Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd sign with Bears

According to WSCR and Suntimes Marty signed a 2 yr deal with the Bears. Can one of the Admins change the title to Marty please?

BREAKING NEWS: Three days after losing Bernard Berrian to the Minnesota Vikings, the Bears have brought back a wide receiver they always have called their own. Marty Booker agreed to a two-year contract Tuesday night. Booker, who holds the single-season franchise record with 100 receptions in 2001, chose the Bears over the New England Patriots. The 10-year veteran was released by the Miami Dolphins last month and put his free-agent plans on hold while he explored a possible return to the Bears.

Edited by EvilJester99

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill take it .. for sure .. takes some pressure off the WR core .. still need to draft a WR (cough limas sweed) ... but I still think we trade down in the draft .. they wont want to give a bunch of money to an OL

I wonder how much Booker has left.

He's probably more of a move the chains guy at this stage of his career.

The Bears still need a speedy, gamebreaking wideout, and no I don't think Hester can develop into that guy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
The Bears still need a speedy, gamebreaking wideout, and no I don't think Hester can develop into that guy.

I agree. He's never struck me as the most intelligent player (or person), and it really helps to know what you're doing when running your routes.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 01:55 AM)
I mean a consistent WR who can give you 6-7 catches a game e.g a Bernard Berrian

Don't think Hester can do that.

I agree with you... Devin Hester is best used as a second-third option (albeit in an expanded role than the one he was in last year) where he can run simple routes, misdirections etc... and when his number is called to receive the ball... all he has to do is out run everyone and catch the ball.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:55 AM)
I mean a consistent WR who can give you 6-7 catches a game e.g a Bernard Berrian

Don't think Hester can do that.

Mark Bradley is probably the best bet at this point. Otherwise, I expect a WR chosen on day 1 in the draft.

I have the same feeling with this signing as I did when the sox signed Erstad.The team will try to push this as a significant signing but he isnt going to be a factor in the key stats such as catches and TD's which matters most.

They Do have 2 tight ends, at least one who is good at catching the ball. No reason he can't line up at one of the receiver spots once in a while, or just run 2 TE sets. Teams usually run in those, so you may get favorable matchups.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
I love how the Bears have lowered expectations so far that fans are getting excited about MARTY BOOKER. He's 32 and hasn't been worthwhile since the Bears traded him.

Seriously, if this is our #1, count me out.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
I have the same feeling with this signing as I did when the sox signed Erstad.The team will try to push this as a significant signing but he isnt going to be a factor in the key stats such as catches and TD's which matters most.

Both of you are mistaken. This is a piece to replace Moose Nothing More. Would you rather overpay for Berrian that would put the Bears in Salary Cap Hell for the next 5 seasons? Don't forget , extensions for Tommie Harris and Devin Hester will be coming up. I'd rather not lose those 2 because of stupid spending.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 04:05 AM)
I wonder how much Booker has left.

He's probably more of a move the chains guy at this stage of his career.

sadly, i'm not sure that's going to happen. the wide receiver pool is thin at this point. d.j. hackett and bryant johnson are probably the best receivers, but neither fit the profile of a speedy gamebreaker. i do wonder if the bears try to take a flyer on brandon lloyd. he was horrible with washington but turner is obviously familiar with him from his time at illinois.

either way, i don't see a significant upgrade available for the bears at receiver. really i don't see many upgrades available at any position in the free agent market at this point. i think the best we can hope is to catch lightning in a bottle with someone. given the bears' overall problems evaluating offensive personnel, i'm not overly optimistic that can happen.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
Both of you are mistaken. This is a piece to replace Moose Nothing More. Would you rather overpay for Berrian that would put the Bears in Salary Cap Hell for the next 5 seasons? Don't forget , extensions for Tommie Harris and Devin Hester will be coming up. I'd rather not lose those 2 because of stupid spending.

OOOOOOOOH.So they are replacing an old and bad wide reciever with another old and bad wide reciever.They know hes awful also?Now I feel so much better about this.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
OOOOOOOOH.So they are replacing an old and bad wide reciever with another old and bad wide reciever.They know hes awful also?Now I feel so much better about this.

Booker is more athletic now than Moose is.

The Miami offense situation the past few years has been far worse than the Bears. No WR's or TE's were producing in that system down there.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:05 AM)

Ok. So lets throw 55 Million at a receiver like Javon Walker and Lose BOTH Tommie Harris and Devin Hester in the next 2 years. You seem like a rational thinker. This isn't baseball. Football has a Salary Cap.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
Ok. So lets throw 55 Million at a receiver like Javon Walker and Lose BOTH Tommie Harris and Devin Hester in the next 2 years. You seem like a rational thinker. This isn't baseball. Football has a Salary Cap.

When did I ever say throw 55 million at Walker?How about draft better and be more strategic in a trade with someone?Angelo is supposed to be a professional at making decisions like these and we wind up with not even a valid number 2 reciever let alone a number 1.I dont know,maybe he will draft a good one this year but history suggests otherwise.