Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

God, f*** the NCAA. ISU starting SG Lucca Staiger is ineligible for his freshman season because the club team he played on in Germany had two paid players that the team signed. Staiger did not get any compensation.

What a dick move.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but I like Kansas quite a bit, maybe even #1 (toss-up between them and UNC IMO), but I can see why they're at #4 between the injuries to Rush and Arthur (that's obviously a big factor) and the choking in the tournament. If those two are healthy though they should be tough, eventually if you have enough talent you can overcome iffy coaching. Rush and Arthur are both lottery-type talents, Chalmers-Collins-Robinson is a pretty solid guard trio, Kaun and Jackson can both give you productive minutes, and then you still have Cole Aldrich, a very talented recruit, to add to the equation.

I'm also personally not all that thrilled with Memphis. Sure, Roberts and Rose are impressive, but they often relied on jumpers last year even though they're not a great shooting team and don't seem to consistently get easy shots against better teams. Dozier and Dorsey are good but not great inside (well, at least on offense, D is pretty solid), and Anderson and Allen aren't exactly super-impressive either. I guess there's Mack and Kemp as well, though the latter needs to be more efficient. From what I saw last year, Rose is going to need to have a huge impact for them to hang with those other top teams, which is possible but remains to be seen.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)
I'm liking Memphis this year. Derrick Rose is perfect for them, and he'll be winning FotY.

Won't OJ Mayo be competing for that award as well?

Speaking of which, how's USC looking besides Mayo? I hate to say it, but I'm kind of ignorant to the Pac 10 and their going-ons.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 10:19 AM)
God, f*** the NCAA. ISU starting SG Lucca Staiger is ineligible for his freshman season because the club team he played on in Germany had two paid players that the team signed. Staiger did not get any compensation.

What a dick move.

And yet they'll probably give Sampson and Indiana a little slap on the pee-pee for blatently breaking the rules....AGAIN.

Myles Brand will be ripped a new one if Sampson and Indiana get off scott-free.

Anyway...another team that won't be nearly as bad as they usually are....ASU (Illini's first opponent in Maui).

Harden, McMillan and Boateg (Duke transfer)...to go along with Polk and Pendergraph. Not a bad team and will surprise some people in the Pac 10 this year IMO.

Edited by Wanne

USC looks good talent wise, but they have a few "characters" on the team and Mayo has already hurt one of his teammates. I see them self-destructing.

This is going to be another freshmen class where everyone is drooling over Mayo, Love, Rose, Gordon, Singler, Beasley, Bayless, Nick Calathes etc.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
I honestly think you could go 1a. UNC, 1b. Memphis, 1c. UCLA. All 3 have their reasoning and tournament success to back it up. UNC actually has the least amount of tourney success in the past 2 years of the group, and they were beat by final four George Mason and final four Georgetown. I'm really getting tired of George.

You don't play George Washington, Georgia Tech, Georgia, Georgia State or Georgia Southern this year, do you?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Won't OJ Mayo be competing for that award as well?

Speaking of which, how's USC looking besides Mayo? I hate to say it, but I'm kind of ignorant to the Pac 10 and their going-ons.

It is hands down the best basketball conference in the country this year. UCLA is loaded and will win the national championship and you have 5 other teams (not named UCLA) that should be in the top 25.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
I just want to say that I f***ing hate the Indiana Hoosiers, possibly more than any basketball team in the country.

Why? Which recruit did we "steal" from your team? Haha, can't wait til San Antonio!!!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
No recruit...I just hate the Hoosiers. I also hate the Illini, but I hate IU more.

C'mon Jason, join us on the dark side. It's a ton of fun and we're gonna have a great year, whether everyone else wants to whine about some stupid 3-way calls or not.

Go Hoosiers!!

The unauthorized Big Ten basketball writers' preseason poll for today's media day:

Rk. School Pts.

1. Mich. St. (18) 237

2. Indiana (4) 218

3. Ohio State 188

4. Wisconsin 174

5. Purdue 146

6. Illinois 139

7. Penn State 94

8. Michigan 89

9. Minnesota 84

10. Iowa 51

11. Northwestern 32

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 28, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)
The unauthorized Big Ten basketball writers' preseason poll for today's media day:

Rk. School Pts.

1. Mich. St. (18) 237

2. Indiana (4) 218

3. Ohio State 188

4. Wisconsin 174

5. Purdue 146

6. Illinois 139

7. Penn State 94

8. Michigan 89

9. Minnesota 84

10. Iowa 51

11. Northwestern 32

NU is going to be REALLY bad while Coble takes a leave of absence to be with his mother (undergoing cancer treatment).

three days!

ISU's starting lineup:

PG Bryan Petersen (6-1)

SG Wesley Johnson (6-7)

SF Rahshon Clark (6-6)

PF Craig Brackins (6-10)

PF Alex Thompson (6-10)

Backup PG Diante Garrett is 6-5. Big lineup to start the year.

Lots of rumors that there will be significant trouble announced for the IU basketball program tomorrow, and I guess Devin Ebanks AAU Coach has hinted towards both sanctions and Roe not going to IU. I am not as in tune on this story since it's not Illinois, but it sounds bad.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
Lots of rumors that there will be significant trouble announced for the IU basketball program tomorrow, and I guess Delvon Roe's (I believe that is his name) AAU Coach has hinted towards both sanctions and Roe not going to IU. I am not as in tune on this story since it's not Illinois, but it sounds bad.

Roe is committed to MSU so yeah, I've pretty sure he isn't going to IU.