Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Given his size/weight and tendency to burn calories fast he needs to intake more than just lean protein, he needs to increase his fat intake, too, or he's never going to see much size increase.

True, I was just trying to make a point that its easier to buy the protein even if its somewhat expensive. For someone of that body type I recommend muscle milk since it had a pretty good fat content.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 30, 2009 -> 11:47 AM)
Given his size/weight and tendency to burn calories fast he needs to intake more than just lean protein, he needs to increase his fat intake, too, or he's never going to see much size increase.

How does intaking more fat result in muscle gain? Does more fat along with more protein work better than less fat andw more protein? I thought fat was just bad.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 31, 2009 -> 01:17 AM)
How does intaking more fat result in muscle gain? Does more fat along with more protein work better than less fat andw more protein? I thought fat was just bad.

There are different types of fat, for example mono/poly unsaturated fats (found in nuts, canola/olive/peanut oils, etc.) are good, while saturated animal fat/trans fat is bad. Omega3 Fat, commonly found in salmon, is also good. Now keep in mind, intake of saturated fat is only bad if you overdo it, just like anything, and it also depends on your specific circumstance. I wouldn't recommend a overweight person increase fat intake, but I would recommend it to a person who cannot keep weight on, but again, in moderation.

Now, when I recommend things to people when it comes to fitness/diet it's based on what I know of that specific person, this is why generalized diets never work long term. Since everyone is different every diet should be slightly different in order to be optimal for that person. In addition to that, you have to take into account what they're trying to accomplish, such as body fat loss, muscle gain, etc. I assumed a few things in my recommendation above. First, I'm assuming he's a ecto-frame, meaning he has very little body fat, slender muscular structure, and more of a wirey type of build. These types tend to burn more calories than they intake, so their body fat stores remain low. He wants to put on muscle so the idea here is to load up on carbs/protein AND fat, considering his metabolism is going to burn 95% of it -- so the goal here is for that other 5% to linger, because it's whats going to add that mass he's looking for. Where for myself, I'd recommend 6 egg whites for protein supplementation, for him I'd say 4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs (with yolk), because the added fat will do him good in trying to add mass.

I'm glad we're discussing weight gain, because I'm definitely in that mind set now. I'm interested in being a police officer, and one of the requirements for applicants is to pass a POWER exam. It consists of the following tests: bench, sit and reach, mile and half run, sit ups. Within my age range, as a male, I have to bench 98% of my weight; sit and reach a point one inch past my toes; do 37 sit ups in a minute; and run a mile and half in 13:46. I can't pass the bench or run at this point. So, basically I have to run enough to heighten my endurance, yet simultaneously gain enough muscle to lift my weight. I'm 6'2, 185 and have enough problems gaining weight without cardio. Awesome. I figure I'll do what some of you suggested and buy a whey protein supplement to add to my meals.

Yeah, and I was watching ALI last night and really would like to know Will Smith's routine to bulk up. Obviously it's beneficial to be a millionaire who has the time and luxury to have the perfect meals and workout routines available. Although it's almost hard to believe he was 220 pounds for that role. He looked 20-30 pounds heavier than that. I found one website where they talked about him training for six hours several days a week, including running three miles. I can only imagine the type of food he had to eat to pull that off.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
I have a similar issue as above. I am a runner (20-25 miles per week) and also cannot keep weight on. I'm currently 6'1" 160 pounds. My goal is to add 10-15 pounds of muscle. I lift 3 days a week, run the other 4 and have been doing so for about a month now with minimal results. Any ideas as to ways... other than the almighty and all expensive protein which I currently drink after every workout... to add muscle?

Does anyone have any ideas as to websites that might be able to give me a better plan?

And for the record, a trainer is right out. I use the gym at my apartment complex and am definitely not willing to pay the money for a trainer.

Thanks.

Figure, conservatively, that you burn 100 calories per mile. You're going to have to eat enough to compensate for the 500 you burnt off running just to remain your current weight, and then an additional amount of surplus calories on top of that if you have a slim body type (which you seem to have).

I don't have a plan, but I guarantee what any fitness website would say is either cut down on your cardio or completely eliminate it for now. If what you're doing right now isn't working, something has to change -- and it's probably going to have to be the running. Concentrate on bulking up and gaining muscle since you're wasting precious calories on running. Then, once you've reached your desired weight, cut it down.

