Would today be a good day to start Brian Anderson?

Bubba Philips

Plus, our utility players are better than they have been in the past so it won't be painful to watch. With the exception of Hall, who sucks, and Ozuna who is firmly established as a bench guy, a case could be made for many of our backups to be starting at any given point.

You know who never really had a fair shot on this team through no fault of his own or the organization? Ross Gload.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
I have to disagree with this. We've already won the series, so if Ozzie wants to rest a starter or two, tonight is the night to do it. The fact that it's on national TV shouldn't matter.

I wouldn't have a problem with Ozzie playing our usual lineup, but I definitely don't want to see Bobby or Linebrink out there tonight. Those guys need a day off.

If you want to rest a starter, don't do it against the big dogs in the division, where a win is considered more important (because you add a win to your count and give a big AL contender a loss). If there is ever a time to go for the sweep, tonight would be that night. Plus you are going up against the teams ace and have your very own ace on the mound so why not try to make a statement that last season is gone and this season is here.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 06:16 PM)
IF you have the two of them rotating you are really asking for them to both fail as neither would truly be given an opportunity. The reality is Brian Anderson had a full season to prove himself and he didn't. Now he's going to have to have a few things go his way (on top of doing nothing but busting his ass) to get a second shot at starting every day (and he better make the most of it if that chance happens again in Chicago).

I'm not saying BA can't be a good player, but there is no way you could possibly make a case for sitting Carlos Quentin over him. Quentin has better tools, is patient at the plate and projects to be such a better player (not to mention he already is a better player).

IT may not be fair, but when you have two other veterans who are locks to start (Dye/Swisher) than BA is just going to be the odd man out (I will say that I would see the point if Owens was starting every day and BA was just stuck behind him with the Sox not having Quentin).

His chance to prove us was two years ago, and he clearly has changed his swing since then. I don't think that 2006 campaign is a good enough evaluation. And I'm not saying to rotate them for the whole season, or even that long, I just think BA deserves as many starts as Quetin gets in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. It's just how it should be to evalute the talent we have. I don't agree with the way BA has been handled by this organization, and I don't think I ever will. That's just how its gonna be, I guess. Hopefully Quetin just keeps producing, I guess, and BA is traded to a team that needs an ace centerfielder (defensivly) with a bat that appears to be workable (based on his spring).

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
His chance to prove us was two years ago, and he clearly has changed his swing since then. I don't think that 2006 campaign is a good enough evaluation. And I'm not saying to rotate them for the whole season, or even that long, I just think BA deserves as many starts as Quetin gets in the first 2-3 weeks of the season. It's just how it should be to evalute the talent we have. I don't agree with the way BA has been handled by this organization, and I don't think I ever will. That's just how its gonna be, I guess. Hopefully Quetin just keeps producing, I guess, and BA is traded to a team that needs an ace centerfielder (defensivly) with a bat that appears to be workable (based on his spring).

I complain more than anyone about the way the Sox have handled young players and while I griped a lot about Brian Anderson and the way he was handled early in his career in Chicago the more I ended up finding out the more I realized why.

He worked hard this off-season, but last year in limited play his swing hadn't been fixed. It definitely looked improved this season but lets not forget he's had good springs in the past. I will say that I was impressed with hearing about his new attitude and about his improved swing. That said why not show off that improved swing down in AAA if need be.

Carlos Quentin is better. He's more talented almost all the way across the board with BA being better defensively (since he can play a better CF, in fact, an outstanding CF). But BA put himself in that spot and now after having two different chances (he had a chance last spring to earn a starting job but again had a poor attitude and Erstad started over him; yes Ozzie liked the veteran but had BA showed up last year with this seasons attitude he'd have gotten a chance). After that you aren't going to get handed s*** and now he's going to have to wait his turn.

