If Pot Was Legal . . .

Texsox

66 members have voted

1. 1. What min age would be appropriate?

• Dude, I'm too baked to vote
  2. 2. Should it be the same for alcohol?

• Yes
    • No
    • Blazin'
  3. 3. Since it's not illegal, should parents be more strict if they catch their underage child smoking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the kid
    • My toe looks like a cheeto lol

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
Step back for a moment. Why are people taking cough medicine and why are they smoking pot? There is a difference in application which is probably relevant. Not too many are texting all their friends to take some Nyquil, but they are making invitations to get baked.

The first time I flew to Paris I took a triple dose of Nyquil because I have a hard time sleeping on a plane. I fell asleep while we were taxiing and I woke up when we were about 100 ft off the ground in Paris. I do it everytime now unless I can get to the front with those sleepers.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
I was just thinking that if pot was legal and alcohol was illegal, that the alcohol drinkers would be making similar arguments and comparisons to pot.

But may be we do not need to make available every escapism mood elevator in our society.

Alcohol has zero medicinal value and has not only horrifically higher impairment, but also can kill you in a short period of time. Alcohol kills people by stupidity and also by its chemical makeup.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Alcohol has zero medicinal value and has not only horrifically higher impairment, but also can kill you in a short period of time. Alcohol kills people by stupidity and also by its chemical makeup.

Alcohol is used to sterlize instruments.

But you are right, alcohol should be banned.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)

Oh, so you are talking about drinking rubbing alcohol? IN that case we should ban Sterno as well since thats the same chemical formula, and homeless people melt THAT down and drink it, true story.

Worse than, say. . . BLINDNESS?!?? HELLOOOO!!?

:)

I just got pack from picking up my pizza and on my way there and eldery couple in their Buick (typical) backed into the street blocking both lanes holding me in my spot for a good 10 second. They proceeded to drive 10 mph for 30 seconds, then 15 mph, and then 20, but never got any faster.

My point remains. At least a blind person knows better than to get on the road. :D

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Oh, so you are talking about drinking rubbing alcohol? IN that case we should ban Sterno as well since thats the same chemical formula, and homeless people melt THAT down and drink it, true story.

I hadn't really considered just how bad alcohol is, and use to think dry counties were kind of stupid, but you have opened my eyes. Thank you.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
A 42 year old woman I used to work with died a couple of days ago from liver and kidney disease brought on by alchollism. I really don't know what the real long-term health ramifications are for smoking weed, but it can't be worse than that.

Another reason why we should bring back prohibition.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:51 PM)
I hadn't really considered just how bad alcohol is, and use to think dry counties were kind of stupid, but you have opened my eyes. Thank you.

Ha, being dry would suck balls, its good when "regulated" which is about where I think pot could be in theory.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
90% of prescription drugs? Seems like we always need new antibiotics, cancers drugs, etc.

90% was an exaggeration, but a lot of prescription drugs don't cure anything, they help people cope with whatever they got, or make life easier. Pot does the exact same. Even if you think the physical benefits of pot are BS, you can't argue that the mental effects exist. Bored? Smoke pot. Now you're content.

Also I still don't understand why you don't like bringing alcohol into the argument. I mean, if you're seriously against alcohol being available, then ok. If not, alcohol is used as the base of comparison as its the only "legal" drug in the class we're talking about.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)

Why make this statement? It certainly seems like nothing more than baiting.

Unless I'm thinking it's sarcastic and you're actually serious...

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
Also I still don't understand why you don't like bringing alcohol into the argument. I mean, if you're seriously against alcohol being available, then ok. If not, alcohol is used as the base of comparison as its the only "legal" drug in the class we're talking about.

Because that comparison works both ways. As others have noticed, we allow alcohol, which is way worse than pot, so therefor we should also ban alcohol. It isn't logically more valid than buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Johnny's mom is letting him go.