Another idea that comes to mind is HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's where you go all out and sprint for an extended period of time, then stop, then resume running at full speed again. It's recommended for losing fat but maintaining muscle. Personally, I tried it but found it was difficult to keep with because it's really tough on my legs.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 04:09 AM)
I'm glad we're discussing weight gain, because I'm definitely in that mind set now. I'm interested in being a police officer, and one of the requirements for applicants is to pass a POWER exam. It consists of the following tests: bench, sit and reach, mile and half run, sit ups. Within my age range, as a male, I have to bench 98% of my weight; sit and reach a point one inch past my toes; do 37 sit ups in a minute; and run a mile and half in 13:46. I can't pass the bench or run at this point. So, basically I have to run enough to heighten my endurance, yet simultaneously gain enough muscle to lift my weight. I'm 6'2, 185 and have enough problems gaining weight without cardio. Awesome. I figure I'll do what some of you suggested and buy a whey protein supplement to add to my meals.

Yeah, and I was watching ALI last night and really would like to know Will Smith's routine to bulk up. Obviously it's beneficial to be a millionaire who has the time and luxury to have the perfect meals and workout routines available. Although it's almost hard to believe he was 220 pounds for that role. He looked 20-30 pounds heavier than that. I found one website where they talked about him training for six hours several days a week, including running three miles. I can only imagine the type of food he had to eat to pull that off.

My brother is a police officer, so are many in my family, and in speaking of this test, you will have an easier time passing the running/bench/stretch than you will passing the sit-up test, even if you know for a fact you can do that many. I'll get back to this later.

Now, if you want to increase your power for bench pressing, just do regular old push-ups. If you do them properly, your chest should get tired as well as your triceps/arms. Try to visualize your chest muscles working when you do push-ups, do them slowly and evenly, and you should have an easier time feeling it as a push-up is the same exercise as a bench press. Do that every few days, like three sets of 15 push-ups to start, then up it to 20, then 25, and do this over a span of weeks, I.E. don't do it everyday, you need to give your chest/arm muscles time to recover properly.

Now, getting back to the police test, the hardest test to pass is the sit-up test, because there is no definitive measurement, allow me to explain. When you do bench press, you either did it or you didn't. When you run, you either beat the time or you didn't. When you bend over to touch an inch past, you either do or you don't. But, and this is the kicker, when you do the sit-up test, it's completely up to your test giver to say whether a specific sit-up counted or not. They failed my brother 2 times on this exam before he finally got passed by the third instructor, and let's not even get into why, I'll leave it up to your imagination.

A few things happened to him:

First time, he was doing the sit-ups and 15 seconds in, she says, "none of these are counting, you aren't going down far enough", so he stops and says, "well am I going down far enough now?!" To which she responds, "Yes, but you're time is almost out."

You will deal with douche bags like this in the testing center, so be VERY nice, because the sit-up tester can do whatever the hell they want in deciding you pass or fail.

Second time, different instructor, much more of the same. You see what I'm getting at? It's up to them to count a sit-up or not, and believe me, nepotism exists. If one of those b****es has a group of friends in that exam class, and they are only hiring so many police, your odds of failing just went up. That's reality. So my advice is be VERY nice, ask questions BEFORE they begin the time, because they won't pause it for you after it's started, and make sure you go ALL the way down and back up when doing that part of the test.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:54 AM)
There is zero percent chance in hell I could sit and reach past my toes, thats such a dumb fitness test.

It's actually really easy to do this. There are some simple stretching exercises you can do right before you take that test and pass it -- these exercises allow you to do it for a span of minutes before you can't do it again. :D

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
My brother is a police officer, so are many in my family, and in speaking of this test, you will have an easier time passing the running/bench/stretch than you will passing the sit-up test, even if you know for a fact you can do that many. I'll get back to this later.

Now, if you want to increase your power for bench pressing, just do regular old push-ups. If you do them properly, your chest should get tired as well as your triceps/arms. Try to visualize your chest muscles working when you do push-ups, do them slowly and evenly, and you should have an easier time feeling it as a push-up is the same exercise as a bench press. Do that every few days, like three sets of 15 push-ups to start, then up it to 20, then 25, and do this over a span of weeks, I.E. don't do it everyday, you need to give your chest/arm muscles time to recover properly.

Now, getting back to the police test, the hardest test to pass is the sit-up test, because there is no definitive measurement, allow me to explain. When you do bench press, you either did it or you didn't. When you run, you either beat the time or you didn't. When you bend over to touch an inch past, you either do or you don't. But, and this is the kicker, when you do the sit-up test, it's completely up to your test giver to say whether a specific sit-up counted or not. They failed my brother 2 times on this exam before he finally got passed by the third instructor, and let's not even get into why, I'll leave it up to your imagination.

