swisher to lead off to start the season and play center

chisox2334

Swisher takes over at leadoff, center field

By Mark Gonzales - 7:01 p.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Manager Ozzie Guillen announced after Wednesday's 12-10 loss to Milwaukee that Nick Swisher will bat leadoff and play center field most of the time while Jerry Owens recovers from a small tear of the right adductor muscle.

Despite his lack of experience at the leadoff spot, Swisher welcomes the assignment. His high on-base percentage and ability to work deep counts made the decision easy for Guillen. Pablo Ozuna will remain the leadoff batter for Monday's season-opener against Cleveland because he's a lifetime .400 hitter (12-for-30) against C.C. Sabathia.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I wish it would stay that would permanently with Quentin in LF.

But BA certainly looks like the 4th OF now.

A Quentin / Ozuna platoon at LF I'd say until Owens is healthy. Then Swisher slides back over to LF.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
If Anderson is in the lineup with Swisher, and Anderson is playing LF, Ozzie deserves all the abuse he gets.

I agree with this.

Good lord is that retarded. The only conceivable scenario under which this is sane is if it's already decided with a high degree of certainty that Anderson will be traded, and that they want Swisher to get practice out there to hopefully preclude Owens from playing there on a regular basis. Sadly, I don't think that is the case. Even if it were the case, I still find the Anderson being traded part to be idiotic because no way we get more value than he is worth as a player on the field.

That is, unless Quentin is healthy and starting in LF beginning with opening day. But even still, I don't see how you don't give Anderson a chance, with his A)ability to play CF and B) his ability to play a great CF

Edited by Vance Law

How hard is it to go with an outfield of Swisher in LF, Anderson in CF, and Dye in RF (with Quentin getting some starts in LF/RF/DH)? Swisher is TERRIBLE in CF. He's no different than Mackowiak was out there.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
My question why isnt ozuna hitting leadoff? He has killed cc sabathia

now this is lineup: swish, ocab, thome, konerko, dye, aj, crede, anderson or quentin and pablo hitting 9th

The article states that Ozuna is leading off on opening day against Sabathia, check it again.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:29 AM)
I don't care if Swisher is decent or even above average in CF. Any time Anderson has been in CF, he has been stellar. If he is going to be in the lineup, at least put him in the position that he is most effective in, CF.

If it really is Anderson in LF, Swisher in CF, it's Ozzie not using his resources correctly, plain and simple. This is all a moot point of Quentin is the LF opening day.

This might be the only time I'll say this all year, but Ozzie isn't stupid. This means Quentin is going to start opening day in LF. The only other possibility is we'll start Uribe or Ramirez at 2nd base on opening day, and Ozuna in LF.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
I don't care if Swisher is decent or even above average in CF. Any time Anderson has been in CF, he has been stellar. If he is going to be in the lineup, at least put him in the position that he is most effective in, CF.

If it really is Anderson in LF, Swisher in CF, it's Ozzie not using his resources correctly, plain and simple. This is all a moot point of Quentin is the LF opening day.

Yeah definitely. I feel the same.

This means that once Prancer2.0 comes back he will be awarded the starting CF job and leadoff role.

Edited by Whitewashed in '05

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
This might be the only time I'll say this all year, but Ozzie isn't stupid. This means Quentin is going to start opening day in LF. The only other possibility is we'll start Uribe or Ramirez at 2nd base on opening day, and Ozuna in LF.

I will now stop posting and stock up on dry goods as the end of the world is nigh.... :lol:

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)

That has to be it. The only two possibilities I can think of.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Swisher had a RZR in high .800's last season in a bigger ballpark when playing CF.

He's not TERRIBLE out there.

It's not a question of being terrible. It's a question of how much better our other option is. It's comparing a decent CF to a possibly great CF. You give up maybe 20 runs in a season if you go from Swisher to Mackowiak, but then you save like 20 more runs if you go from Swisher to Anderson.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:25 PM)
Swisher is TERRIBLE in CF. He's no different than Mackowiak was out there.

You're wrong, at least as far as the stats go.

2.66 RF .839 ZR -Swish career in CF

2.27 RF .801 ZR -Mack career in CF

For comparison's sake:

2.83 RF .885 ZR-BA

So Swish is squarely between Mack and BA.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:39 AM)
It's not a question of being terrible. It's a question of how much better our other option is. It's comparing a decent CF to a possibly great CF. You give up maybe 20 runs in a season if you go from Swisher to Mackowiak, but then you save like 20 more runs if you go from Swisher to Anderson.

Thanks for summing up what I meant when comparing Mackowiak/Swisher to having Anderson out there. Hopefully Quentin hits well at the start, and Anderson isn't needed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)

I'm perfectly fine with a Quentin - Swisher - Dye OF, but I can see why people would rather the Swisher - Anderson - Dye OF instead.

I just think even though BA has hit well so far, he'd be ideal as a 4th OF. Put him in as a late inning defensive replacement constantly, and give him at least 2 starts a week.

Quentin is the better offensive option out of the 2, and he's pretty good in a corner spot defensively (so long as his shoulder is ok).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)

I personally think that Quentin's offensive production would outproduce the benefits that you would have starting BA over Swisher in CF.

And that's just because I think if he was fully healthy, Quentin is capable of a .800-.850 OPS this season.

Don't think BA can do that for a full season.