For a wide range of reasons we have allowed certain things and banned others, do you really think they all fall in a nice neat hierarchy? Once we start placing them on some scale and making it fair, we need to throw out our entire system.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Because that comparison works both ways. As others have noticed, we allow alcohol, which is way worse than pot, so therefor we should also ban alcohol. It isn't logically more valid than buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Johnny's mom is letting him go.

For a wide range of reasons we have allowed certain things and banned others, do you really think they all fall in a nice neat hierarchy? Once we start placing them on some scale and making it fair, we need to throw out our entire system.

Fair enough, but our entire legal system is based on the "buuuuttt your honor, jimmies judge told him that he could go out and play" logic. Precisely because things don't fit in a nice hierarchy we are forced to balance, weigh factors, and decide between course X and Y. It's a perfectly plausable, and logical, argument to use societies history of accepting alcohol as a legal drug to make the point that others should also be legal.

Edit: And I totally agree that our "logic" behind making some of those determinations are often mindless and completely arbitrary.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
Fair enough, but our entire legal system is based on the "buuuuttt your honor, jimmies judge told him that he could go out and play" logic. Precisely because things don't fit in a nice hierarchy we are forced to balance, weigh factors, and decide between course X and Y. It's a perfectly plausable, and logical, argument to use societies history of accepting alcohol as a legal drug to make the point that others should also be legal.

Edit: And I totally agree that our "logic" behind making some of those determinations are often mindless and completely arbitrary.

All good points. And I don't necessarily disagree with them. Perhaps this becomes more an issue of strategy?

If we did go down that path, and use the comparisons between marijuana laws and alcohol, would it not be equally logical to conclude that we should ban alcohol, just like we ban marijuana?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
If we did go down that path, and use the comparisons between marijuana laws and alcohol, would it not be equally logical to conclude that we should ban alcohol, just like we ban marijuana?

stop with the crazy talk already.

:drink :drink :drink Alcohol Is Your Friend :drink :drink :drink

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
stop with the crazy talk already.

:drink :drink :drink Alcohol Is Your Friend :drink :drink :drink

Yes it is, I've even forgiven it for the whole "set me up with my first wife" episode :lol:

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 03:12 PM)
Victimless crime. Legalize it along with prostitution, hard drugs, gambling, ticket scalping etc. Its ridiculous how much we pay in taxes to imprison marijuana offenders.

I am extremely in favor of legalized pot, but as of right now, its not a victimless crime as alot of the proceeds from sales go to terrorist groups and third world countries war mongers.

I am extremely in favor of legalized pot, but as of right now, its not a victimless crime as alot of the proceeds from sales go to terrorist groups and third world countries war mongers.

So does a lot of illegal merchandise. Should we ban World of Warcraft because of Chinese gold farmers (basically people forced to play the stupid game 12 hours+ a day justt getting gold that the bosses will sell for real money to US players) Get rid of DVD players. If we don't have any players there will be no bootleg market.

Of course if you are smoking your own home grown weed you completely eliminate the black market.

The same thing happened during the prohibition. Al Capone along with other gangsters made bank from smuggling in alcohol.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 04:39 PM)
So does a lot of illegal merchandise. Should we ban World of Warcraft because of Chinese gold farmers (basically people forced to play the stupid game 12 hours+ a day justt getting gold that the bosses will sell for real money to US players) Get rid of DVD players. If we don't have any players there will be no bootleg market.

Of course if you are smoking your own home grown weed you completely eliminate the black market.

The same thing happened during the prohibition. Al Capone along with other gangsters made bank from smuggling in alcohol.

Yes, would should ban World of Warcraft, but just to eliminate nerdery...........

Growing ones own weed would be awesome if it were legal.

Yes, would should ban World of Warcraft, but just to eliminate nerdery...........

Growing ones own weed would be awesome if it were legal.

Check out the laws in Alaska.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4522

Possession of less than 25 plants is protected under the Alaska Constitution’s right to privacy (See Ravin v. Alaska). Possession of 25 or more marijuana plants is “Misconduct involving a controlled substance in the fourth degree” and is punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 or five years in prison.
Edited by santo=dorf