Many people fail the situps for another reason -- they'll train for months by starting with arms crossed, but when the test comes around they're required to lock hands behind their head and they're unable to do it. The placement of your hands a foot and a half higher makes a hell of a difference.

You're right though, test proctors require you to go all the way down. It's especially difficult to do this when you're being timed and know every second counts. Your brother would have loved testing at Alsip. It's the only physical agility test I have taken thus far, and the testing service responsible for overseeing the POWER test (this company is called C.O.P.S.) had applicants counting the sit ups of other applicants, out loud, while they were holding the other persons feet. Mind you, this is being done alongside 6/7 people simultaneously with only one proctor casually reminding people to go down all the way. I personally witnessed a few people add reps onto their score.

I believe the running test can be the most difficult of all, though. For the Alsip test, I left after not passing the bench; but if I had remained I would have had to run a mile and a half, in subzero temperatures, with the wind gusting. That's why for the last month I've been doing my best to run five days a week outside no matter what the condition. A buddy of mine told me of one horror story for the Orland Park police department that when he tested, they made applicants run out in a field after it had rained the previous night. This was in the summer, too; so the ground became muddy after several passes and soon enough people are slipping and sliding all over. The sweltering heat didn't help, either. The testing agency added some time onto their scores, but there still were a significant amount of people who failed. When you don't have proper traction below you, you'll run differently, and probably become a lot more tired exerting the energy to just stand up.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
I have a question about shaping.

How can I get more even, square pecs ? My pecs are pretty even, except for a gap at the bottom, near my sternum. I already use the a pec squeeze machine and dumbell flyes which are supposed to build the inner chest, right?

There is nothing you can do, that is simply how your muscle structure formed itself onto the breastplate from birth onward. Everyone has a slightly different pec look/formation because of the attachment points of their pectoral muscles. You can make them bigger, but from the sound of what you described, you'll never fill that gap, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
I have a question about shaping.

How can I get more even, square pecs ? My pecs are pretty even, except for a gap at the bottom, near my sternum. I already use the a pec squeeze machine and dumbell flyes which are supposed to build the inner chest, right?

your pectoralis major muscle is divided into two sections: a sternal component and a clavicular portion. The exercises you are doing work the clavicular portion as it goes straight side to side (medial to lateral). To get to the lower portion or the sternal posrtion you need to lift weight up out in front of you. This is usually done with incline or decline bench presses.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 12:43 PM)
your pectoralis major muscle is divided into two sections: a sternal component and a clavicular portion. The exercises you are doing work the clavicular portion as it goes straight side to side (medial to lateral). To get to the lower portion or the sternal posrtion you need to lift weight up out in front of you. This is usually done with incline or decline bench presses.

Always wondered why I spent the time doing both of those types of machines. Good to know.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 02:43 PM)

In my experience, decline presses have never been prooven to do much of anything. Incline presses only work the pec-minors (top half of the pectoralis), as their major target area, which he's not talking about. Not to dispute what you say, as you got the medial/lateral portion correct, but if I understood him correctly, what he's trying to do cannot be done because his muscles do not connect in that location in the proper fashion to give the look he's looking for.

If I could edit this down to text pictures, he has something like this: |_/\_| and he's looking for |_|_| -- correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I think he's looking to do. If I'm right, he has the |_/\_| shape simply because of how his pectorals are connected to the center of his breastplate, and there isn't anything he can do about that.

Edited by Y2HH

An earlier post mentioned Smith in Ali and how he got in shape... now let me make this 100% abundantly clear, I am NOT specifically talking about Smith in Ali because I have no clue how he did it, but many movie stars use steroids or other PEDs to get in shape for movies. AGAIN I AM NOT SINGLING OUT SMITH IN ALI

Also, aside from any PED use, this is their job. If any of us had lots of cash and endless time we would be able to workout and diet and max out our genetic potentials

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
In my experience, decline presses have never been prooven to do much of anything. Incline presses only work the pec-minors (top half of the pectoralis), as their major target area, which he's not talking about. Not to dispute what you say, as you got the medial/lateral portion correct, but if I understood him correctly, what he's trying to do cannot be done because his muscles do not connect in that location in the proper fashion to give the look he's looking for.

If I could edit this down to text pictures, he has something like this: |_/\_| and he's looking for |_|_| -- correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I think he's looking to do. If I'm right, he has the |_/\_| shape simply because of how his pectorals are connected to the center of his breastplate, and there isn't anything he can do about that.

