everything I have read (reporters who dealt with him all year, coaches and recruits) he was doing everything the right way. They talked about how difficult it was to get ahold of him sometimes because they could not get through and he couldn't call them back.

Now the other calls, I can't defend. There isn't much detail out there about them, so I will wait until more info is out before I get my panties in a wad over them, but I certainly am not liking the possibilities there.

I very much try not to overreact to situations and wait for all the information to come out. I am doing so here the best I can. I don't want anyone to think I am in Sampson's corner by any means. But forgive me if I defend some of the BS that flies around the media and the internet based on limited, cherry-picked or false information.

Fair enough

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Marquette's new jerseys. Thoughts? I like the checkerred pattern with the blue but I'm only lukewarm on the whites.

Also, can anyone confirm that Shumpert is going to announce at 5:30 tomorrow?

Those new uniforms look a little like DePaul with the side checkers. Last I heard is Shumpert is anounceing today so we will see.

Talking to some friends down in Champaign, I've been told that Rodney Alexander reminds the staff a lot of Wilson Chandler, who like Alexander is a wing player from Benton Harbor, Michigan (although now he's in the NBA of course). Then again, that makes sense since Chandler and Alexander are cousins, anyways Rodney is a bit raw but has a ton of talent. Also, Mike Tisdale is up to about 7'1" and 220 to 225 pounds, and if he can continue to maintain and gradually gain weight as he has been for about a year now, he could see quite a bit of PT this year because of his ability to score points.

In addition, you might see quite a bit of Demetri McCamey and Chester Frazier on the floor at the same time to aid ball movement in the motion offense, and Mike Davis from the T.C. Williams (Remember The Titans!!) is improving rapidly, and might see some PT this year due to his athleticism and size (6'9" with a wingspan of 7'3" and a 38 inch vertical leap, but only 190 pounds). Redshirts are going to be decided after the O&B scrimmage, and there is a chance that the only redshirts this year will be Jamar and Bill Cole, who is VERY skinny and has had some nagging minor injuries this summer and into the fall.

As for those Marquette jerseys, I REALLY like the new home jersey, and although the road ones aren't ugly or anything, the color scheme just doesn't fit with what I think of when I think Marquette with the light blue. But then again, I'm only 21 so what do I know.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(farmteam @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm still getting used to this whole college thing -- I think it's really neat when I walk out of my door and Eli Holman is standing right there, as happened last night. He was a nice guy, all smiles.

it'll get even better. wait until your pulling bongs with him.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
it'll get even better. wait until your pulling bongs with him.
Luke Harengody will miss the first 6 games or so for Notre Dame, with a thumb injury. He had an impressive freshman year, and I work with his uncle, so I wish him the best in his recovery. The Irish will miss his presence at the start of the year.

Nothing on scout or anything about the details. Guess we will be seeing a lot of Hughes and Bohannon, some people are saying it might not be for the year because an article said "temporarily". I have no idea, but guard has the least depth of any Wisconsin position, so this could be tough.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 25, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Glad to see Martin Zeno on there as well, he should have a big year. All 12 of us TTU basketball fans appreciate it.

There's at least 16 of you, cmon. :P

Anyways, Memphis is playing SLU in an exhibition game, interesting...

And it begins...

2007 USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. North Carolina

2. UCLA

3. Memphis

4. Kansas

5. Georgetown

6. Louisville

7. Tennessee

8. Michigan State

9. Indiana

10. Washington State

11. Duke

12. Marquette

13. Oregon

14. (tie) Gonzaga

14. (tie) Texas A&M

16. Texas

17. Arizona

18. Southern California

19. Arkansas

20. Pittsburgh

21. Stanford

22. Kentucky

23. Southern Illinois

24. North Carolina State

25. Villanova

Others receiving votes: Kansas State (23-12) 94; Syracuse (24-11) 69; Ohio State (35-4) 65;

Clemson (25-11) 56; Connecticut (17-14) 55; Butler (29-7) 42; Davidson (29-5) 39; Xavier (25-9) 38;

