THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

whitesoxfan101

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(max power @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)
I am not as down on the count as most people. He only sucked a little. He didn't get much help defensively. He struggled too, yes, but it wasn't as bad as most people in other threads would say.

He did, and yes it was. It wasn't like Vazquez's outing. He pretty much has to do a complete 180.

Edited by lostfan

I am shocked that Contreras only allowed 5 runs. He was lucky they only scored 5, as they could have easily put up double digits against him. But right now, the Tigers suck. Plain and simple, Contreras was flat out bad today, and had nothing. Plus, that radar gun is wrong about Contreras' velocity. No way were some of his pitches 93-94.

Pierzynski is on a tear right now, and I am loving. Our pen pitched great, for the most part. I am worried about the fact that Jenks could barely get up to 93 though. When his fastball is as straight as his, it better be really fast or you better have pinpoint accuracy with it.

And I still can't stand the un-dynamic duo of Crede and Uribe being in the lineup.

Good win though.

I agree that he wasn't good but with better defense Contreras could have allowed as little as 3 runs or with some bad luck, double digits too. The same goes for the tigers point of view, though more pessimistic. The tigers could have easily let up 15 runs today.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 06:07 PM)
Pierzynski is on a tear right now, and I am loving. Our pen pitched great, for the most part. I am worried about the fact that Jenks could barely get up to 93 though. When his fastball is as straight as his, it better be really fast or you better have pinpoint accuracy with it.

How many times have we heard exactly the same thing about Bobby and Velocity to start a season now? And each time we hear it he seems to get better. He's throwing right where he was last year as far as I can tell, and from what I've seen his fastball seems to have a lot more bite/movement on it than it used to when he was throwing 102 and straight.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
I loved the LF - Quentin, CF - Swisher lineup.

Ditto.

And I hope they leave it that way.

Owens doesn't bring enough to the table offensively or defensively to justify changing it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:07 PM)
How many times have we heard exactly the same thing about Bobby and Velocity to start a season now? And each time we hear it he seems to get better. He's throwing right where he was last year as far as I can tell, and from what I've seen his fastball seems to have a lot more bite/movement on it than it used to when he was throwing 102 and straight.

I know, it's the same story year in and year out... but it always scares me. If Dye whiffs on that dive attempt, it could have been a completely different ball game. However, we still got the W, and there is no reason to argue this... for now at least.

QUOTE(max power @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:06 PM)
I agree that he wasn't good but with better defense Contreras could have allowed as little as 3 runs or with some bad luck, double digits too. The same goes for the tigers point of view, though more pessimistic. The tigers could have easily let up 15 runs today.

Contreras threw so many hanging splitters and nothing pitches down the middle today... he is very lucky he wasn't knocked out in the 2nd like Buehrle was, IMO.

But, we got lucky in the fact that right now, Detroit is terrible offensively.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)

Agreed, Bobby used to be brought up as a starter before he failed at that, so he has 4 pitches. It's not a big deal if his fastball is missing a couple mph if his control is still there.

QUOTE(max power @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
I disagree? Weird of you to say things so matter of fact like you are the only one who watched the game.

There's really not that much to dispute though. He was throwing meat, walking guys, and his stuff just wasn't there and nobody was fooled by anything. Uribe's error didn't help things but it was just all around terrible... maybe he might skate by on a weak offensive team.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
Agreed, Bobby used to be brought up as a starter before he failed at that, so he has 4 pitches. It's not a big deal if his fastball is missing a couple mph if his control is still there.

He has more than 4 pitches. And he throws them ALL for strikes. He has mid-90's ability right now if he unleashed it, he was hitting 94 on gameday IIRC, but its his other stuff thats nasty. When I watched him this afternoon, it appears he either learned a splitty or its just a different change.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
He has more than 4 pitches. And he throws them ALL for strikes. He has mid-90's ability right now if he unleashed it, he was hitting 94 on gameday IIRC, but its his other stuff thats nasty. When I watched him this afternoon, it appears he either learned a splitty or its just a different change.

Not that he does or would ever throw it in a game, but i think Bobby throw a knuckleball. I thought I remember hearing that he threw BP to gear up for a game against a knuckleball pitcher once (maybe Wakefield?).

Edited by southsidehawkeye

I think it's time to put Jose out to pasture. He clearly has nothing left at this point in his career. At least move him to 5th starter duty. I'd love to see Quentin get 500 PA this year, he seems like a vast upgrade over Owens/Pods/Erstad/ garbage that we've had in LF the past few years. s***, I almost forgot what it's like to have a LF with some pop...

Team is at least showing some signs of life early on, if AJ can stay healthy and have an OPS+ somewhere at least slightly north of 100 it will be a HUGE boost. Same goes with Quentin.

Now if we can just trade Crede for a bag of balls and get Fields' bat into the lineup it will be all good. I'm about sick of Profundo's 0-4 2K lines as well. Richar and Fields playing everyday would make me very happy. Get well soon Richar.

Bullpen? Wow. Nothing but good things to say so far. Hell, even Massett has looked decent. These are just misleading small sample sizes though. We'll see how everything looks in late July.

I still don't think this team has anywhere near enough talent to compete in the loaded Central, but perhaps they can stay competitive into late summer before crapping out and winning around 80 games. Sad that a payroll above 120 million is getting us that.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
I'm about sick of Profundo's 0-4 2K lines as well. Richar and Fields playing everyday would make me very happy. Get well soon Richar.

I still think that there'd be a lot of 0-4 2K lines with Richar and Fields in there.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
Now if we can just trade Crede for a bag of balls and get Fields' bat into the lineup it will be all good. I'm about sick of Profundo's 0-4 2K lines as well. Richar and Fields playing everyday would make me very happy. Get well soon Richar.

BTW - Fields struck out 6 times in 8 at-bats in Charlotte's first two games.

BTW - Fields struck out 6 times in 8 at-bats in Charlotte's first two games.

if this guy posted more often, i bet he'd be the most popular poster on soxtalk.