Your diagrams are the right idea, except that mine are even narrower and pointier at the bottom, so when they get bulky, they kinda look like,...gulp... boobs.

I'll try decline presses again, they put a lot of stress and pain on my shoulders, so I've never really done them and you're right, most people say they're a waste of time. Dumbells or barbell?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 10:33 PM)
An earlier post mentioned Smith in Ali and how he got in shape... now let me make this 100% abundantly clear, I am NOT specifically talking about Smith in Ali because I have no clue how he did it, but many movie stars use steroids or other PEDs to get in shape for movies. AGAIN I AM NOT SINGLING OUT SMITH IN ALI

Also, aside from any PED use, this is their job. If any of us had lots of cash and endless time we would be able to workout and diet and max out our genetic potentials

Hmm, I never even considered PEDS but that's possible. If I had a move role which would guarantee me millions I'd be willing to speed up the process to look the part of Ali.

Here's a website I found earlier that references what he did in preparation for the role:

http://www.nowloss.com/will-smith-workout-...i-am-legend.htm

More interesting is the link available after his Ali bio: http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-gain-muscle-...t-same-time.htm

It gives you an estimate of the amount of calories you'd have to consume to gain weight, and additionally, offers suggestions for a workout routine.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:48 AM)
Your diagrams are the right idea, except that mine are even narrower and pointier at the bottom, so when they get bulky, they kinda look like,...gulp... boobs.

I'll try decline presses again, they put a lot of stress and pain on my shoulders, so I've never really done them and you're right, most people say they're a waste of time. Dumbells or barbell?

If you are going to do them, alternate barbell one week, dumbbells the next...you should be doing this now with all of your exercises to keep the muscles in shock -- if you repeat the same exercises every week you will plateau.

I did think of an alternative you could try last night, but it will require a cable machine. Does you're gym have one (I'm blanking on the gym name for this thing right now), you'd stand in the middle, usually there is a pullbar above, then 2 cable pulls on either side of you. If you have one of these available, what you can do is set the cable pulls to their low setting, grab one in each hand and take a step with one foot forward (for balance), and then left from underneath (keep your palms pointed at an angle upward like / \ when doing this), it should focus on the lower chest area. Do these slowly so you feel both positive and negative. Hopefully you know what exercise I'm talking about.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 1, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)

The incline will target the "lower" pectoralis more than the flys. The decline will as well but not as much as the incline.

The best exercise for the "lower" pecs that he is talking about is a variation of the pulley exercise you discussed. You pull the cable from above and pull it down in front of you and toward the mid-line. The only downfall is that it can be rough on the shoulders.

The "lower" or sternal part of the pectoralis major originates at the lower sternum and the lower ribs. It merges with the clavicular portion near the insertion which is on the humerus. So it has a line of pull which goes up and out from the lower sternum. This is why you need an exercise which goes either up or down and out in front of the body.

I know exactly the cable press you guys are describing. Your hands start near your armpits and you push down and away at the same time to where your hands meet in front of you near your waist line.

Some people twist the dumbells and cables inward (palms facing each other) does this help at all?

I've never heard of incline helping the lower pecs, interesting.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
Hmm, I never even considered PEDS but that's possible. If I had a move role which would guarantee me millions I'd be willing to speed up the process to look the part of Ali.

Here's a website I found earlier that references what he did in preparation for the role:

http://www.nowloss.com/will-smith-workout-...i-am-legend.htm

More interesting is the link available after his Ali bio: http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-gain-muscle-...t-same-time.htm

It gives you an estimate of the amount of calories you'd have to consume to gain weight, and additionally, offers suggestions for a workout routine.

PEDs? I've always suspected it from actors... see Edward Norton in 'American History X' and Rourke in 'The Wrestler', or that dude in '300'. I realize Rourke was a boxer, but he's also 175 years old now. No way he can bulk up that quickly.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 2, 2009 -> 11:59 AM)
PEDs? I've always suspected it from actors... see Edward Norton in 'American History X' and Rourke in 'The Wrestler', or that dude in '300'. I realize Rourke was a boxer, but he's also 175 years old now. No way he can bulk up that quickly.

I don't have a link at my side right now, but Rourke pretty much confirmed he did for The Wrestler. I don't want to post any specific things, but I've heard stuff that is stronger than message boards, one with a guy in a movie about Dragons.

Like I said before too, alot has to do with the money and time they have available, not every crazy transformation is due to PEDs, but ptac and other people on the board probably know what to look for to lean towards the notion that people used juice

Edited by SoxFan562004