Alabama (20-12) 31; Mississippi State (21-14) 30; Florida (35-5) 26; Wisconsin (30-6) 21;

Illinois (23-12) 16; Brigham Young (25-9) 12; Washington (19-13) 12; Nevada (29-5) 8; Bradley (22-13) 7;

Virginia (21-11) 7; Virginia Commonwealth (28-7) 5; Utah (11-19) 4; Baylor (15-16) 3; Old Dominion (24-9) 3;

Saint Joseph’s (18-14) 3; Fresno State (22-10) 2; George Mason (18-15) 2; Utah State (23-12) 2;

California (16-17) 1; Maryland (25-9) 1; Notre Dame (24-8) 1.

Glad to see us in the top 25 to start the season, doesn't mean much but it's just more good pr for this program. Guess we have to knock off number 9 on December 1. :P

Not that I don't think UNC is a great team but imo Memphis and UCLA are the two best teams in the country.

Little surprised to see UCONN not crack the initial top 25...i really think they are gonna suprise people this year. They have tons of talent, its just that their top 10 guys last year were literally all sophomores and freshmen (mostly freshmen)

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

Not that I don't think UNC is a great team but imo Memphis and UCLA are the two best teams in the country.

I can see you still need some time with your therapist to get all of the Duke fan out of you. :-P. I can't see UCLA ahead of UNC, and I'm totally unbiased.

UCLA can match up pretty well with Collison, Shipp, Mbah a Moute, and Love. But even after Lawson, Ellington, Ginyard, and Hansbrough UNC just outclasses them with experienced depth. Really depends what style the game would come down to. If UCLA could slow it down, they could win, but if UNC can push it then it's over.

Still, you wouldn't find a more fun matchup to watch than Love/Hansbrough and Collison/Lawson. I would bet a decent amount of money that Love and Hansbrough would get into a fight.

I honestly think you could go 1a. UNC, 1b. Memphis, 1c. UCLA. All 3 have their reasoning and tournament success to back it up. UNC actually has the least amount of tourney success in the past 2 years of the group, and they were beat by final four George Mason and final four Georgetown. I'm really getting tired of George.

As for Duke, there's no reasoning for putting them ahead of NC State. State has a ridiculous amount of talent in the frontcourt, Gavin Grant and Courtney Fells as double digit scorers on the wins, and newcomer Farnold Degand(sorry Heads) set to take over at PG.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
I can see you still need some time with your therapist to get all of the Duke fan out of you. :-P. I can't see UCLA ahead of UNC, and I'm totally unbiased.

UCLA can match up pretty well with Collison, Shipp, Mbah a Moute, and Love. But even after Lawson, Ellington, Ginyard, and Hansbrough UNC just outclasses them with experienced depth. Really depends what style the game would come down to. If UCLA could slow it down, they could win, but if UNC can push it then it's over.

Still, you wouldn't find a more fun matchup to watch than Love/Hansbrough and Collison/Lawson. I would bet a decent amount of money that Love and Hansbrough would get into a fight.

I honestly think you could go 1a. UNC, 1b. Memphis, 1c. UCLA. All 3 have their reasoning and tournament success to back it up. UNC actually has the least amount of tourney success in the past 2 years of the group, and they were beat by final four George Mason and final four Georgetown. I'm really getting tired of George.

As for Duke, there's no reasoning for putting them ahead of NC State. State has a ridiculous amount of talent in the frontcourt, Gavin Grant and Courtney Fells as double digit scorers on the wins, and newcomer Farnold Degand(sorry Heads) set to take over at PG.

I can't argue with any of that to be honest. Still, if I were ranking the teams I'd have Memphis at 1, UCLA at 2 and UNC at 3(obviously at number 3 UNC has no shot at winning the National Championship :P ). Obviously it's just my opinion but I love how UCLA looks right now, with Love they can basically slot everyone down a spot(mata 4, moute 3, ship 2, collison staying at the point) and they also have that inside scoring threat that they've been lacking the last two years. Definitely agree about the tempo, if these two match up some time in March whoever can make the other play at their speed will win.