I will say I wish he wasn't hurt the 2nd half of last year because it was horrid watching guys like Owens/Gonzalez/Terrero/Erstad/Pods actually play cause none of those guys are even close to being as talented as BA. This season, I can safely say that Swisher/Dye/Quentin are all more talented and thus I can't b**** one bit about BA not playing. The only gripe I have is to Owens or BA being the 4th. BA provides the better defense while Owens provides a great pinch runner of the bench. BA could always stay up when Owens comes back as the defensive guy with JO being the runner (Alexei to the minors) but I really would like BA to get consistent AB's and continue to work on his new swing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
If you want to rest a starter, don't do it against the big dogs in the division, where a win is considered more important (because you add a win to your count and give a big AL contender a loss). If there is ever a time to go for the sweep, tonight would be that night. Plus you are going up against the teams ace and have your very own ace on the mound so why not try to make a statement that last season is gone and this season is here.

I'm all for winning as much as possible within the division, but we're going to be at less-than-full strength anyway with Jenks, Linebrink, and Logan most likely unavailable. Plus, I'm not sure that the 0-5 Tigers qualify as a "big dog" right now. :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
He worked hard this off-season, but last year in limited play his swing hadn't been fixed. It definitely looked improved this season but lets not forget he's had good springs in the past. I will say that I was impressed with hearing about his new attitude and about his improved swing. That said why not show off that improved swing down in AAA if need be.

I am all for BA being sent down if this is how its going to be. If hes going to play 2 innings a week as a defensive replacement (but not really, he should have been in yesterday), then this is not what he needs. He needs consistent ABs, even though hes proven he can do it in AAA. Really though, I either want him starting semi-regularly or in AAA or another team. No need keeping him here then.

It sucks, but if he isn't going to get his shot, then fine, get rid of him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
There's only one true solution. Bench Nick Swisher.

I'm sorry I started this thread.. Brian looked horrible at the plate! I think Uribe is Brian's hero. He's copied his wild swing. Only Brian's swing is a lot longer. It was a good time to play him with the sox leading by10...

QUOTE(forrestg @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)
I'm sorry I started this thread.. Brian looked horrible at the plate! I think Uribe is Brian's hero. He's copied his wild swing. Only Brian's swing is a lot longer. It was a good time to play him with the sox leading by10...

Huh? No he didn't, at least not in his first PA, that one was actually really good. His second one he did but I mean damn, it's only 2 ABs. He will never be fully able to apply this until he gets consistent ABs, be it up at the MLB level or at Charlotte.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
What, in 16 AB's? Wow, what a huge sample size! Paulie might be going through a bit of a funk right now, and hasn't had great success vs. Verlander, but you don't bench your big bopper vs. a team's ace... especially this early into the season. Plus, Verlander has a great fastball and PK is a fastball hitter. This is as bad as people who wanted Thome benched vs. Sabathia because he hasn't gotten a lot of hits vs. him in 11 AB's.

Give me a freaking break... you know you can sometimes overmanage, and benching players like Thome and Konerko vs. a pitcher they haven't had great success in 10 some AB's would be a case of that.

I never said it would be a good idea. I was just adding to the thread by giving a possible justification for such a move. You need to calm down when replying, this fiery bulls*** is just going to lead to me ignoring your posts.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)

Yeah completely disagree. His swing is always going to be long, but he looked to be getting to the ball much better. He looked a bit uncomfortable at the plate too, but I would imagine not seeing live action in a week would probably do that to you.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:28 PM)

I actually thought he looked pretty good at the plate in his first appearance. His swing seemed much more natural than it did before and got robbed of a hit. His second at-bat, he did look tight and nervous though.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
I never said it would be a good idea. I was just adding to the thread by giving a possible justification for such a move. You need to calm down when replying, this fiery bulls*** is just going to lead to me ignoring your posts.

Oh oh, you gone and done pissed off the Kalapse. I wouldn't make Kalapse angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry. [note the green is Kalapse turning into the Hulk and not sarcasm] :lol:

Edited by heirdog